Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Carl-reuter
Tutor
Tutor
Why was I upgraded to Arlo Smart eith the May 21, 2019 upgrade? I have not asked for it and I am pretty sure that Arlo will either let me pay for it or hinder me from getting back to the free subscription. Anyone?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

A fix was deployed that should resolve this issue. Please let us know if you're still experiencing this behavior.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Carl-reuter

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

BenMere
Guide
Guide

Yes. I saw that also this morning that in the app. I check on my.arlo.com and it says I’m on the free plan but in the app in has me on smart subscription. 

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  I found out after having a problem viewing the recorded video.  It kept say something like “operation not complete”.  When I looked around I saw an orange dot next to setting button.  Clicked on it ant it showed subscribed to Smart Arlo.  When I clicked on “basic” the app shut down.   I know they have been pushing for Arlo Smart but they can’t change my settings like that.

@Carl-reuter wrote:
Why was I upgraded to Arlo Smart eith the May 21, 2019 upgrade? I have not asked for it and I am pretty sure that Arlo will either let me pay for it or hinder me from getting back to the free subscription. Anyone?

Carl-reuter
Tutor
Tutor
Well, the first thing stated on the support page is to check the community - so......

Also, why can’t you contact by mail?
shkang81
Tutor
Tutor
Exactly the same issue. I’ve had 5 cameras with free plan for many years, and just noticed that now it’s changed to “smart” plan without my consent. I don’t have any credit card info on my account, so not sure how they will charge me if they do. However, I saw this chart: https://kb.arlo.com/000062163/Where-is-the-Basic-Subscription-plan

According to this chart, Smart plan is per camera basis, so if you don’t add any cameras to the Smart plan, you shouldn’t get charged—basically the old free plan. But this is a very sneaky way of getting someone on the plan.
Carl-reuter
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. Very sneaky indeed. Arlo is not the same company anymore....

Tried to send my comments to them through technical support (mail): Entered all they info, hit send and was shown a popup stating: "The was a technical error when submitting you request. Please contact technical support".....It is just laughable!

@shkang81 wrote:
Exactly the same issue. I’ve had 5 cameras with free plan for many years, and just noticed that now it’s changed to “smart” plan without my consent. I don’t have any credit card info on my account, so not sure how they will charge me if they do. However, I saw this chart: https://kb.arlo.com/000062163/Where-is-the-Basic-Subscription-plan

According to this chart, Smart plan is per camera basis, so if you don’t add any cameras to the Smart plan, you shouldn’t get charged—basically the old free plan. But this is a very sneaky way of getting someone on the plan.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you see the same subscription status using the web client and the mobile app?

BenMere
Guide
Guide
Web says basic plan but the app has smart plan features to enable like if I had paid for it.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I have a few initial questions regarding the reports on this issue.

1.Do you see the same subscription status using the web client and the mobile app?

2. Is this issue occurring on Android or IOS?

shkang81
Tutor
Tutor
1.Do you see the same subscription status using the web client and the mobile app?

—> No. Web client shows ‘no smart plan added’ whereas the mobile app says ‘current subscriptions and plan: Arlo Smart’

—> I’m using IOS
BenMere
Guide
Guide

It’s different, web client shows basic. iOS app shows smart plan features and settings. It has the e911 and phone a friend features. It has the little orange dot and the menu icon. 

@ShayneS wrote:

Hello Everyone,

@ShayneS wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Carl-reuter
Tutor
Tutor
It is IOS (Iphone). Web shows Basic but app shows Smart
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Haven’t had a chance to look on my laptop yet but my Mobil app(iOS) show Arlo Smart

officialuseonly
Guide
Guide
I recently logged into my Arlo app and found multiple new options....and then figured out that somehow my account was now on a Arlo Smart subscription without my knowledge.

Anyone else have this mysterious issue pop up?

Mods - how can I unsubscribe from this. I don’t need your paid service.
Australien
Luminary
Luminary
Hi dear community, it was a while ago all the problems stopped keeping the basic plan and suddenly everything is bad again! Since 2 days the app shows that I have Arlo smart but functions don’t work, parcel detection when ticked kicks me out of the app, geofencing shows all correctly when I’m in and out but doesn’t work properly so I record myself even if it says I’m home coming into the house. I’m so disappointed and it’s a joke spending so much money in this bad product. I have 5 cams, 1 door bell, 1 chime, 1 light. I have done everything what the support ask me to do and it’s not fixed. I deinstalled and installed new, I logged in in different devices and and and. I’m honestly sick of playing the dummy and testing your half ready products out and spending for this lots of money too. If the products are not fully tested or you update a software you should be really sure that this is ready for your customers. I really want a solution because the safety of my home is unfortunately depending on your slow and faulty service.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Same for the smart plan as you.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

What cameras do you have?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
officialuseonly
Guide
Guide
Arlo Pro - they were purchased 8 months ago and replaced my 1st Gen Arlo Cams. I never signed up for any subscription at anytime I have owned them. It also appears a hot fix was pushed out for the iOS app which removed a couple features that I had initially seen. See attached picture. They were also included... but after the hot fix, now have disappeared.
officialuseonly
Guide
Guide

I should have read the other part of the forum before I posted my own issue regarding this same problem.

Same as below - online it shows NO subscription, but under my App (iOS), it shows im under the Arlo Smart subscription.  I did see the E911 and other features last night, but saw there was a hotfix update for the application and those extra features dissapeared, but it still shows me having an Arlo Smart subscription.

Someone forgot to tie some code together on the backend? Man Happy  I don't mind free stuff...... just don't want a fat bill dropped on me down the road.

d23wilson
Star
Star

Service outages from upgrades...videos not recording, notifications not working. Multiple days in last 2 weeks, coinciding with all their base stations role outs.

geo-fencing not working since last upgrade.

Cannot get home kit working

Arlo Q recordings cannot be played

I personally cancelled my smart subscription...guess what shows up 1 day later in my phone app? that i have a smart subscription, but when i log in via web browser...i have no smart plan.

this is all of the last 2 weeks. this is the end Arlo...poting this so others can identify a long list of big failures.

not to mention failed homkit support

BIG BIG problem,,,actually maybe the biggest of all. ARLO regresses our property (think property rights) by forcing upgrades on to us. For me a stable system setup, becomes non-functional. almost as worthless as a pretend camera system.

And an anecdote..when i was on holiday one year, Arlo forced an upgrade onto my original wirless system, which duly ran the batteries out. They were happily at 40% and would have stayed there for the remaining week i was away. 2 days in, and the arlo upgrade rendered them battery dead! i.e. no security.

These are our property Arlo! you SHUOLD have no right to touch our systems without our consent!!!!!

Australien
Luminary
Luminary
It seems you fixed the problem with the “smart showing on base plan” issue and geofencing. I have to say I’m very disappointed with your assistance, shocked about that I always have to find out about the problems myself and your assistance is totally useless. The only thing you have done for me is notIfying problems but not solving. Why do some Moderators in the forum from Arlo know about that there was a system error about the “smart issue” and a cloud problem which caused the faulty geofencing but if I ask in the chat or message you, no one knows from anything. You never figure those things out and inform me, instead you want to waste more of my time and contact me via phone even if all is said. Dear Arlo, to keep me and other users as customers you have to put a bit more effort in solving problems, keeping in mind the time and inform your customers better.
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bought Arlo Pro 2 a month ago going good . I have a few question on app under plan says I have Arlo Smart , but didn’t sign up and not paying additional cost for plan. Does Arlo Smart come with Pro2 Camera free? On screen showsSmart Plan and icons for people ,activity Zones,e911. I want Activity Zone on Cameras . Cameras must be connected to ac power for Activity Zones to work ? Or does Activity Zones work without power connected with Pro 2?
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bought Arlo Pro 2 cameras. Question is regarding plan. Using app I see that plan says smart plan . Is this the same as basic plan and Smart premier being the upgrade? I have NOT changed or order different than what show up after syncing and installing cameras. Just confused on plans. My base station says model VMB 3500 ( round Base Station).