Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos Not Available on Base Station

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

221 REPLIES 221
dujcym18
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, exactly same issue I experienced lately. with port forwarding, I am able to access all cameras, but no able to access vids saved in Base Station. 

cammerz
Guide
Guide

Are you on iOS? I just tried factory resetting mine and setting it all back up but still not working

dujcym18
Tutor
Tutor

it is IOS, so this means it is not Arlo issue, rather IOS issue? 

gbweir
Guide
Guide

I'm on IOS 17.5.1

What I did worked for me. Maybe just a coincidence

I've never used port forwarding, so was not an issue

Henrysky
Star
Star

No, it is not an IOS issue.

I could not find any records in my library when I log in windows' Arlo Web Portal. It SAYS "no recording", but actually all file recorded in my base station USB.

Henrysky
Star
Star

I wish this is an IOS issue, but it is same when I use windows Arlo web portal.

Any Arlo's response? So curious...

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

This will never get fixed. I’m just getting the non stop ads in-app to purchase a subscription plan.. I guess we are out of luck.. Arlos way to take our money

Henrysky
Star
Star

Technically, please make sure this is any IOS issue, the bug comes from current IOS app.

And also, would you like explain why I can not find any recording from my library when I use windows' Arlo web portal?windows' Arlo web portal is also IOS....I do not think so.

Henrysky
Star
Star

That is the root cause?

If that is the root cause, they are ruining they brand and reputation.

Henrysky
Star
Star

Oh, yes.

Port forwarding also not working with the windows with your Arlo web potal.

Henrysky
Star
Star

I do not think it is a good work around.  it is just something work despite the problem

Henrysky
Star
Star

Same thing, not work when use windows' ARLO web portal.

Tim Cook and Bill Gates, they all made this problem with Arlo?

Henrysky
Star
Star

I am not sure any update from Arlo side?

Henrysky
Star
Star

Please change the name--Videos Not Available on Base Station.

Actually, it is port forwarding stop. The videos can be found in USB.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrysky wrote:

I wish this is an IOS issue, but it is same when I use windows Arlo web portal.

Direct access to local storage is only available in the app.  It has never been available from my.arlo.com.

dujcym18
Tutor
Tutor

That is correct regarding "Direct access to local storage is only available in the app.  It has never been available from my.arlo.com."

Hi everyone, please allow me to correct the issue we are facing: 

1) Direct access to local storagte is only available in app, not web because by no means should Arlo access your home device's storage. If so, it poses huge risk to both Arlo and users from privacy and legal perspective

2) We are talking about access Arlo Cameras and Base Station clips remotely by using port forwarding. 

3) I have set up port forwarding, and port forwarding itself is successful. And you can verify your own port forwarding setup by using below link 

https://www.portchecktool.com/

4) Obviously my port forwarding is set up correctly because I am able to access all cameras remotely. 

5) So what is the issue we are trying to fix? Previously, with port forwarding, I was able to access all cameras linked to base station, as well as acess to video clips saved in Arlo Base Station. Now, I am only able to access all cameras but I am not able to access video saved in Arlo Base Station. 

Hope it clarifies

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dujcym18 wrote:

Previously, with port forwarding, I was able to access all cameras linked to base station, as well as acess to video clips saved in Arlo Base Station. Now, I am only able to access all cameras but I am not able to access video saved in Arlo Base Station. 

Are you using iOS or Android?  This is a known issue with the current iOS app.   Arlo knows about it, but haven't given a fix date.

The only workaround at present is to set up a home VPN server, and use that instead of port forwarding.  Some high-end routers (Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk to give two examples) have OpenVPN built-in.

@dujcym18 wrote:

1) Direct access to local storagte is only available in app, not web because by no means should Arlo access your home device's storage. If so, it poses huge risk to both Arlo and users from privacy and legal perspective

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Whatever the concern, Direct access to local storage is only available in the app, and not the browser.  The recordings are downloaded directly from the base by the app, they are not traversing the Arlo cloud.

dujcym18
Tutor
Tutor

got it. Thanks

Yes, I am using IOS so it is indeed IOS issue. 

Pauld33
Tutor
Tutor

Been having this issue for more than a month. What it all boils down to is the iOS app update to 4.14 and now 4.15 somehow broke the port forwarding. I have 2 phones - one that I haven’t updated the software since 4.13, and the other where I have. The phone running 4.13 still works, but the one with the newer versions of the app does not work when away from the local network.

I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting and did it again with the support chat today and even after reinstalling my whole system, still have the issue - it works on 4.13 but not on 4.15. (A side benefit of reinstalling my whole system was that Arlo thinks my cameras are “new” again and now I have another 3 free month trial of their cloud, so at least I will have remote access until hopefully this is fixed.)

I'm am told their “higher level” team is looking into the issue now.

kamranbaig
Tutor
Tutor

I am using IOS and never had a problem with old hub which has been replaced some weeks ago. I could access my camera's and videos any where in UK or outside UK.

This new hub, automatically updated Arlo new version and now I can't access my video clips any where (other than home network). I contacted Arlo and been told there is a problem with Arlo which they are trying to fix and since than I am waiting for this fix.

In my opinion, there isn't any problem with IOS, the real problem is with Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kamranbaig wrote:

In my opinion, there isn't any problem with IOS, the real problem is with Arlo.

The facts are that it

• works using the Android app
  • works with a home VPN using the iOS app
  • fails with port forwarding using the iOS app.

You can draw whatever conclusion you like from the above.  My own conclusion is that there is a problem with the iOS app.

bradu2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guys, me (and also other users here) have tried tons of settings, it's clearly a bug of the iOS app.

What I can suggest to all of you is to open a ticket with Arlo, referring to this discussion. They have answered to me - one month ago!! - that the issue is now known and their technicians are working on this as a first priority.

To be honest, after a month, I think that they are not really working on this issue. I hope that some tech firm (The Verge, Macrumors, Macstories and others) could have a story about this issue, because it's simply shameful. But I'm afraid that this topic is touching a relatively small percentage of users, and so, for Arlo, is simply OK to have this problem still live (indirectly, they are forcing for a subscription plan, as said also in this thread).