Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ios17 notification sound has changed

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Peg1
Initiate
Initiate

New tones don't solve the problem.

As of Dec. 3, 2023, the two new tone alternatives to iOS tone are still too short in duration and not loud enough.  Also, my phone will deliver the new dim Vibrant tone alternative, but husband's phone still produces the dim iOS tone.  I can't find an option on his phone to adjust his notification tone.  Please fit it again.

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

Arlo really don’t seem to be interested in fixing this issue. I’ll be moving to something different after the first of the year. 

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

I hope you can read all the responses to this so-called solution. I feel sure people will be looking for other ways to protect themselves and their families. 

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

I hope you can read all the responses to this so called solution. I feel sure people will be looking for other ways to protect themselves and their families. 

Wcassidy
Tutor
Tutor

I really don’t understand Arlo’s lack of concern for this major issue. Besides losing a ton of customers, they are setting themselves up for a huge liability and potential mass lawsuit. They market themselves as a security camera but if we can’t hear the notifications because Arlo failed to act and give us an option to choose a realistic alert tone, then there is NO SECURITY. if they figured out how to add 2 useless additional tones, why have you not added a longer and louder tone. The company is obviously not listening to its customers valid concerns. I will now have to go to the extra expense of getting a different security system. I think the whole thing is shameful and says a lot about this company. 

Mickbrenrenn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Email notifications was all I ever used.  Worked awesome.  No longer an option for security reasons according to Arlo.   
But Arlo uses 2 Factor ID (mobile phone) as an acceptable security measure.

Why can’t Arlo use the same number they accept as 2 Factor ID and give us that option to send text messages to our phones as a notification?  

Brauch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Could we please get an option for "Vibrate" in a future update for iOS.  I still want to be notified, but without an audible response. Thank you!

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Updated to 17.2 today. I changed the IOS default tone (under sounds) to my loud custom-made alert. Went into the Arlo app and changed to IOS default and now have my custom alert back tested and working.....

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

I don’t see any option for default tone under sounds. What exactly do you do?

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice

1000001690.jpg

• Here is a pic. Under sounds and haptics, 17.2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jennebel75 wrote:

I don’t see any option for default tone under sounds. What exactly do you do?

Are you running iOS 17.????

ArloBob1
Guide
Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

michey31
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, so we only have two notification sounds that are worthless, they are so fast and quiet that I don't even know that there is a notification.  I loved the notifications that you could use on the android at least it was loud enough that I could check the cameras immediately.

Please add more sounds that are longer in length so we can distinguish that it is the sound for the camera

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Isn’t it enough to always use the vibrate mode of the iPhone? 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

_Rocky_
Star
Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

Hoppy2366
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used to be able to have a louder notification sound. I dislike any of the options they gave you now because none of them are loud enough to wake me up. Please fix this issue. Arlo allows to use phone sounds

_Rocky_
Star
Star

Hi yes you can, click settings, sounds & haptics then click on default alerts then chose your desired sound.

You will to have the latest Apple IOS update plus you will also need to have an iphone 9 or later.