Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Goodoltom
Guide
Guide

Hey there! 

I’ve looked at previous threads referring to what seems to be an issue for others around activity zones, but it seems that the suggestions don’t solve my issue. 

The Problem: Excessive alerts and notifcations despite activity zones. 

I’ve attached a photo of the Activity Zone along with a clip of a truck that’s clearly outside of the zone. In other posts, I’ve read that I need to use a different mode outside of the “Armed” mode which I’ve done. I’ve also turned off Vehicles and All Other Motion Smart Notifications which have resulted in the same issue. 

4681F89A-BCA0-4BF4-AACB-DF98A34F8FF0.jpeg

Looking for any other suggestions

91 REPLIES 91
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image until approved. Don't forget that vehicles can reflect a lot of the sun's IR which could be causing this to happen. 

Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
Sure, but with vehicles and all other motion turned off I shouldnt have nearly as many notifications. Not to mention the small. activity zone.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've run into excess recordings with no apparent motion in my zone and I think the answer is that I was powering the camera so pixel detection was active. The PIR sensor wouldn't trigger but the pixel detection was. Unplugging the camera has calmed it down although more testing is needed to be sure. Is your camera AC powered?

Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
All cameras are working off battery.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it appears that you're using Smart, what are the extra notifications being identified as in the library and are they correct?

Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
The only two boxes checked are people and animals. The library though shows motion, people and vehicles.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try changing the settings and then revert to what you want. You can also try disabling Smart on a camera and then reenable it. Last, try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync.

Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
I thought to try that, but hadnt. That said, disabling smart and reenabling did mot solve the problem.
PhylumT
Apprentice
Apprentice
Like you I have things turned off, such as Pets as my two dogs and neighbors dogs are constantly setting off cameras. They still set them off. I’ve also used zones to ignore areas, they also still record. Yes, they are listed as “pets” when recorded. I also noticed that it will capture a pet in the driveway but note it as “vehicle” because though the dog set it off it identifies my parked car.
Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
Seems like its an issue, maybe we can get someone to weight in with other suggestions. Getting 200+ notifications is fun and all, but it makes me consider just turning off the system
Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
Seems like this thread has died and I’m still left without a solution.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

All I see is a static image. It's not enough info to comment on what's happening. Can you post a video of the problematic behavior in action?

JohnnyQT
Initiate
Initiate

I am also having issues with ignored activity zones. My specific case involves a camera pointed down my long driveway with a flag in view mounted on the garage. The camera is mounted at the corner of the garage looking straight down the driveway with the flag in view for almost a 1/8th of the screen. I've set up activty zones to pretty much just capture my driveway ignorning the flag. I've even made the activity zone smaller to ensure that the flag when waving in the wind doesn't hit it, but I still get hundreds of notifications all day. I just turned off notifications on that camera. I've tried resetting, remove battery, disconnect camera, etc. Pretty much everything. I don't think activity zones work. Keep in mind though that these cameras are being powered off of batteries since other accessories havent been released yet. Besides this minor issue all of my cameras have been working great...

PhylumT
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am not sure what you’re asking to see in video or screenshot, the description of activity and what the user has done and expects are both listed. The issue he is experiencing is what many of us have... activity zones do not work, turning off Pet or Movement does not work.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"A picture is worth 1000 words."

What you describe may be different from what we think you're saying. A video, with description, can make solutions occur faster, just as a quick phone call can beat 30 minutes of texting.

PhylumT
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thread is not allowing me to attach screenshots.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@PhylumT wrote:
Thread is not allowing me to attach screenshots.

I prefer to use the Choose File button below the text box since those images don't need to be approved as when you use the Photos icon above the text box.

PhylumT
Apprentice
Apprentice
Using the “choose file” it’s the only visible way to add an image using my iPhone.
Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
Seems that Arlo identified issues, pulling the Ultra product all together until they can find a firmware/ software that works. App update use came through, maybe a firmware is on the way.?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Various updates for Ultra have already been released? What problem are you having?

ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
My activity zones are not functional at all. They're completely disregarded on each camera that I have attempted to use them on. It's frustrating. 1 camera in particular really needs them to avoid recording many unwanted events (700+ per day).
I'm just waiting & hoping it gets fixed sooner than later. For now, I have to disable that camera & enable it to check it manually before disabling it again.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Plugged in or Smart zones? I have Smart zones set up and they're working fine.

ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
They're called activity zones, in the Android app. The cameras are not plugged in.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Because the camera is not plugged in, you can only use Smart zones (they're still activity zones but handled by the servers, not the camera). Have you subscribed to Smart? If so, is/are the camera(s) activated in Smart?

Without being powered or subscribing to Smart, zones are inactive.