Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
davidorich
Guide
Guide

After Arlo's most recent software update (Version 4.0.2 (5309) of December 6, 2022) I can no longer access the videos in my VMB5000 SmartHub Library (via the internet using any browser from any Windows laptop, nor with my iPhone 11 using iOS version 16.1.1).

I can see an option for the Library - but there are no videos visible in the Library itself (even after I armed the three Pro 3 cameras I have set up, set off the alarms to record video, saw the red lights on the cameras switch on, and also received text alerts). 

Prior to the Arlo software update of 12/6/2022 I could access my SmartHub Library using the same laptop, same iPhone, and same iOS - both locally and remotely (I had enabled port forwarding which worked per specification). The only way I can access my Library now is if I remove the thumb drive and plug it into my laptop.

To try and remedy the situation I have tried the following:

• I have logged out, deleted the app, and re-downloaded the app
  • Removed all cameras and the SmartHub, and reinstalled everything
  • Triple checked my router settings / IP address and ports per the app and confirmed that the Port Forwarding Status in the app is "Ready" 

I also contacted Arlo Help using chat, who said it was a known issue and they referred it to another department stating thatdepartment would get back in touch with me but I have not heard anything?? 

What was one a well working product is no longer useful as I cannot retrieve any alarm videos that are recorded. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

YsB
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,  I have the same issue.

Suggest that everyone with this issue should enter the Arlo Secure application "Your Review" section  (in Play Store \ Apple Shop) and write down his opinion and submit.  My guess is as many reviews here will pop up as sooner Arlo support will wake up and attend to this issue.  

adamwear
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are we certain this is intentional?  I got an email on Dec. 9 from Arlo where they indicate they are updating their terms & services, but I didn't see anything specific to this issue.  Still could be related though..

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions.html

davidorich
Guide
Guide

I have exactly the same issue - unfortunately 

davidorich
Guide
Guide

I think as they want to move from selling hardware to monthly subscriptions they won’t rate this as a priority - just saying 

davidorich
Guide
Guide

Please provide regular updates 

joebaumann
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem.  No videos since 12.12.22

What did ARLO do?  

with all the porch pirates this time of year, ARLO needs to fix this ASAP.

Dilligaf72
Tutor
Tutor

It's a feature that was advertised, being capable to record to your own SD card without having a paid subscription. On the whim of an unannounced firmware update this capability has left countless folks security vulnerable without any notification.

Now we are being extorted to pay for a subscription? No thanks, I'll be installing my own POE cameras. I'm sick and tired of being milked dry with subscription fee's, service fee's and convenience fee's (that aren't convenient for anyone but the banks.) 

If this is true, One Giant Middle Finger to you!

thor_ultra2
Guide
Guide

Thank you very much. As I expected, the firmware update screw everyone up. I hope this is just an honest mistake by Arlo's part versus something nefarious such as forcing folks to move to paid subscription model. That would be highly unethical and I would bring it up to the Executive Management team.

thor_ultra2
Guide
Guide

I am in the same boat. I just posted and started a new thread indicating similar problems, only to find this thread later on. I thought I was the only one, but now we suffer in misery together!!

I hope Arlo fixes this soon!

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I completely agree with you 

Cav_B1
Tutor
Tutor

The same exact thing happened to me a couple days ago as well. Haven’t bothered calling Arlo knowing it’s their problem after the latest software update I tried everything reset as new still or no recorded events do USB drive. some cameras that are on a trial do get recordings to the cloud, but not to my floodlight or doorbell cam. I wish Arlo would really get a quality software department and test things before they initiate it to the general public to find all their mistakes poor business practice like I said before if I didn’t have over $1000 invested Arlo would’ve been removed or returned. 

JeffRand
Star
Star

@JamesC , thank you for your response. Why doesn't Arlo have any way other than this forum to contact about issues with new firmware? You guys could have spared yourselves from a lot of hate and negativity if you had responded to this right away. I am now two full days without any recordings and this seriously causes me to rethink recommending Arlo as a security solution.

Cav_B1
Tutor
Tutor

That would bull**bleep** of them to force customers to buy a plan. I hope that is not true.

JaySea
Initiate
Initiate

Yep!! Same boat, I tried EVERYTHING!!! 

• Removed USB
  • Formatted the USB on on a computer and the Arlo hub
  • Changed the USB (thinking it was possibly corrupt)
  • Unplugged the base unit
  • Reset port forwarding
  • Checked that cameras were all set to record
  • Cleared the app off phone and re-downloaded it

Nothing Worked!! Just an FYI: It all went sideways about 7 days later after the app was updated and because I don't subscribe, I have no access to Support. One other glorious change is now the notifications go off every two second if there is motion in front of the cameras. 

Congratulation Arlo, you created a new method of extortion! Unfortunately I don't have any social media accounts to express my frustrations (well now that I think about it.............)  but I would imagine that this will take off because a hornet's nest just got kicked!!

Cav_B1
Tutor
Tutor

That’s crazy, I hope this is stopped. Sounds like Arlo just what’s take more money for a sub quality product. Wish my friends never suggested them. Oh well there goes another thousand dollar loss. Thanks, Arlo.

jasdip
Guide
Guide

Kindly provide daily updates on this thread.

Like others here we purchased our Arlo system specifically for local recording without a subscription, but we're effectively blind to activity in the last day due to this apparent software defect.  Please raise management visibility.  As a security product we rely on, this is a Sev0 / Site Down type of issue for us.

j0hnnyrocket
Initiate
Initiate

Porch pirates are loving Arlo right about now.  Fix this now!!!!

K_noa20
Initiate
Initiate

Glad to have found this thread after noticing the same "no recording" as everyone else. I'm a bit fortunate as I will be returning my setup to Costco for a full refund. I will give it till the end of the year for a firmware update before returning the system. I have been reviewing the eufy camera system, longer storage with "NO MONTHLY FEES", something Arlo promised when I purchased the system. Should have know they were going this route since they removed the option to "record on demand"!

CLOSE TO DONE WITH ARLO!!

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

This heinous act was his opportunity to get acquainted with the eufy camera system, where real 4K video quality and Local Storage up to 16TB, No Monthly Fee
If Arlo does not solve the problem within a week, I will move to the eufy camera system, and I will demand that Amazon refund the money I paid for this greedy system.

Henrysky
Star
Star

@JamesC 

Thanks for your response. I just wonder if there is any quickly temporary solution to bring people out of security risk? Case like this, actually it is an upgrade failure without any intention? From industry perspective and release management's view, not sure is there any backup plan available? 

So far, no one can tell when the new release with bug fixed can be available, why not back to the prior version, push out as a temporary solution?

Dilligaf72
Tutor
Tutor

That’s another issue…..No Firmware rollback feature. Just dumb! 

JeffRand
Star
Star

Or at least have an option to decide when to install firmware updates, so that we can wait until the other guinea pigs decide it is safe to do so. It is so crazy that they roll out firmware without fully testing every feature, particularly a feature that leaves some customers without any recordings at all.