Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Gutz
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo Q shows a recording time of more than the time it actually records. One video shows it to be 58 seconds long but it actually stops recording at the 30 second mark (which is where I have it set to end recording). The video stops at the last frame but the marker keeps moving to the right for the remaining time (28 seconds in this case) but shows noting new and the sound stops.

103 REPLIES 103
MarkPaulG
Guide
Guide

I see others are having similar issues.  For a week or more now, my recordings freeze at around the 20sec mark.  Audio quits.  Sometimes my videos show lengths of hours.

My settings are to record 2min videos when motion or sound are detected.

I have the latest firmware.  I reset the camera.  It's 10ft from my router with blazing fast wireless speeds.

Is Netgear ever going to fix this problem?  The camera is basically worthless at this point.  

Marioarlo
Tutor
Tutor
Same for my camera.
For a week or more now, my recordings freeze at around the 20sec mark. Audio quits. Sometimes my videos show lengths of hours..
Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. I have reseted my camera, delete and reinstalled the app and even deleted all my video footage online in case I used up all my data storage. I never had these problem before the updated app. Now I only get 15-20 seconds of recording. After that it freezes and stops at that last image of the recordings while the recording time continues on. 2min recording won't work since it only records 15-20 secs.
Francie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the exact same issues with the Arlo q. I have also tried resetting the camera uninstalling and reinstalling. It is less than 10 ft from router, in the same room. It also has the latest firmware.
YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

Very frustrated Arlo Q user here.

Has anyone figured out how to crop a video with this insane (incorrect) recording time?  I need to send a video to the police but I cannot get it to crop properly.

Thank you.

Uj1980ct
Guide
Guide

To crop extra length : I downloaded to iPhone and used their program to drop off the unwanted part. However, The download clip will still freeze and or lose sound if that was an issue. 

Sburke01
Tutor
Tutor
Yup having same problem here. This is inexcusable 150 dollars and doesn’t even work!
sazizan
Aspirant
Aspirant
This issue is being experi need beyond the Arlo Q. I'm experiencing videos that are several hours long according to my iPhone 8+, but I have all my cameras (Arlo Pro 2) set to record 1 minute when they detect motion. None of the video is lost and I can fast forward along the video but the times are all over the place. I googled the issue which led me to this thread..

Dustydog
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem... cameras set to record at 59 seconds and over half of my recording times are being listed anywhere from minutes to hours longs.  makes it impossible to view the video.  i have been in contact with a netgear support rep who stated that they are hoping to have a firmware update sometime in early april.  not thrilled as i've been losing half of my videos for the last two weeks and am out of my return window with the product.  so...this issue needs to be remedied by netgear.  

stanluca
Tutor
Tutor

Same thing is happening to mine unit.  So annoying.  Arlo has been nothing but issues here and there and it's quite annoying.

NinjaTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

My ArloQ video recordings are freezing. I have exprienced that after 11-16 seconds the video playback freezes but the seconds are still counting to the end. I also experienced my recordings being as long as 3 hours when i set the recording time to 59 seconds. The troubleshooting I have done was delete all my video recordings, changed the recording duration to 90 seconds, reset my router and power cycled the ArloQ. The results is that I am still experiencing the same issues from my iPhone app and on my MacbookPro running on macOS High Sierra using Safari v11.0.3 (13604.5.6).

Sburke01
Tutor
Tutor
Okay so I went to the web portal on my pc to access the videos and they seem okay there do the issue may be entirely smart phone app based.. Even the videos downloaded by phone are damaged. I watched the same video that was damaged on my iPhone on the pc based web portal and it played fine. Of course it’s still major incompetence on net gear that’s this issue is this bad and has been a issue for weeks
Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

The strangely long false playback time seems to have ceased for now, but the other problem I’m having is the camera not filming for ALL of the action; it seems to quit after 20-40 seconds even if movement continues. So, my other issue is it stops filming too soon!
It is set to “film when there is motion” and not aware if there is a better or different setting to remedy the problem. Perhaps that is a question for another thread though? Lol.
I am still *donating* footage from the library to help Arlo/NETGEAR. Cheers!

Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

I gues I jinxed myself! Lol. Cat Embarassed

:09 of footage today came out as (over) FIVE HOURS, even though we watched it two minutes after it was recorded.

Also, it did not continue to film -all- the motion. Also, it seems to have missed some motion, since we can tell something is different that the person would have changed, but that action was not seen/filmed. Robot surprised

Fortunately, it’s not vital, but we are dissappointed. Still, some footage beats nothing and overall we are glad to have a security camera that gives us some insight into where we live because there have been a lot of problems. There will be times when it will be vital! 

Please keep working to fix things Arlo/NETGEAR - We need you!!

lewukoz
Initiate
Initiate

I only bought the cameras yesterday, 3 pro's and 1 pro 2. The pro 2 is the only one showing the recording for hours. Its been too long without a update from netgear/arlo having read this thread back! its just not good enough

say10
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same problem except it only plays back the first 20 or 30 seconds of a 2 minute clip then the image freezes and there’s no sound. It’s on all 5 of my cameras, all the time, and I even paid for the 30 day subscription. This has been going on for a few months and it’s INFURIATING! 

kdallas
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the same issue.  Regardless of what option I select for recording (Record until activity stops or set a fixed length of time) the video will only record for 20-30 seconds then it freezes.  Interesting thing to note, the audio will continue to record for the fulll length of time but the video will not.  I never used to have this issue as it's only started recently.  My Arlo-Q has the most up-to-date firmware (1.8.3.2_17494) and my iPhone 8 has the most recent version of the Arlo app (updated today actually).

Sburke01
Tutor
Tutor
Hey be aware that it’s iphone app that is the issue. If you go to my Arlo in chrome you will find the entire video there. It may still say that the video is 5 hours long but at least the recordings are intact.
Dieseltown
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issues here.
Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
Anyone else seeing this bug? It' shows a lag recording but the actual clips is 15-18 seconds only. I wish I can roll back arlo app before the 16x zoom was implemented.
CNNPress
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today is 4/11/2018. The problem has been there for more than 1 month. Still no solution. Would like to know why.

WMJIII
Star
Star

Not just over a month.. over two months!!!    I opened ticket 28085993 on 2/20/18 under the same issue... and the issue was already over a week old.

That was a waste of a two hour phone call to Netgear Arlo support.

ndec08
Guide
Guide

I've been having this issue since February 22nd (reported it to Netgear on 2/24), so add me to the list of people waiting for months for Netgear to resolve it.  It seems pretty sporadic - sometimes there is no issue with the video at all.  Overall, it's pretty disappointing that I spent over $500 for three cameras that don't work like they should and Netgear has no motivation to fix the issue in a timely manner.

ndec08
Guide
Guide

Also, this issue is affecting both the Android app and internet browsers (Chrome/IE).

CNNPress
Aspirant
Aspirant

Technically, it is more than 1 month, and almost 2 months...