Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to deliver a solution for the iOS notification default tone change. Three notification Tone options are now available within the iOS Arlo app. Vibrant and Marimba are the new alternative tones available for users who do not prefer the default iOS Tone.

After updating your Arlo app to the latest version available from the app store, you can find these new options under Settings > Notifications > Notification Tone.

If you do not see an available update, you can manually install the update by opening the App Store > Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen > Scroll to see pending updates. Tap Update next to the Arlo Secure app to initiate the update.

You can find detailed instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Hansheiri
Initiate
Initiate

Genau meine Rede. Dass ich in der Nacht keinen anständigen Alarmton habe ist für mich absolut unverständlich. Ihr behauptet das Beste auf dem Markt zu sein, aber dieses kleine Versäumnis macht euer ganzes System zu einer absoluten Farce. Nein, so kann ich euer Produkt auf keinen Fall weiterempfehlen. 

pleaselisten
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using Arlo for around 8 years. I am looking to upgrade equipment but since updating to IOS17 I never hear my notifications. Makes this system useless. This is a huge problem for me and if it's not resolved in the next couple days I will be leaving the Arlo platform.......what a shame that something so simple doesn't work. You guys need to get it together. 

Bill812
Tutor
Tutor

I totally agree.  Arlo apparently fixed an option in 2017/2019 (can’t remember which) for Android systems.  In the thread it mentioned an iOS update was “coming soon” to allow iPhones to customize the notification sound.

As my wife just said, we didn’t by the Arlo system to only be a “good witness,” but rather an actual alert system.

We are looking into other camera monitoring systems.

JSimm
Initiate
Initiate

We are really struggling to hear the notifications from our cameras. We hope Arlo/Apple can get this fixed quickly. This is a safety issue which is why we have invested in the Arlo Camera system to begin with. 

TLCS
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same problem. We are not being notified after the upgrade. I can figure out how to change it. 

Planty
Initiate
Initiate

Completely agree. These cameras have saved an attempted break in once but are completely useless now as there’s no way the new sound will wake me up. I’m contemplating sending the 3 new pro 3 cameras back and going with something else. 

Mugsmt
Star
Star

Has there been any response from arlo

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

No, they haven't. I have made a seperate complaint/request as well to tell them what's wrong with their app and what they need to change. The person I spoke to first wanted me to contact apple. 🙂  
I think it would be a good thing if many people would complain so they understand the importancy. I now have asked to change it and to give me a follow up when they will. I got a case number. 

Hegoat
Initiate
Initiate

After installing IOS 17.0.1, push notifications do not make a sound.  It’s not working on all the cameras and spotlights.  The audio alert is an important function notifying the user someone is on the property.

BobKinNJ
Initiate
Initiate

Why did upgrading to IOS 17 change the push notification alert sound? It can barely be heard now. It's just one step above a "click".

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

As everyone else has stated, I am so aggravated with Apple and Arlo. With all this technology nowadays I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to allow users to choose their own sound notifications. 
With iOS 17 the alert is as loud as a mouse fart. Thank goodness I have 2 Great Danes for backup security! I’ve been with Arlo for 9 yrs as well but if this isn’t fixed quickly there is no reason in paying for a soundless security system. 

MasterMG
Guide
Guide

It's shameful how Arlo treats its customers, and for years we've been asking for the sound to be changed in notifications and they don't do anything, now that with IOS 17 we can no longer hear anything our camera systems are unusable. thank you arlo your customer service is truly the worst there could be

sbartzen
Initiate
Initiate

Another here in agreement. The new notification sound is useless. 

Bentail
Initiate
Initiate

Time to make a change to Ring.   I was getting ready to update to new Arlo, but I cannot afford to wait to see if Arlo responds to this new problem.   It looks like they would want people to know that they are working on the issue. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the feedback regarding this new iOS 17 Alert tone. I have provided all of your feedback to the appropriate team regarding this new tone affecting the push notification sound. I will continue to monitor and update this thread with any new information received. 

Exceltic
Guide
Guide

For more than 7 years, Arlo has not been able to provide IOS users with the possibility to set up a more differentiated sound in the app than the normal IOS notification. This state is unacceptable for a security app like Arlo is.
You don't notice a "bling" that is not perceptible at night or even during the day in a louder environment, and then you can only look back to see how perhaps unwanted people are sneaking around on your property and committing a burglary. Is that what the inventor had in mind?
Why is one simply always fobbed off with the terse answer from you, the selection of another sound under IOS is not possible???!
I have attached the possibility to include a "critical note" in the app. This instruction should be known to your development team.
I can not understand their attitude for IOS users to change this, with the best will in the world.
With these instructions it should be possible to add a "critical hint" perhaps schedule-bound as a selection. So you would get a clear hint even when the iPhone is muted.
Please forward to your developer team!
Maybe this will finally work!
Greetings

IMG_0830.png

IMG_0832.png

MSNBC
Initiate
Initiate

I got Arlo only a couple of weeks ago, and I will be returning them. It's useless without a proper notification sound at night. Very disappointing. 

Hudson11
Tutor
Tutor

How do we change the notification sound for alerts with IOS 17? The new notification sound is so quiet and I cannot hear it. 

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

I’m in total agreement with this post!  I’ve been a long time user. However,  if this isn’t resolved, im out!  

ewrice
Initiate
Initiate

We have been using Arlo security cameras (wireless) for many years and have recommended the Arlo brand to others.  However, with the current alert notification issue (barely audible REBOUND ringtone default, due to the recent Iphone IOS 17 update), Arlo is a TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE security system.  

We also have Eufy security cameras.  The Eufy app includes the option to change the APP ALERT TONE and does not rely on Apple's default ringtone for 3rd party apps.

The same with our Reolink security cameras.  The Reolink app includes a preset, unique notification sound (very audible) and does not rely on Apple's default ringtone for 3rd party apps.

Another 3rd party app (we use) with its own preset, unique notification sound is MyQ (remote garage door opener).

It is reasonable for Arlo users to expect an immediate system update from Arlo that addresses/corrects this issue.  If other applications can do it, why can't Arlo???

SPP
Tutor
Tutor

If Arlo doesn’t fix this soon, I will have to find another product. ios17 has rendered the Arlo Doorbell useless for us in terms of notifications.

pallepaf
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem, this must be resolved immediately. It was bad enough when it was the same sound as with messages but now you can barely hear it.

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

I am curious as to which iPhone you guys have? I reached out to be Apple and Arlo yesterday. Apple wrote this;

Jennebel75_0-1696170699163.jpegJennebel75_1-1696170736796.jpeg

Arlo responded with this;

BOT: Please clarify/restate the question that I was not able to address, so the Arlo expert can review.

USER: I need help changing the alert tone for my cameras!

AGENT (Arlo Support): Hi! Thank you for choosing Arlo, Jennifer! My name is Vijeeth. How are you doing today?

USER: Good but aggravated

AGENT (Arlo Support): May I know whether you're talking about the notification sound or the alarm sound?

USER: Notification on my phone

AGENT (Arlo Support): It is your phone setting, you have to check with your phone provider.

USER: I just chatted with Apple support. This is what they wrote
USER: How can I post pics?

AGENT (Arlo Support): Jennifer, the notification sound depends upon your phone. So we cannot change.
AGENT (Arlo Support): You have to contact iOS customer care.

USER: There is no option to change the tone. They said the option to the tone is up to your app developer. And perhaps your app is not compatible with the new iOS update

AGENT (Arlo Support): I can understand your concern, For some phone there will be an option to change the tone for each app and for some phone there won't be an option.

USER: There’s never been an option to change the tone. And being on your community chat there are scores of others with the same problem

AGENT (Arlo Support): So it is depend upon the phone, Jennifer
AGENT (Arlo Support): I will take this as feedback and forward to our respective team for a review.
AGENT (Arlo Support): Hi Jennifer, are we still connected? I am still here to give you assistance regarding your concern. Hopefully, you can still respond to this conversation.

USER: And in the meantime? 2 weeks ago we had a mentally ill person trying to get in our back door. Before that we had a guy walking into our garage. This needs to be corrected asap! Otherwise I’m trashing Arlo and changing security systems. I can’t be left feeling like a sitting duck

AGENT (Arlo Support): Okay, Jennifer
AGENT (Arlo Support): I apologize for the inconvenience.
AGENT (Arlo Support): would you like our assistance/help with anything else?

USER: Inconvenience? My family’s safety and security is at risk. I’m appalled

AGENT (Arlo Support): Jennifer, changing the tune for the app is an inbuilt feature of your phone. I will take this as feedback
AGENT (Arlo Support): If you have any additional questions, you can contact us via chat.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Iphone 11 pro max