Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a new Arlo Ultra (1st gen) and suddenly (has been fine up till today) I can NOT watch live through my iPhone app on WIFI but if I turn off WiFI cellular is fine however WiFI streams fine on my WIN 11 PC on the web.

Seems the APP on the iPhone is the issue but only using WIFI.  

Steps I have taken:

Assigned static IP to base station (model 5000)

Rebooted base

Power recycled base

Removed and added back everything.

Signal says "strong" (base is less than 25 feet from cam)

When I click on the "PLAY" arrow while on WiFi it immediately returns to the play button but as soon as I turn off WiFI it's streams fine on cellular.

I am a pretty "technical" person so I believe I have tried everything.  Very weird that it only streams live in my house on Cellular but not wi-fi.  WiFI is about 700Mbps/30Mbps so thast isn't an issue.  I also have a different brand video doorbell and that streams live fine as well as everything else I have so connectivity isn't an issue as wi-fi is fine with everything else I have.

Running IOS 16 (and have been for 3 months without issue)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The latest firmware updates for base stations and SmartHubs included a fix that should resolve a majority of the issues with 2K/4K live streams. We are continuing to investigate some corner case scenarios that could result in 2K/4K live stream failure. If you're still experiencing this issue, please let us know.

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team was also able to reproduce this issue and is currently investigating the root cause. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

108 REPLIES 108
CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

No live view happening this morning when I tap the play button. Anyone else? 

Craig

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the phone and maybe reinstalled the app?

CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have, no luck. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tested here and all ok... in NY

but then again, it may depend on your location as there are different main servers/hub locations.

Have you checked for any outages?

https://downdetector.com/status/arlo/

https://statusgator.com/services/arlo

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/arlo.com.html

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tried one of my Pro 3s here with no problem. Maybe reboot the camera or even reinsert the battery to reset it as well as reboot your hub?

CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, just finished doing this to all 6 cameras. No luck. Play button touched to view live, "connecting clock" spins for a fraction of second, but does not connect. I have tapped play multiple times in a row for each camera, stil nothing. Cameras record when tripped as normal, no problem there. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CraigArlo wrote:

Ok, just finished doing this to all 6 cameras.

Did you also restart the base?

CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

yes sir.

CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

If it matters, I run ios on apple, this morning was an update for ipad and iphone. ipad 15.7 and iphone 16. 

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to add:  Same problem on my iPad Mini 6 and my wife's iPhone as well.  WiFI no live stream on app, cellular is fine.  

Either it is an app issue or some new secret setting on my wifi network that I am not aware of.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have 4K livestreaming enabled in the app?  If you do, perhaps try disabling it, and see if livestreaming works again.

Also, did you update to iOS 16 yesterday?  FWIW, livestreaming an Ultra works on my iPhone 12 mini - I haven't upgraded yet, and 4K livestreaming is disabled.

CraigArlo
Apprentice
Apprentice

ok, digging deeper, if I disable/toggle off "local 2k live streaming" in video settings, all cameras operate normally. However, this makes 2k viewing feature useless. Perhaps Arlo can investigate further?

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I'll be darned ..... turning off 4K worked but 4K has been working for a week since I got this without issue.  NO, I didn't update yesterday because I have been running IOS 16 for months and have had the release version for about a week.  Nothing changed on this end from last night to this morning except that it's a new day.  🙂  Guess it's the same issue with my iPad Mini 6.

In any case, thanks for the temporary fix.  I should have my 14 Friday and hopefully won't have to disable 4K.

shatzini
Tutor
Tutor

Good afternoon all.  

My Arlo 4 Pro camera, registered to a Base Station, is able to successfully detect and record motion.  Even notification works. 

However,  when I click on the camera itself (from the app) to view live video, nothing happens.  I’ve tried on both iphone and ipad.  Lastest version/firmware on everything.  It’s worked in the past….

Looking for suggestions. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shatzini wrote:

However,  when I click on the camera itself (from the app) to view live video, nothing happens.  I’ve tried on both iphone and ipad.  Lastest version/firmware on everything.  It’s worked in the past….

Some users who upgraded recently to iOS 16 have reported this.

If you have 2K livestreaming enabled in the app, then disable it for now.  That seems to work around the problem.

shatzini
Tutor
Tutor

That did it.  Much thanks StephenB !!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team was also able to reproduce this issue and is currently investigating the root cause. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lol, 2+ hours of troubleshooting and hair pulling and, as I originally guessed, the issue is on your end.  🤪

Thanks though for the confirmation. 

Davatx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, mine are doing the same thing.

I’ve gone through all of the suggested steps and still no streaming. I’m also on iOS. Powered on and off my device and still no joy.

Let me know if you figure it out.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Davatx wrote:

Hey, mine are doing the same thing.

I’ve gone through all of the suggested steps

Including disabling 2K (or 4K) live streaming in the app?

yo123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. It was fine yesterday(Sep.12)  "after" ios16 update, still fine. Most likely related to today's firmware update of VMB5000 - 1.20.0.3_1322_a114662

I had to turn off local 4k live streaming, and watch no-4k live.

kng112
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. All my ultra 2 cameras can’t see live streaming on the app, only works on my desktop and my sister phone. I also use my account to login into my sister phone still can’t view live streaming. I’ve try everything, plug/unplug, take the battery out, reset the base station, even tho I’ve uninstall the app and reinstall back still doesn’t works. Already contacted support, he can’t fix it also. This is my 2nd time of having issue with different problems that I’m having within 3 months, so disappointed. 

Nanookie
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just submitted a ticket recently regarding a firmware issue on my vmb5000r4. One of my 3 smart hubs wasn’t updating to 1.19xxx and the live stream wasn’t working. Got this resolved finally, this weekend, and all my bases were on 1.19xxx and all my cams were properly live streaming in 2K or 4K. Just today, 3 days after everything was resolved, live stream wasn’t functioning again, and low and behold, another firmware update was released. I know my system pretty well, the new update obviously the issue.

Come on, Arlo. I’m reading patch notes that indicate bug fixes—well, you got more bugs. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If 4K livestreaming is enabled in your app, try disabling it (for now).