Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Prat32
Tutor
Tutor

What happen to this release I’m waiting for this it’s been second half of 2019 any news please let us know thanks

132 REPLIES 132
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It might be listed in the IOS app but it's not in the Android app released this morning, that is why I was unsure when JamesC said they had some things to wrap up.  Makes it seem the app would need another update to implement the link.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I love how the most recent SmartHub firmware update says that locally recorded viewing is now available - then there’s a follow up note from another employee saying “ohh by the way - this feature isn’t in yet but it’s coming”

All regarding the same update.

What a joke - these clowns couldn’t find their own rump with both hands if their life depended on it.

Bunch of worthless jokers running a major corporation.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

10 months ago people were saying " give them a chance, the Pro 2 had issues to start with".  Then they were asking  why does every fix break something else".  Next was " they are more concerned with the new stuff "  Now it's down to outright anger with Arlo and complaints to BBB.  Also, no it's not just a few hubs if you've paid any attention to this forum and other complaints.  If Arlo isn't worried, they should be.  I'm starting to wonder why Netgear dropped them if they considered them a profitable product and already part has been sold off oversees by the new owners.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
@LandJS this is what happens when you let an open wound fester with no attention.

They have totally shart the bed on everything.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This feature will be available very soon. The development team still has some small changes to make before the feature is fully available but the 2.12 version of the mobile app will be the version needed to support direct storage access. I will provide an update here when this feature is fully available.

JamesC

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi all - like James mentioned, we're finishing up the final details on Direct Storage Access. We'll have another update on the community once this is live for everyone. 

Apologies again on the release note; the intention was to indicate that this is an upcoming feature that you will need v2.12 of our iOS app and a SmartHub to use.

Just a little longer, folks!

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

James and Alex,

Thanks for the update.

Question: I understand that the storage remote access capability will require a basestation firmware update and an Arlo app update. Regarding the latter, I read that the required iOS version is v2.12 (just released).

The iOS release notes for v2.12 state that the ability to enable local access is an option under Settings, and another member has commented that the option is already there - just greyed out.

However, it isn't an option - greyed out or otherwise - on my iPhone XS running iOS 13.3. Have I misunderstood something?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @punchbuggy - If there is a device inserted into the SmartHub or base station, then the option to enable "local storage" should not be greyed out. This toggle should only be grey if there is no storage inserted (or detected).  

The new feature, which I think you're referencing, is "Direct Storage Access", which will appear on that same "local storage" settings page when it goes live. So, it's normal to not see it at this moment.  

Otherwise, you're good from an iOS perspective (iOS 13.3 and Arlo app v2.12), and if you have a SmartHub, this feature will appear for you when we roll it out.

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your response, Alex.

However, I DO have an SD card installed, but no option as discussed.

Please note the attached screen shot (Arlo 2.12).

And you're correct Alex - I'm referring to Direct Storage Access. But was you response to say that I shouldn't yet see Anything on Arlo yet related to enabling this feature?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @punchbuggy - From your screenshot, the first thing I actually see is a bug that will be resolved in an upcoming app release : the minimum supported microSD card capacity for the Ultra SmartHub is 16GB, and after we roll out the fix, the SD Card Status will communicate such. Please accept my apologies if this is the microSD card that you've been using in your SmartHub. 

Beyond that, this screen is appearing correctly, and Direct Storage Access will appear as an item beneath "Safely Eject SD Card" when it launches.

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

Awesome. Thanks for the clarity there, Alex. Looks like it's time to do more Christmas shopping (for a larger SD Card). hehe

Ks5134
Tutor
Tutor
The new base station FW has been pushed out but I still don’t have the option available.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Did you read the post 3 posts above what you wrote? It’s coming. Not here yet.
Ks5134
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I did read the posts before mine. A new fw version was rolled out this morning and it’s still not working.
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Correct, Direct Storage Access is not yet available - still working on those finishing touches. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

ArloAlex, good to see someone on here trying to give JamesC a hand, since it shows you as an employee let me throw this in.  Something needs to change at the bottom rung of support, something other than those reading through a scripted list.  I've had 5 tickets, two of which ended up being moved up, when they were I was e-mailed a transcript of our conversation.  Both times the transcript was completely foreign to our conversation to the point I didn't recognize what conversation was this ?  I got past that level and the problem got fixed.  The engineer people said they had never heard about it, that was after 6 months of complaints.  If it's messed up when moving up, it's pointless.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for the feedback, @LandJS - I'll pass this up the chain.

FrankRN
Guide
Guide
Hi All,
Maybe you can clear up some confusion for me. Arlo CEO tweeted out that local recordings (SD Card) can now be viewed through the app. My understanding is that it is no longer required to remove the SD card from the base station and insert it in a computer to view clips recorded on the SD card.
For the life of me I can not find any place in the Arlo app where SD card clips can be viewed. The base station recognizes my SD card. It shows how full/empty it is. And if I insert the SD card in a computer, there are hundreds and hundreds of clips to view.
Am I mistaken about the implementation of this feature? If no, can you point me in the right direction. I do have the latest app and firmware.
Thank you!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankRN,

This feature isn't available just yet. The development team is still working on finishing up the final pieces of this implementation. This will be available very soon and we'll let you know once it's ready.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing Direct Storage Access
We know you’ve been eager for a solution to get easy access to your locally stored videos without dealing with the hassle of removing the microSD card or USB drive from your SmartHub, and we’re excited to announce the availability of our new Direct Storage Access feature on Arlo SmartHubs (VMB5000 and VMB4540).  Direct Storage Access feature is now available on Android and iOS. 

Direct Storage Access is an alternate storage option for those of you that are specifically looking for ways to access videos stored locally on the media cards on select Arlo SmartHubs. Instead of pulling out the micro SD card or USB storage and plugging it into your computer to view videos, Direct Storage Access gives you a simple way to directly view videos at the full resolution of your Arlo camera through your Arlo App over the local network.

Please note that Direct Storage Access is not an Arlo Smart feature, but for many of you with Arlo Smart subscription, Direct Storage Access is an incremental storage solution to the existing experience with Arlo Smart.

Point-to-Point Peace of Mind
We know that some users who value security and privacy prefer to store their video recordings on-site versus on a third-party server in the cloud. As such, Direct Storage Access is architected to provide direct point-to-point access to locally stored videos ensuring that the videos are never passed through or processed by any intermediate server.

When you choose to store videos locally, your content remains totally yours and local on your own network at all times.  However, this also means that Arlo can’t process thumbnails at this time because that is normally accomplished via cloud assets that will no longer be receiving the clips.  We know this might be disappointing to some, but it is important we remain pure to the privacy expectations for Direct Storage Access.  Arlo is looking into alternative methods for producing thumbnails for a future version of this feature.

Remote Access to Locally Stored Videos
For those that want to access locally stored videos remotely, this privacy first architecture creates several options.  Each option has its advantages and disadvantages and is further complicated by the fact that ISPs typically block incoming requests.

1. VPN: many advanced routers for home and small businesses have built in VPN functionality that provides the most secure access to your local network and stored files.

1. Port forwarding: you can configure your router to forward an outward facing port to the Arlo SmartHub for convenient but less secure access to your locally stored files.

The Arlo App provides configuration instructions to set-up a port forwarding connections.  For more information, please visit: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Both options ensure that your files are not being processed, reflected, or forwarded through a third party site or server.  Arlo is also investigating additional privacy options for remote access that are consistent with this stance.

Direct Storage Access is a high-performance solution fully integrated into the Arlo App that ensures your locally stored, full resolution videos are truly under your control to ensure the privacy and security you expect. And we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as we consider further features and enhancements in the future.

-The Arlo Team

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

Great to hear that the feature is finally available. Thanks Arlo, and for your help over the last exciting year, James.

I'm disappointed that the iOS version is held up though. I'm feeling it's the challenge of getting anything certified with Apple again - did anyone mention geofencing? Eek! Anyway, I hope that doesn't take too long...

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Great that it's there but nothing happens when you click on it and you can only access it at home, yeah keep paying for the cloud if you leave home.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Hope I can get port fwd working I guess

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JamesC, am I misunderstanding this post.  I am at home on my network and have the new app, the link is there to select storage source but clicking on the link does nothing, it simply remains on cloud ?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @LandJS - After enabling Direct Storage Access, the app may need a moment to bring up the SmartHub library.

Alternatively, if you do indeed see “SmartHub” in the popup at the bottom but are unable to click on it, can you advise if closing and re-opening the app helps here.