Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Gutz
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo Q shows a recording time of more than the time it actually records. One video shows it to be 58 seconds long but it actually stops recording at the 30 second mark (which is where I have it set to end recording). The video stops at the last frame but the marker keeps moving to the right for the remaining time (28 seconds in this case) but shows noting new and the sound stops.

103 REPLIES 103
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would check to make sure you have the latest versions of FW on the camera and also the apps if using one....this has happened before due the SW issues.

I would also do a reset of the Q

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My Q is back to 2+ hours of indicated recording (set for 2 minutes). The video is actually the proper 2 minutes, the display is wrong. (Semi-) interstingly, the library thumbnails show the proper time - it's the video display that is off. Started yesterday with earlier videos being fine but later ones  (1:05PM was correct, 2:15PM was not).

Gutz
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. This just started happening after the last firmware update. Is there a way to force another firmware update?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine's only been a few days, certainly well after any update. It also turns out that my issue is only with the web browser, not the app.

ndec08
Guide
Guide

I chatted with Netgear support about this issue and they have confirmed there is a problem and their engineering team is working on it.  For me, it is happening with both the web browser and Android app.  It started with one camera on 2/22 and is now affecting my other two cameras starting yesterday.

WMJIII
Star
Star

Same Issue ... and shows on iPhone App also.

I have power cycled the Q and also deleted and readded the Q as requested by support.

No help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

JRT3
Tutor
Tutor
Just wanted to add that I’m experiencing the same thing., running the latest firmware, restarted numerous times, unplugged, etc. but problem persists. It’s now saying that it’s recording over 3hrs but in reality it’s only doing 15 secs. Using the iPhone app.

Hopefully we’ll get a response soon. Thankfully it’s not just me but a more widespread issue. I was about to contact the retailer and either get a refund or an exchange.
ndec08
Guide
Guide

I agree it needs to be resolved soon because if you have longer recordings it makes it impossible to review them or skip ahead due to the timebar being 3+ hours in length (meaning your 1 minute recording is a tiny fraction of the bar length).  However, when playing them back from the browser or app they usually will play back normally at least.  When you download them to your hard drive, it is a different story--the video will play at lightning speed due to the time error, so there is no way to really review a video once you have saved it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It is resolved as far as I can tell, as of about 2PM EST yesterday.

I tried a "long" video just now and it played fine at normal speed on a W10 PC using VLC.

BagelBagel
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all.    Ever since the iphone app update, the video fixed length setting isn't working.   I have my setting set to 0:49.  When I open a video it shows 0:49, but then quickly changes to 4:05:02, and runs for 4 minutes.   Plus, it seems to be looping.   I've removed the device from the app, unplugged then reset the camera using the button, re-synched the camera, and re-installed the iphone app.   The problem is still happening.  

brh
Master
Master

@BagelBagel

It is not you. Several people are having problems with this on the Q cameras lately. Arlo engineering is aware of the problem. 

Brian

WMJIII
Star
Star
It’s back ... as of 2/27 the problem seemed to be resolved but as of 3am 3/2 the same problem came back! A 78 second fixed length recording grows to over 10 minutes when opened to view.
Mearnsman
Aspirant
Aspirant

When the unit detected any movement it used to save a 30 sec clip.

Now it's 3 hours !!!

What's happened?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen this on Q cameras recently but not on the wireless ones. If you play the video, it should only actually be the proper number of seconds long although the display shows a longer time.

HurricaneRax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine is doing the same - it goes up to 23-49 minutes when recording 15 second clips.

Saving to hard drive and trying to view videos is no good due to glitch.

Has there been any fixes reported for this as of 3/2?

Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem today. Action recordings are only approx 30 sec long, but video is showing FIVE HOURS (which is impossible since the recording was watched only moments after it was formed). 

I am new to this system and concerned about being able to download the video for security & review purposes. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What happens when you download the video and review it?

Brett_B
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem, both with the iPhone app and when I login from a Windows computer.

It first showed a longer than actual recording time, then it started playing back at 2x-3x normal speed.

Now I cannot get videos to play at all when logging in using my Windows computer. I get a blank video control box and no videos will play.

I have 4 Arlo Q cameras and it's affecting all of them. They have been installed for a long time and they were issue free before this. I have not made any changes, this issue started up all on it's own. Recorded video is worthless if I can't actually get it to play back.  

WMJIII
Star
Star
If you download a video that grows on time, it is save with the long time and plays back using the long time. As of 4:08ET my seven recordings this am, all played back using the proper time. All recordings yesterday grew in length during playback.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Engineering team is currently working hard toward a resolution for this issue and hopes to have a fix available soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience as we work on a resolution.

JamesC

burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday I got an alert from Arlo Q and it recorded for hours. I 'm using mobile data line that is dedicated to arlo cams and lost 192 MB of my quota after the alert. So I 'd be glad if engineering team can correct the problem soon.

Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have “donated” today’s videos since the problem is still persisting; 10-17 second videos are showing hours of filming time. 

khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Add me to that list.  Same problem here...as of March 11, 2018.  Also today suddenly, the arlo Q has lost the 2 zone settings I had.  When I try and reset the zones, I get error message that it can not be done.  What gives???