Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SirV
Star
Star

The latest app update is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned

Why have you removed the simple indicators of battery level and now you have to click further into the app to find them, who thought that was a good idea.

482 REPLIES 482
Spidey2099
Initiate
Initiate

The new interface that ARLO is using is just like what KUNA and YIHOME uses, top and down scrolling.  It is stupid and not ideal.  

The biggest reason why I LOVED ARLO was because its interface, for the ability to see multiple cameras at the same time and for all the various status info right on the home screen, especially when you are using iPad with a large screen.  the Top/Down scrolling works fine for a phone screen, but not on a tablet.

I really hope that ARLO knows that they are doing something truly stupid here by going back in time in terms of design and usability.

Grover517
Star
Star

The website still has the icons on the main page (at least for me) as well as the newer format on the settings screen.  Was it an oversight or bug in the app update that removed these from the device screen or was it intentional.  Regardless, I have already ditched my Netgear router and repeater this year due to constant and buggy software/firmware that was also said to "improve the user experience" but did just the opposite and now Arlo seems to be heading down that same path.  More clicks and drilling down to get basic status information is NOT an improvement nor does it do anything but worsen the user experience.  There was much more to the older interface than this disaster.  A step back to the previous version would be a HUGE "improvement" over this version.

Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. So much yes! I’ve been saving to add another two cameras to my mix. I won’t if they don’t go back to the old release. The lack of information, the forced scrolling and numerous click thrus!! The last version was perfect. I could see every camera, all the settings, click on LIVE if I wanted too, ALL ON ONE SCREEN ON MY PHONE!!! . This ‘update’ is a failure. James, answer the question please. How do we roll back to the previous version?
Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agreed. Adding steps to look at the camera library is stupid. The previous version was far superior in UI. This version is a complete failure.
Upsman87
Guide
Guide

Upgrade is absolutely a step backwards.... way backwards!  Horrible interface.  I now can’t see all three of my cameras on one screen on my iPad,  battery level and WiFi level (both of which are crucial for me) are no longer visible without clicking through menus.  STill haven’t really figured out how to talk through my Arlo yet...  The live view lagg is unacceptable and is a real game changer for me... I will pursue returning my entire system through Amazon if this is not resolved soon.  While watching live view this morning I heard my garage door open, my house door opened and my daughters boyfriend came in my house.... all before the live view even showed his truck coming down the street!  This renders this system USELESS for me!  Netgear, RESOLVE THIS NOW!  I am utterly disgusted.

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

"ADDING"

I can't wait to trash this inferior Arlo "Security system.

My nieghbor has a wifi security system that works flawlessly with awesome support.

jpcncline
Guide
Guide

Agree, this update is an abysmal failure. Creates a definite confidence issue relative to the competence of Netfear.

Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yup. I agree. The new version is terrible. I also used to be able to see every camera and every icon on one screen. Now the clicking and scrolling is terrible. Arlo, please let us roll back to the last app version that actually was fabulous!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

I noticed my old iPhone 4S didn't get this update so it still has the old layouts.

wakevortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well.......the posts here of REAL customers who have heavily invested in this product (me included- 6 cameras and 2 basestations ) are hardly  glowing congratulations to NETGEAR

The measure of how much they actually CARE about those customers will be very obvious from their reposonse (or not ) to this update debacle

not holding my breath....

Bill P

BenFryer
Star
Star
Netgear keep deleting this post, however it needs to be dealt with correctly.....

Guys, can I suggest that you do two things. Head over to Twitter and publicly announce the failure of this update so others can see the incompetence of The Nethear/Arlo development team, and two, head over to the iOS App Store,
locate the arlo app and leave an honest review so other potential investors can see what it going on here before they waste their money on this so called security system.

Clearly The Netgear/Arlo team aren’t listening to us in here so I think it’s time to take this frustration to a more public arena.

Netgear......shame on you for not carrying out proper user acceptance testing both internally and publicly before releasing your updates. You are so far disconnected from your user community it’s a disgrace! The cost of these devices and the safety nature of their delivered services should demand even more stringent UAT than most software.
wakevortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Twitter done...though again, not holding my breath ! 

I did however earn a new badge from netgear for my posts here , so that makes up for it all ....... !!

Hi wakevortex,

You just earned a new badge!

10 Replies Posted

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 19.23.58.png

You've replied to 10 posts. Thanks for keeping the conversation going!

Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hahhaha! Me too!!!!! So many badges, so non-existent customer support replies. Who releases a brand new ‘update’ then leaves for the weekend????? FAILURE ALL THE WAY AROUND.

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don't know about other platforms fut the latest Android app update 2.6.0 has come out and I see three changes which are causing a headache already. First is the ability to quickly see which camera is watching for motion and/or audio. I have a bunch of modes and rather than having to click through each one trying to remember which mode turns on or off camera features I really liked being able to glance at the camera view for live play and see that info. Second, while I have noticed an improvement in buffering speed for live video I still have cameras that take upwards of 20 seconds to load. With the stop button now taken away during the buffering I have to click out of the camera display window and back in to get it to stop trying to play live video. Lastly, by taking away the link showing no new videos for a camera on the live view play screen I have to open the library then filter for the camera I want to focus on. These extra steps are a lot of clicks that we used to accomplish with one. Seems to me that you could just leave the link for new videos, leave it at zero but keep it alive for quick access or add a short cut for recorded video for that specific camera when clicking the three dots and choosing "timeline." That's great that I could access my CVR plan and a nice little marketing plug but I don't own it and it's simple a waste of a button that could actually help me and not try to sell me something.

I like other features of the new app but the ones above are driving me nuts.
DeeL2003
Initiate
Initiate

This new Android update has rendered the Arlo app pretty much useless. I have no access to camera settings or status in the settings area. All I can do is delete or change the device name. I notice others are able to see status in the settings area. This app update blows!!

Jonh113
Star
Star

after 

AFree the latest Arlo app upgrade I am no longer see badge notictions when something has been recorded. Normally you get the number of recordings but not getting anything now

Starr213
Initiate
Initiate

Totally discussed with the New app.... No notice, No Text, No Phone Call as a warning... This version is to say the least disappointing. I cannot check my cameras at a glance. I have no idea how many motions have been detected at any one time. Honestly what were you thinking ??? I have called support twice today asking to get the old very effective version back and they said so sorry this is what I will have to use until a new one comes out... I only hope you can get your act together. SOON !

ArtNels
Initiate
Initiate
(1) Arlo Pro (VMS4130)
(2) Arlo Pro (VMC4030)
VMB4000 Base

Recent software update 2.6.0_22600 from 10-20-18 has broken the ability to select from which camera I can view the particular prior library of videos. There used to be a button next to the "settings gear" that allowed access to the library videos from any of my three cameras, but now that button is gone if there are "0" unplayed videos. This button used to show "0" and selecting it would bring you to the library for that camera so you could access older already viewed recorded videos from prior time or dates.
Someone at Netgear/Arlo decided "why would anyone need a button to get to "0" new videos?" and promptly decided to take that out and only present the video button if there were at least "1" unviewed video! This, of course, broke the ability to enter the library section for that camera once all "new" videos were reviewed!
Geez, software engineers need to realize the full ramifications of changes they make to different actions in a software flow. What ever happened to the old adage "If it ain't broke dont fix it!"?
Now, the only "work around" I can think of is to go outside, force the camera to record a useless video so there is a new video, which then presents a library button for that camera so older videos (say from two days earlier) can be selected and viewed.
Please but back the ability for cameras to present a "0" new videos button so us users/customers can access our prior, already viewed, videos.
Thanks!
JohnRem
Guide
Guide

Hi. I have exactly the same issue.  On my iPad Pro in landscape won’t work on live.  Even on portrait it does not work correctly. The viewing screen are full screen. But none of the cameras work.  I am so over all the issues I have had with ARLO. nothing but problems. It will probably never get fixed. This update 2.6.0 has destroyed the camera system.  Don’t wast your money buying Arlo. Full of bugs and other issues.  I have tried everything to fix it such us deleting the app about 20 times. Tried all the settings. Even tried to find the old app to re install it. Nothing. 

Anotherronism
Initiate
Initiate
Why in earth would you take something like battery indicator and put it lower on the menu? I now have to click on each camera to check battery status? Utterly ridiculous change that in no way enhances the user experience. Do your programmers actually use your software. Awful decision.
wakevortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

and another ...2 in an hour...FIX MY APP!!!!

You just earned a new badge!

5 Kudos Received

You've received 5 Kudos! Keep up the great work!

View it on your profile

Prowl
Star
Star

"Clearly The Netgear/Arlo team aren’t listening to us in here so I think it’s time to take this frustration to a more public arena."

In all fairness... it is Sunday! Lets give them a few days to realised this stupid mistake. 

Have tweeted them this page

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I saw the redesigned app in an iPad. Wow, that's very bad like no status on the home page. Please bring them back. It's annoying to check each camera's ... icon for them. 😞

I also made a feedback idea to bring back the old design: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Bring-back-the-old-design-for-iOS-app/idi-p/1642852.

wakevortex
Apprentice
Apprentice
give them a few days ????? they release a bug ridden security product on a friday which means many can’t even VIEW their cameras which protect their family and property ... sure. ... if i’m burgled this weekend i would happily give them a “ few days” to return my property. !!! get real. it’s not a game it’s a security product. !!!!!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

The previous old iOS app design was fine since its home page showed the status like the cameras' batteries, signals, power, etc. The updated app from Friday is very different and annoying. User has to go to each camera to see them. Why not see them on home page like it used to do?