Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push To Talk Not Working After Updating to ios 11..3

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Prior to updating our phones to iOS 11.3 all functions including the push to talk feature through the camera’s speaker were working properly. I had updated my phone yesterday but had not tried the Arlo app until today. When my wife got home today we tried the app on her phone and the push to talk feature worked properly. We then updated her phone to 11.3 and tried the app afterwards. All the icons are present and we get the push button icon but it no longer functions to get any sound through the camera speaker. I used the chat function here to notify Netgear and I posted a review on the Apple App Store that the update causes a problem with this function. 

187 REPLIES 187
MossyTown
Tutor
Tutor

It's been about a month since this was first reported.  I guess it's not a priority for Netgear to make sure their equipment works with iOS.  That's too bad, since a lot of people use iPhones.  Maybe Netgear should market themselves as an Android only solution.

davidmeador
Guide
Guide

speakers on the cameras stopped. did the reboot, reloaded the app. if this is an IOS 11.3 issue when will we get a fix?

piratheepan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am thinking of returning my Arlo set and buy another product that actually spends R&D time to fix a critical issue as this in a timely manner.

in the day and age of mobility, this should be treated with high visibility and severity.

TheRealBLC
Aspirant
Aspirant
My order just arrived and I am having the same issue. I did update the firmware
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@TheRealBLC wrote:
My order just arrived and I am having the same issue. I did update the firmware

There is an issue with iOS 11.3. Push to talk worked before 11.3. Apple may have made a change that caused the feature to no longer work properly. This topic has been escalated to Arlo engineering and it is currently being investigated.

Pocian
Initiate
Initiate

I only have 15 days to return to Best Buy.  Count down begins.  Please FIX. 

bp1892
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Engineering....please provide an update on this push to talk fix ASAP

Like others here, I researched Nest, Amazon Cloud Cam, and others but arrived at Arlo for a solid set of reasons

That said—at this pricepoint, this basic feature needs to work and work consistently.  Unfortunately I am out of any return window but have already ordered an Amazon Cloud Cam as I need the 2 way audio feature.  It works flawlessly at about 1/4 the cost.  Insane.

I’m hoping you all can fix before I have to return the Cloud Cam and recoup what I can on the Arlo on eBay—my strong preference is to stick w/Arlo, but you all are giving no incentive or clarity toward a fix

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for the frustration/inconvenience this has caused. The engineering team is working hard toward a resolution for this issue. I do not currently have an ETA for a fix but will provide any new information I receive as soon as possible.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for the frustration/inconvenience this has caused. The engineering team is working hard toward a resolution for this issue. I do not currently have an ETA for a fix but will provide any new information I receive as soon as possible.

JamesC

davidmeador
Guide
Guide
Too bad. Apple gives you enough time so this should not happen. I have a special needs child and need this operational by tomorrow morning.
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have tried every step possible found on this forum to get my 2-way audio to work on my iPhone 7 Plus. With the latest IOS, the latest firmware on every camera and the base station. I am using Google WiFi mesh system with plenty of bandwidth etc... Sorry trying to foresee all questions. I have tried with Win 10 Internet Explorer, Chrome and my phone with and without my Bluetooth headset. I broke down and tried it on my Samsung Android tablet as well. I usually can hear whats going on no problem. When I connect to a cam and click AND hold the microphone button no sound what so ever comes out of any of my cameras. From my LAN or Remote. I will admit I have not armed or disarmed my system to try it that way. I have it set to smart things mode as the system is tied into my smart home. Which was refreshingly easy to integrate and my automation integration is the saving grace of this system. Otherwise, I would have already returned it. 

brh
Master
Master

IOS 11.3 bricked the two way talk with Arlo cameras. Unfortunately this Apple IOS update is buggy as he##. Arlo engineers are working to resolve this issue.

Brian

Lthao0709
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue!!
I have an iPhone X and am so close to just returning Arlo...

adraper12
Star
Star
Wondering if the new IOS update 11.3.1 and scheduled down time on April 27 will fix this issue....James C....hello?
Woodyjet
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve called multiple times in regards to my 2 way communication with cameras not working . I have a iPhone 7 Plus updated to 11.3. Does anyone else have this problem or corrected this problem . It’s very frustrating!!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Yes, there are a bunch of posts on this topic. Netgear/Arlo is aware and the engineers are researching if it's an iOS issue or the Arlo app having an issue. Others report that upgrading to iOS 11.4 beta fixes the problem, which tends to point to an iOS issue.

Woodyjet
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks, I’m not sure how to get the beta update but , I will update when it is out.
Stevenjparis
Aspirant
Aspirant
Its all of them. I’m a little pissed that I paid over $500 specifically for that feature and it doesn’t work and they have no time frame for a fix
Stevenjparis
Aspirant
Aspirant
It sucks. They gave me no time frame for a fix on it either. All models affected
Woodyjet
Aspirant
Aspirant
It sucks because that’s a main feature of these cameras
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

It appears iOS 11.4 is slated to be released in May or June according to several apple/mac websites. You can get the beta 2 now at beta.apple.com.

chrdur2745
Guide
Guide
Can’t blame Apple but my sister has the same phone and iso11.3 and her mic works so it can’t be apple.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Dozens of people have reported on here that as soon as they upgraded to iOS 11.3 the feature stopped working. I have been following this issue for weeks now and it is almost 100% sure that it's an apple issue. If you know someone that has 11.3 and the push to talk is working correctly then they got lucky somehow.

It's also been reported that after upgrading to iOS 11.4 beta 2 that the push to talk started working again with no change at all to the arlo app. That points to iOS as the issue.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

All bugs are somewhat variable but our 2 iPhones and 2 iPads all functioned perfectly with push to talk just prior to 11.3. In my wife’s case we had just used the function on her phone and then immediately after upgraded to 11.3 and right after that completed, tried again and it no longer worked. It was the same on all 4 devices and, obviously, everyone else here but your sister. So I’ll continue to assume it’s an iOS problem. 

My my guess is still that some security/privacy function in 11.3 is preventing the app from accessing the phone’s microphone even when you have all that enabled in settings. If one of the 11.4 betas has restored this function then we’ll  just have to wait. Netgear may not be able to rectify this until then. 

Justinsweeney
Tutor
Tutor
I have multiple apple devices 2 IOS on 11.3 one wirks one doesn’t. Bith worked fine prior to the IOS and netgear updates