Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Tazyman
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have having the same issue with the same system. 1 update and your investment is gone. Thanks Arlo. Great work.
steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

To Aspirant

you have the same problem as thousands of the rest of us to. Nothing you can do about it. Hopefully a Arlo will fix this with a new update shortly. In the meantime look for messages in this string regarding contacting JamesC with a private message asking him to send you a promo code for a free 30 day subscription to get you back up and running.

Arlo_victim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like many others who have raised the issue, my arlos are not recording locally, I get alerts on my mobile. This is after the 4.0.2.1_28506 upgrade.

I will be traveling abroad and need these alerts.

Any update on when this issue will be fixed. If not I am going to return these back to costco

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you sincerely, but Im thinking JamesC is a bot lol.   His bot box must be full of messages! Tap on his name dont seem to work either?  He/it can read the posts and contact me. Or I will talk to his supervisor JamesB !  
Seriously thank you for the reply. I do appreciate it. 

Mike2842
Initiate
Initiate

Glad (I guess) that I'm not the only one this is happening to.  My last saved video files were from December 13.  Any chance it's the same for you?  BTW, the hub is in  armed mode, so that's not the problem.

Thiggon
Aspirant
Aspirant

It just stopped. 
tried all the usual, reset base station, power cycle, checked settings. I could still access older recordings on the SD, but have since reformatted to see if that would get recording happening again, it didn’t work. 
Cameras still functioning and accessible, just not saving any events locally. 
Any other ideas?

Goliath99999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Pro 3 cameras and they have stopped recording to the local base station VMB4540 a few days ago. It seems there was a firmware update on Dec 13 and this is the time it stopped recording.  I also noticed the manual record button is gone as well.  Anyone else having this issue?  Aid there a fix for this?

Hakob
Guide
Guide

I have same issue. I feel like it happened after last Arlo update

Moss74
Initiate
Initiate

I have the following setup/units:

Base station 

• VMB4540

10 cameras

• 3 x Arlo Pro 4 2K
  • 1 x Essential 
  • 2 x pro 3
  • 4 x pro
  • Doorbell 
  • Arlo Chime

Everything has been working perfectly for almost 3 years. We recently invested in the 3 x Pro 4 (that come with the iCloud Secure Trial). I am aware that when ‘library’ is selected, you have the option to select between the base station and the ‘cloud’.

The recordings are available in the ‘cloud’ for the 3 x Pro 4 (and for some reason the 4 x Pro Camera’s) but not the 2 x Pro 3 or the Essential Camera. This is all good and fine, but the issue is the Base Station Recording. Although we get the notification that a recording has taken place, the recording will not save to the base station anymore.                  

I have verified that port forwarding is enabled and still working (see attached screen shot).

I have tried:

• Rebooting the base station 5x
  • Re-inserting the camera batteries
  • Unplugging the base station power and plugging back in after 10min – 30min.Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 1.25.17 pm.png

tjmaus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also experiencing this issue. We are about to go away for Xmas. Shoudl we be given subscriptions until this is fixed?

rmclain
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no 'send this user a private message ' button. I am experiencing the same issue and would like the free 1 month promo to get by while waiting on the fix.

Ilgu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had same issue 

JAMBRO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also experiencing the same problem. 

MN-Cherry
Tutor
Tutor

I've just spoken with support team here in Sydney, Australia. Apparently the problem will be fixed by Monday 19 December, if you can trust Arlo. promises! 

AsCa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC, 

I have the same issue, but I cannot find the way to send you a private message even follow your instruction. Please send me a message if possible, thanks!

Best regards

Asca

notascot
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have precisely the same issue. I have checked out all the settings, and all are correct. I have tried another card, also. I cannot find anything wrong, but the base station card will not record. So, I get the notification. I can watch live video from my cameras on my three Macs, iPhone, iPod and Apple Watch. So the burning question is, why is the base station not recording when all appears okay? Someone must have a solution to this, PLEASE...

The devices are telling me that the Arlo firmware is up to date. As stated above, I run Apple products, and all have the latest updates on each device. 

Pythony
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any technical support could answer that why my Arlo Essential and VMB4540 did not record since 13th Dec 2022?
Any problem in hardware or software?
I have this system running for 10 months only.  Any official announcement for this issue?  Any solution?
Thanks.

Dash_20
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC im interested for the free  1-month promo code for arlo secure. If you can please send me the promo code. I see no private message button. Thank you.

lirm0312
Initiate
Initiate

i have exactly the same issues, i can find a way to send you a security message.

Dash_20
Aspirant
Aspirant

@KartDude  how did you contact JamesC? I see no private message button. Wanna avail the promo code while waiting for the fix they are working on. Thank you.

anagy
Tutor
Tutor

use the search box at the top of the page; type in JamesC and select users from the drop down.

a button should appear. 

b125
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo will not support their product during this admitted firmware problem they created.  WE ALL NEED TO REQUEST  A TEMPORARY SUBSCRIPTION UNTIL ARLO RESOLVES LOCAL RECORDING PROBLEM! 

See their admission & lack of support in my chat below:

AGENT (Arlo Support): I regret to inform you that we got the update stating that
Some systems are experiencing the same issue regarding local recordings are not
available. It has been escalated to our internal team and currently, and they
are working on it. Once the issue gets fixed. I would let you know via email
also I have created the case for you. Kindly take note of case number xxxxxxxx
for your reference.
USER: For security, how can I record camera videos now?
AGENT (Arlo Support): I understand your concern, I would recommend you purchase
an Arlo subscription plan for $9.99 to add all three cameras to the plan and
start recording to the cloud.
USER: I chose local recording to avoid the subscription. Can provide free
recording storage until your software is fixed?
AGENT (Arlo Support): I am sorry, but unfortunately, we do not have the option
to provide free recording storage. Let me check with our internal team regarding
this issue and try to get back to you with the possible steps.
Ricktrel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James C,  i have the same problem re local storage since 14/12/22.  Your offer of 1 month cloud storage is it available for everyone suffering this problem?

jasdip
Guide
Guide

Anyone else have their base station knocked offline overnight?  Was hopeful this was somehow related to Arlo trying to restore local storage functionality...  Both my base station and all my cameras are currently reported offline in the Arlo app.  Connectivity for other devices is fine.  Tried power cycling the base station to no avail.  Will only factory reset as a last resort, considering the issues Arlo themselves seem to be forcing upon those of us without subscriptions.

EDIT: base station back online after ~15 minutes and no changes on my end.  Local recording still borked.

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

@jasdip 

My base station is online, although I notice that it frequently goes offline for about a few minutes recently.