Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ios17 notification sound has changed

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
tk737
Initiate
Initiate

I have searched the community on this website and have found NOTHING that works in terms of changing the Arlo motion notification sound on my iPhone.  The option is simply not there.  I have a 6-month old iPhone 14Pro and iOS is up to date.  My dogs go nuts every time they hear this noise as the associate it with motion caused by: the mailman, UPS, neighbors, and even the neighbor's cat at 2am.  

If this doesn't get fixed, I'm going to have to find a new system.  Seems a small detail to lose customers over.

_Rocky_
Star
Star

This is an in Arlo App issue, so ‘Please’ everyone you will all need to urgently contact Arlo CS department directly to log this issue.

Arlo have continually sat on their hands with their head in the sand mysteriously hoping the issue will merely disappear. 

Bill812
Tutor
Tutor

Well, it’s been awhile since Arlo acknowledged the issue, but have failed to fix the problem or provide an update on their progress.  

I would suggest, instead of continuing to post complaints on how horrible Arlo’s support service is (and it is horrible), to cancel subscriptions and change to other providers.

The two options I’m looking into are Simply Safe and Ring.

Good luck to everyone!

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I don't know about others but I've invested quite some money in the system of verisure that only works with arlo cameras. And I don't just have another 1000 euros lying around waiting to be spend on another security system. I don't feel like throwing 1000 euros down the drain. I feel they owe it to me as a customer to give me a good trustworthy system that will warn me when people are trespassing 

_Rocky_
Star
Star

I absolutely couldn’t agree with you more as i’ve also spend quite a large amount of money on an entire arlo system. I reside in New Zealand where goods and services are fairly expensive to say the very least.

MichaelR1986
Initiate
Initiate

They won’t fix it. This has been an ongoing issue for years. The people have been asking for Arlo programmers to give us access to change the notification sounds to anything other than the generic sound. Ring users have an annoying barking dog sound….we need something similar. We’ve been asking for years! How am I going to distinguish a good from bad notification in the middle of the night. Now, the problem is even worse. Please, @Arlo 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Are your arlo cameras connected to the verisure alarm system as well? If so I'm interested in what kind of echo you use. 

Exceltic
Guide
Guide

@Brendafromsp I do not use a verisure alarm system, but I own an echo show and an echo studio. Together with alexa app and the Arlo skill, you can configure which camera will send notification to which echo. The only thing is, every movement will send a notification. The Arlo skill is ignoring my sensitivity settings of the cameras. As a workaround and to get noticed at night it helps

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Thank you for your answer. If anyone here has verisure and an echo please test this workaround and let us know if this works in combination with verisure. Buying one echo would be so much cheaper than a complete new alarm system. 

Roswita
Aspirant
Aspirant
    Spoiler
    How to change camera notification tone on iPhone?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Not possible because arlo is a third party app that doesn’t include it’s own notification library of sounds.

Roswita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo notification sound on android phones can be changed. Why not iPhone?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It is Apple policy to not provide the third party apps access to their notifications platform to modify sounds.

Apple’s answer is that the third party app developers must manage their own sound selection platform internally.

The most likely reasons for arlo not facilitating the feature is cost related, likely because of Apple’s costing.

I recently read that iOS 17 has now altered the default notification sound away from the standard tri-tone which has annoyed some arlo app iPhone users since it is now less audible.

I also recall that some arlo users were resorting to use third party apps like IFTTT to work around the issue.

Roswita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for that explanation. 

arlodangerous
Tutor
Tutor

The IOS17 sound has made Arlo cameras extremely dangerous.  Any suggestions for alternatives?  Ring, Simplisafe, others?   Just upgraded this year with 5 cameras and now have to go to another service for safety reasons.   This should have been an emergency fix and Arlo should have dealt with it in 1-2 days with a notice going out to Iphone users.  

Planty
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo sent me a survey email yesterday so I filled it out and basically ripped them a new one! Not that it will make a blind bit of difference. 

_Rocky_
Star
Star

Couldn’t agree with you more. Try Eufy cameras

_Rocky_
Star
Star

Awesome you let them have it, well done!

arlodangerous
Tutor
Tutor

Emailed CEO and CIO tonight.    Pretty sure I got the right email addresses.  Will see if they reply.   This is a very serious issue and the responses on this thread from Arlo are very patronizing.   Will give it a week for reply and pretty sure I can get emails to the board.    

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I really hope you will reach them. I couldn't agree more with you. They are not valuing a great chunk of their customers at this moment

_Rocky_
Star
Star

Arlo does not value it’s customers fullstop, they havn’t done from the very start. Their customer service department is by a long way the worst i have ever experienced, they simply play the merry go around circus game with you until you just give up as they never ever sort anything out ever for me personally.

If i hav’t of already invested the $2000 i have invested in my extensive Arlo camera system i would have walked away a long time ago and gone with another camera brand that has a firstly reliable stable app unlike arlo’s app plus a customer service department that is helpful and gets things sorted unlike Arlo’s customer service department.

Arlo has been the most dreadful company i have ever had to deal with !!

Bicycle
Star
Star

When I spoke to Apple support they said that iOS 17 update did eliminate some of the sounds that were previously used when apps send notifications.   When I spoke to the ARLO support team they said they were unaware of any issues.  So clearly ARLO support in uninformed and behind in training their team as to this problem.  As a resolution ARLO is requesting that I obtain and e-mail from Apple Support which says to the effect that there are no issues on Apples iOS17 and it is running as it should.   This gamesmanship leaves the customer in a terrible position.  I find it unusually odd that ARLO does not want to be proactive.  They need to update their App to allow sound notification adjustments.    

Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

sounds like Arlo should put you on payroll, if they want you to do their research/ troubleshooting… 

Bicycle
Star
Star
Here is the message I got from APPLE:

Thanks for contacting Apple. After the iOS 17 update there has been  changes regarding notifications from third party apps. It is up to the app developer whether or not to allow for tone customization for their app. I understand how this change can be an inconvenience  and I suggest you leave feed back about the update at apple.com/feed back. I hope this helps.

If you still need help with this case, let us know. Click the link below, and we’ll connect you with the next available expert
_Rocky_
Star
Star

Exactly so the issue is with the Arlo App as they were informed from the customers well over a month ago yet Arlo are too lazy and completely useless to do anything about fixing their app notification sound major issues.

Arlo customer service always try to talk circles with you with you call them with always trying really poorly to blame other things when all the along the issue is absolutely with the Arlo app.

The CEO of Arlo needs to sort his/her company out ASAP !!