Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

Discussion stats
Prat32
Tutor
Tutor

What happen to this release I’m waiting for this it’s been second half of 2019 any news please let us know thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing Direct Storage Access
We know you’ve been eager for a solution to get easy access to your locally stored videos without dealing with the hassle of removing the microSD card or USB drive from your SmartHub, and we’re excited to announce the availability of our new Direct Storage Access feature on Arlo SmartHubs (VMB5000 and VMB4540).  Direct Storage Access feature is now available on Android and iOS. 

Direct Storage Access is an alternate storage option for those of you that are specifically looking for ways to access videos stored locally on the media cards on select Arlo SmartHubs. Instead of pulling out the micro SD card or USB storage and plugging it into your computer to view videos, Direct Storage Access gives you a simple way to directly view videos at the full resolution of your Arlo camera through your Arlo App over the local network.

Please note that Direct Storage Access is not an Arlo Smart feature, but for many of you with Arlo Smart subscription, Direct Storage Access is an incremental storage solution to the existing experience with Arlo Smart.

Point-to-Point Peace of Mind
We know that some users who value security and privacy prefer to store their video recordings on-site versus on a third-party server in the cloud. As such, Direct Storage Access is architected to provide direct point-to-point access to locally stored videos ensuring that the videos are never passed through or processed by any intermediate server.

When you choose to store videos locally, your content remains totally yours and local on your own network at all times.  However, this also means that Arlo can’t process thumbnails at this time because that is normally accomplished via cloud assets that will no longer be receiving the clips.  We know this might be disappointing to some, but it is important we remain pure to the privacy expectations for Direct Storage Access.  Arlo is looking into alternative methods for producing thumbnails for a future version of this feature.

Remote Access to Locally Stored Videos
For those that want to access locally stored videos remotely, this privacy first architecture creates several options.  Each option has its advantages and disadvantages and is further complicated by the fact that ISPs typically block incoming requests.

1. VPN: many advanced routers for home and small businesses have built in VPN functionality that provides the most secure access to your local network and stored files.

1. Port forwarding: you can configure your router to forward an outward facing port to the Arlo SmartHub for convenient but less secure access to your locally stored files.

The Arlo App provides configuration instructions to set-up a port forwarding connections.  For more information, please visit: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Both options ensure that your files are not being processed, reflected, or forwarded through a third party site or server.  Arlo is also investigating additional privacy options for remote access that are consistent with this stance.

Direct Storage Access is a high-performance solution fully integrated into the Arlo App that ensures your locally stored, full resolution videos are truly under your control to ensure the privacy and security you expect. And we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as we consider further features and enhancements in the future.

-The Arlo Team

View solution in original post

132 REPLIES 132
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
In the product managers interview thread which you can read pinned at the top here they said later this year and they are working on it currently.
Prat32
Tutor
Tutor

Thx for response but can’t find it 

Prat32
Tutor
Tutor

Got it thanks

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@james C

I am too interested in this, as I understand it currently, Arlo Ultra requires a Monthly Subscription to Arlo Smart Premier to use ANY features at the moment and you cannot access your locally stored clips on the Ultra Base Station unless you have a Arlo Smart Premier Plan, and if you have a Micro SD card installed and are trying to access the clips locally avoiding the now monthly cost for the Arlo Smart Premier Plan via the current shipping version of the Arlo App, you can’t. I was told by your support team you have to take the Micro SD card out of the Ultra Base Station each time and view the clips on a computer, which is a major inconvenience. Below is a KBase article that is listed that indicates..this feature may be coming? I thought we are now in the second half of 2019?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062202/Can-I-access-clips-stored-locally-on-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera

Also after talking with your support team over the last few days (Noreen S and Ren) that Arlo Ultra is indeed very different when comparing it to the Arlo Pro and Pro 2, but not really in a good way. You not only have to pay a premium for the system itself ($600+) then you have to pay an additional fee for Premium Video Recording Per Camera ($1.99) so your premium 4K Cameras you just bought will actually record in 4K. On top of that it seems that your “Annual Subscription” is no longer being offered as of August 1st 2019. Current Arlo Ultra users with the 1 year free Arlo Smart Premier membership will be now forced to pay a “Monthly Subscription” fee for their premium 4K camera system to even work moving forward. As I understand it, the Basic Plan, now called the “Free Plan” is having issues, and the features offered to Arlo Ultra users that choose to be apart of the Free Plan instead, after their 1 year Arlo Smart Premier membership runs out, these free features that you have listed currently do not work, such as:

- Remote and local live streaming
- Push notifications
- Auto Zoom and Tracking
- Two-way audio
- Local SD card recording

https://kb.arlo.com/000062162/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-Smart-Premier-1-year-service-pl...

These features currently Do NOT work. Is there any ETA on getting these features working? It would be great if it worked as currently advertised in your KBase articles before our Arlo Smart Premier Subscription ends. If not, why wouldn’t I just buy a Arlo Pro or Pro 2, because comparing the features of them all now, the Pro and Pro 2 seem better options with the limitations currently in place for the Arlo Ultra Cameras.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Best,

- D

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dj3w3ll1,

Remote access to local storage is still being worked on with an ETA for sometime in the second half of this year. You can find more information about this here: Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

If you have Ultra with no subscription plan, you will still receive the features listed here: What options will I have when the Arlo Smart Premier 1-year service plan ends?

If you're having trouble with these features, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate.

JamesC

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
It seems that after I did contact the Arlo Support Team (Noreen S and Ren) several days ago as I mentioned in my prior post, they have indicated this is a “known issue” for Arlo Ultra users who have currently selected the “Free Plan” and opted out of any Arlo Smart Premier Plan currently. Noreen S. and Ren both stated that it “had worked for some, but now it is not working for anyone that uses the Arlo Ultra System without a Arlo Smart Premier Plan attached.” So the features listed in the above KBase Article are incorrect as of this writing.

So my question is again, when will this be restored, so we don’t have to pay for a Smart Premier Plan after the 1 year free membership expires?

I will be awaiting your response.

Best,

- D
docwebrocker
Tutor
Tutor
I have read that you cannot access the local storage in the Arlo Ultra hub unless you take the sdd chip out and plug it into a computer. This would be a show stopper for me. I want to be able to look at recorded video immediately should there be an intruder. Is there any hope that this could change?
Syrathos
Guide
Guide
It’s in the pipeline to be coming, but not sure on the timeline.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Syrathos wrote:
It’s in the pipeline to be coming, but not sure on the timeline.

The only clue as to timing is that Arlo announced this feature in response to complaints that there is to be no permanent cloud storage for Ultra systems after the first year's bundled subscription.

Without a subscription of any sort, users are stuck with local recording and the need to take out the memory chip if you want to look at recordings.

As the Ultra system first arrived at the beginning of the year, those first adopters ill fall off the subscription system some time next February.

There is one wrinkle on that timing, the official Ultra release was in April. The early stuff was when Best Buy jumped the gun. So, sometime between February and April seems to be the deadline for local access. Miss that and there would be hell to pay from aggrieved buyers.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
docwebrocker
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for taking the time to resolve this question for me and probably many others. I really love what I've read about the Arlo Ultra and the reviews are great. The only deal breaker for me was the local access issue. Knowing there will be a fix coming is enough for me to hold off until it is released. I only have one other question in my mind about my purchase timing; that is if the fix will be software or hardware. If it is a software fix, I would go ahead with my purchase. Is there any indication which it will be?

Thanks again!
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
I purchased my unit on January 16th 2019. I hope there is an update before I have to renew.
MaximKa
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the beginning of the year Arlo announced that remote SD card access functionality will be available in the second half of 2019 without requiring subscription. Is this something Arlo is still working on? Is there an updated timeline on when this feature will be available?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MaximKa,

Remote access to local storage is still slated for release in the second half of this year.

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@MaximKa wrote:

In the beginning of the year Arlo announced that remote SD card access functionality will be available in the second half of 2019 without requiring subscription. Is this something Arlo is still working on? Is there an updated timeline on when this feature will be available?

If this feature isn't available by the time that the first Ultra subscriptions die – next January, although April was the official launch – there will be street demonstrations that match those of last month's climate change marches.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
I too am concerned about this update. I purchased my unit on 1-16-2019. I hope they update this feature before then.
Redpower187
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is now nearing the end of the year and there is still no access to local SD card recordings via iOS, Android or the Web Portal, this needs to happen asap.
Redpower187
Apprentice
Apprentice
Please add the ability to view local SD card recordings from the iOS app, it is close enough to the end of the year and was promised for the second half of 2019.... Please Arlo!
Jramadan
Star
Star
I would love to see this release as well as a release for CVR to SD. I’m disappointed in arlo! I wish Samsung made 4k outdoor cameras because the smart cam setup is superior to this Arlo crap. Smart cam has way more range because cameras connect directly to router. Not some crap hub that has no range at all! Samsung also allows all access to recorded clips at full quality via the app. No charges for things that should come free with cameras! These are way overpriced and you want me to subscribe and pay per camera?! No!! I’m probably going to return these if I can. Very disappointed and these had so much potential. I would have purchased 14 cameras to cover my property but due to lack of range/ lack of CVR on Micro SD it’s not going to happen.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
They are working on it for the past 3 months really. I have a $25 camera that takes an SD card and I can access that SD card from anywhere in the world what is the problem. ISO dark mode is more important than this. Homekit is more important than this. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes for the library to update so I can see what motion has taken place
Redpower187
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is now the 1st of November are we going to have to wait to the 31st of December to get what was promised???

@JamesC
Can you please shed some light on what is happening with this promised feature?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
👍👍👍 the people that work for Arlo are notoriously slow to update things. Maybe they're saving it as a Christmas present
Scotts0
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sitting outside BestBuy. Got here a few minutes before opening and read this post. It’s November 17. Needing this to keep an eye on special needs son, I prefer storage be local only. We are 5/6 through the second half of the year. I’m not going to drop $1k plus on the system without this feature. I’ll wait.
abuzeyad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
Any good news for this update , I have 2 cameras that I am not using because of this issue
Redpower187
Apprentice
Apprentice
Noticed a new toggle with the recent iOS app update under My Devices -> Smart Hub -> Storage Settings called "Record Locally"

Tested it out and can confirm it works for Arlo Baby but not working yet for Ultra, so maybe soon.