Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
JacekN
Tutor
Tutor

Hallo,
This is probably a stupid question so please don't laugh.
Currently I have Arlo pro 2 six camera set working on the free plan. All cameras are activated and working fine.
I wanted to subscribe to Arlo's $9.99 plan for 5 cameras. (Actually I only need that plan for 4 cameras but since the plan is for 5 then I have no choice.) Now the scary part: I'm afraid that if I buy plan for 5 cameras then my currently active 6th camera will be deactivated.
Does this make sense?
Please advise. Thank you.

37 REPLIES 37
Glennkinger
Tutor
Tutor

Where would the code during set up come from?   I have set it up twice now .  I am on my last email address currently

DOTTAT2
Guide
Guide
I opened a bbb complaint since arlo registered and also an ftc ticket. Next stop is small claims.
DOTTAT2
Guide
Guide
@TomMac we all have our boxes and papers. There was no code when I bought mine a year ago. Nor is there a place where one could enter such a code.

It's worse yet they disabled the camera altogether. Can't even be used to live stream. It's on ARLO to fix this or be held accountable.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As Per;

JessicaP

Arlo Moderator

Hi JacekN,

The 6th camera will be inactive if you do buy the Arlo Smart Premier Plan for up to 5 cameras. You will need to purchase the single camera plan for the sixth camera. After 5 cameras, you'll get 50% off each on additional camera. You can see more about it here: Arlo Smart

================================================================

But, as mentioned, the 6th camera was activated during setup of the system previously, and the legecy systems still allow the Basic level service for free ( non smart ) ....  And believe it should still be if setup.

This new change is not what should be, but I have no control over what Arlo does.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DOTTAT2
Guide
Guide
Understood. Arlo is finding themselves in legal conflict over this now.
DOTTAT2
Guide
Guide
I recommend that everyone on this thread and also who is impacted by arlo disabling our cameras completely submit both an ftc and bbb complaint ticket against arlo for this.

My lawyer will be pulling cases from both sources for the class action lawsuits.

Please share this info on any/all review sites you can so we can get this problem rectified.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@DOTTAT2  What law firm are you using? 

DOTTAT2
Guide
Guide

Hey man I'm sorry I missed your last message. In the meantime the issue was rendered moot.  WE are, in fact, supposed to be excluded from the 5 camera streaming limit.  

The gentlemen from Arlo who handled my BBB case is the one who finally replied to an arlo case for me and asked me to remove the disabled camera and resync... after which it's now working again.  I asked him to come here and clean up the thread users who have also been impacted by this rather uncool system change.  

Again, I repeat,,,,  6 Camera pro 2 systems are to be excluded and should ALL work under the 7 day free streaming plan they came with!

MikeLa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had an Arlo Pro 2 five camera system for a few years without a subscription and it's worked fine for what I need.  I wanted to add a 6th camera which I did only to find the basic plan only allows for up to 5.  I decided to pay the small fee for the single camera plan for the NEWEST (6th) camera, expecting it to activate which it did.  But as soon as I did that, it de-activated one of my original 5 and is now wanting a subscription for that.

I have an open ticket with Arlo Support but the responses have been less than helpful and the last one suggested I pay for the 30-day five-camera subscription PLUS add a single-camera add-on.  I don't need the 30-day coverage for the original five.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi MikeLa,

You mentioned you contacted the support team in regards to your case. Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you.

MikeLa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apparently the case was transferred to someone else last night and the new tech explained it in a way that was at least understandable although completely ludicrous.

Basically, the new tech stated that even though the original 5 cameras didn't require a subscription, by adding the 6th, now all 6 required a subscription.

I'm sorry but that is absolutely ludicrous. Arlo provides activity and storage for 5 cameras for free for 7 days. I want to add a 6th but now, just for that one extra camera, I have to pay for the original 5 that were free for a service I don't want PLUS play for the 6th on a monthly basis. Had I known that before hand, I never would have bought the 6th.

While I realize I'm just a single voice, I'm still going to be giving a very poor review of Arlo's practices as a long time user on the social media platforms.    Most likely, you've just lost a customer and advocate of Arlo.

It's about time Arlo change it's policy on this and only require a subscription for any camera over 5.

WeDeserveBetter
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have a similar problem ... purchased the 5 camera package ... but were told that we could add a 6th camera at any time with the caveat that we would only be able to stream/use 5 cameras at a time on the included streaming account.  This worked for us because we only needed our "extra" camera for monitoring our young dog indoors when we left the house.  We could just turn off one of the 5 outdoor cameras via the app and turn on the extra camera.  We bought the 6th camera for this purpose and it worked as advertised for the first year; suddenly in 2020 the extra camera could no longer be turned on after turning off one of the original 5 cameras.  TOTAL BAIT AND SWITCH by Arlo.  Arlo should restore the functionality that was advertised and that so many of us purchased.  I see others have mentioned pursuing this legally ..... this impacts enough customers to warrant a Class Action lawsuit.

pnjfksx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a six camera Arlo system that is working under a free plan.  I have secured another base station on Ebay and added it to my Arlo setup.  When I try to add a camera to that base station, it will not activate. saying I need a subscription.

Given what has been going on in this thread, I am hesitant to get a subscription for fear of losing the other six.  I would think the new station would have a number of cameras that could be added to it for free based on how it was set up to start with.  Is there any way to tell?

How about setting up the new base station as a totally separate account?  I would lose integration, but at least I would not run the risk of losing what I already have.