Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good evening everyone!

Over the last couple weeks, more and more of my cloud library recordings have a lot of solid gray color on them. I still receive the correct smart notifications on my Lock Screen. Additionally, sometimes the recording will go from working to almost solid gray screen. Or other times it’ll start in an almost solid gray screen and go to working again. This happens in my clips that pick up motion. It happens to both my Ultra cameras, but never at the same time.

This has happened in the past too but went away.

Anyone else experience this issue before?

Thanks,
Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If anyone is still experiencing this issue from their library recordings, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Here’s what another one looks like.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
And this is what it looks like when it’s working.
ecarez
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s happening to me too.
Past few weeks.
I thought it would’ve been one of my devices but I’ve tried multiple devices to dl/view and they’re all grayed out.
The only ones that actually work are the cloud saved ones in 4K.
Must be an issue on server side.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I have video issues, I start by rebooting the hub. Have you tried that?

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes i did reboot the base.

Jguerdat, have you ever had this issue?
Dr_S_HG
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue, but just with recordings on the memory card in the base station. Actually a few strange things happen

- not all recordings are shown in my cloud memory, but if they are showing up in the cloud I can view them and the recordings are OK; some recordings are definitely missing (car coming into driveway etc.), but no detectable pattern here

- the memory card has more recordings, but since a few weeks they are solid gray and can not be played

Will try some things today (reboot station, reset camera etc.)

Sascha

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I opened a support case with Arlo late last week (#41883421) for this issue.

So far they have had me delete the Arlo app and re-install it which made no difference.

I did also let them know it is happening on my wife's Arlo app on the exact same video thumbnails, I granted her access.  I also saw it on the my.arlo.com as well.

I have troubleshoot further by deleting the activity zones, removing the CVR plan.

After looking into further troubleshooting, it 'seems' this only happens during the day, when it is sunny and hot out.

It does not happen in the early mornings or in the evening once the sun is going down.

@ShayneS 

@JamesC 

@JessicaP 

Any help from the Arlo employees would be greatly appreciated (as always)!!  Can you please check on my open case or confirm if the very hot part of the day is causing my new problem.

Thank you as always!

Jonathan

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey n1976jmk,

I've escalated your case to the team to help you further. They should be reaching out to you once they finish reviewing your case.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

thank you very much!!

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

I still not heard from Arlo support at all since last Friday.  Could you please help?

everyone, can anyone let me know if you’ve ever experienced this issue and if so how you resolved?  It just started a few weeks ago for me.

thank you!!!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for letting me know that you haven't heard back. I've escalated your case to the team again and they'll contact you as soon as they can.

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Johnathan,

I saw the same here, and simply deleted the Old downloaded recordings from my iPhone 11 Pro.

On your iPhone, Go to Settings, SYSTEM, Clear downloaded videos, and all will be OK again.

[if some of the old recordings are important to retain on your iPhone, make a note of them, and scroll back later on and down load them again]

Note: I am not sure why this is necessary, I certainly was not out of memory capacity.  My iPhone 11 Pro has 256GB available...

Robert.

System installation:

Arlo Smart Hub: Hardware, VMB5000r4, SD Card 32GB, Firmware, 1.16.2.5_633_62dfaa0

Arlo Ultra Cameras (3): Hardware H6, Firmware, 1.070.50.4_223_df6cd69

No Smart Plan: expired in June 2020, not planning to renew.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73)

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13.6 (17G68)

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

hi Jessica, unfortunately it’s been a week today and Arlo Support has not contacted back at all.  I sent them additional messages as well with no response.

I will PM you now as well to follow up.

Thank you,

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey n1976jmk,

Thanks for letting me know again. I'll escalate your case again for you. I've also responded to your private message.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thank you Jessica!!!
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 
@JamesC 

@ShayneS 

I was thinking more,  could another test be to remove my two Ultra cameras from my account/reset and then add them back to my account.

Instead this time, connect my two Ultra cameras directly to my home WiFi instead of connecting them to my Smart Hub?

My only question before I do that is can my Arlo audio doorbell continue to try my front yard camera when it is pressed?

fyi my production setup:

qty 2 ultra cameras 

qty 1 audio doorbell battery powered (no home chime)

qty 1 plug in Arlo door chime 

I am asking about performing this step because I have one Arlo beta camera in ‘Staging’ at home that is connected to my home WiFi with no issues regarding gray thumbnails.

Thank you in advance for your continued time and wisdom!

RedDragon686
Initiate
Initiate
Hi i just started getting distorted notifications the screen shots sometimes have green bars at the bottom and sometimes most of it looks greyscale can't make out who or what is in the video without actually looking at the video which looks perfectly fine any idea what is going on? Model # VMS5240 Arlo ultra +
Thank you for your help
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@RedDragon686 

Join the club unfortunately, I’ve been dealing with this for over a month!!  See my Arlo app screenshot attached.

tickets open and actively staying in touch with support.

@JessicaP  here’s another customer with same issue as me 😢.

michaeljf69
Star
Star
This started happening for me a few days ago. Grey and half green screens in maybe 10% of cloud alerts.
TheHUTMan
Tutor
Tutor

@JessicaP 

Count me as another that has this happening just recently.  I have an Ultra 2 system, and it seems that randomly some of the cameras will show the snapshot image of the video with gray/green artifacts - pretty much like the software used to extract the image from the video isn't working properly.  Playing the video and it looks just fine - only the thumbnail image is corrupted.  Here are some samples from just today - sometimes the camera is fine, then it isn't, then it is again.  The image appears this way on my iPhones, iPads, and the website.

I'll add that "Package Detection" seems to think a school bus is a package. LOL.

Sbrown9119
Aspirant
Aspirant
This started with me also about 2 weeks ago
TheHUTMan
Tutor
Tutor

In my case, this started happening on 9/10/2020. Before that this never occurred.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JessicaP 

more and more customers with same issue here.

Thank you!!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you have two or less signal bar for your camera, I would suggest to move your camera(s) closer to the Base Station/SmartHub as there could be some interference. The following materials reduce signal strength the most:

• Large quantities of water, such as the water in a fish tank or water heater
  • Metal
  • Glass, especially mirrors
  • Ceramic
  • Stone
  • Concrete
  • Brick
  • Unusually thick walls and ceilings

If you're still experiencing this issue, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.