Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro version motion recording delay solved?

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
roobz
Follower
Follower

Does the new pro version take care of the delay between when motion is detected and when the recording starts?  Can you always be caching the video to avoid the delay?  It made the product useless as a security device for cars driving by, or even bikes.  The delay was significant enough that if it did catch the trigger, it was almost off screen already.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

For me, the motion control delay is a big improvement over my old orginal Arlos.

Here's a comparison video for those who didn't see it:

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As per the LIVE release today... they did touch on the point that the PIR  delay was much improved.

( now didgital as compared to the older analog (my guess))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

to cache the video,  the cameras would have to be on all the time. not very good for batteries.  what you want is a much faster wake up time to start recording as soon as it detects motion. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

As per the LIVE release today... they did touch on the point that the PIR  delay was much improved.

( now didgital as compared to the older analog (my guess))

from what they siad on the feed, they widened the PIR Field of view. I

I have so many questions about this new system, almost tempted to buy the Pro and put it through its paces just for fun..  not touching it though until I see A LOT of feedback.  Pretty cool they used my USB Thumb Drive Idea....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

I have so many questions about this new system, almost tempted to buy the Pro and put it through its paces just for fun..  not touching it though until I see A LOT of feedback.  Pretty cool they used my USB Thumb Drive Idea....

And I told them I had a patent on the solar panel unit !  🙂

( built one a year ago )

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So far it looks promising, but I am going to wait for the reviews as I did with the Arlo Q announcment, which I did not purchase.  My reasoning for not purchasing the Q, there are so many cameras that do what the Q can and they cost a lot less! With all the reviews I read, In my opinion, not worth it.

Now they come out with a new wireless, the PRO, the idea of complete wireless right there, was innovative and worth trying and the reason behind my Arlo purchase.  I tried and do have my Arlo working well for me.  As with others, issues were there, but like many, we taught ourselves to accept and wait for an update, upgrade or new model.

Well that day has come!  If the reviews back up the hype, Netgear Arlo Pro, HERE I COME!

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

Well that day has come!  If the reviews back up the hype, Netgear Arlo Pro, HERE I COME!

I know, I'll prob pick up at least a base unit ( when they go on sale by themselves ) if not more.

For me the best feature is the thumb drive record feature and with the new base that extends to the older units.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

TomMac wrote:

I know, I'll prob pick up at least a base unit ( when they go on sale by themselves ) if not more.

For me the best feature is the thumb drive record feature and with the new base that extends to the older units.

A very nice feature indeed!  Looking forward to see how it works.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

from what they siad on the feed, they widened the PIR Field of view. I

@Hula_Rock

Got this info today from facebook.... Netgear statement;

Arlo Smart Home Hi Ed - Great question. The Arlo Pro camera has two passive infrared sensors and provides up to 23 feet motion sensing range with 130 degree field of view. Once the motion and sound is detected, the camera will wake up in less than 150ns time and trigger recording automatically. Thus, you will not be needing the new base station, just the Arlo Pro camera.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's a pretty might claim from Netgear!

We will see soon enough.

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

@TomMac

130 feet degree field of view, with 23 feet of of motion sensing?  interesting.

whats more impressive is the 150 nano second power up time.  I have to get my hands on one of these and see for myself.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm concerned about that 130 degree FOV which is the same as the Q.  Great for indoors, not so much for outdoors.  The zoom with compression artifacts are an issue with the Q so you'd potentially need to mount the Pro closer to the subject to see enough detail, even at 1080.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I am wondering how much Trial and Error users will experience with the Arlo Pro.  Wider FOV, a second motion sensor is a recipe for false triggers if placed in the wrong area.   I do give them Kudos for the re-chargable batteries.......

GadgetGuy
Luminary
Luminary
I might be able to retire my other product that provides video and sound must it much be triggered by visitor.
This is very exciting. Sound and battery was on the top of the list for many of us.
And I might add, I got a Netgear Orbi last wee and the results have been great!
GadgetGuy
Luminary
Luminary
Apologies for the typos above. Posting from a crowded NYC subway.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

I am wondering how much Trial and Error users will experience with the Arlo Pro.  Wider FOV, a second motion sensor is a recipe for false triggers if placed in the wrong area.   I do give them Kudos for the re-chargable batteries.......

I was provided a 2 camera Pro system from Netgear as a result of being included in the Superuser program announced here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Welcome/Arlo-Superusers-Program/m-p/1152407#U1152407

I set the system up yesterday using one original and one Pro camera on the Pro base station with a 1TB hard drive attached.  Setup is virtually the same as before so no surprise to anyone here.  I positioned the Pro camera where the extra FOV could be useful and found - it's exactly the same as the original camera (110 degrees, not 130 like the Q).  I don't have much recorded as yet with the Pro camera so it may take a while to get a feel for any differences in how detection works.  I may add the original camera I took down from that location to be side-by-side to see what differences in identical setups might be.

This will be an ongoing process of discovery - I obviously don't havee all (any?) answers yet.  Time will tell.  I'll try to keep the community informed of significant differences/issues before the release of the new system to the public.  Please don't overwhelm me...  😛

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

For me, the motion control delay is a big improvement over my old orginal Arlos.

Here's a comparison video for those who didn't see it:

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

plasmo,

Great video. Thanks for sharing with the community!

JamesC

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

Here's another nice example of the 1st frame of a captured motion detection video- 

showing a flying bird in motion shooting past the camera.  Nice example of how quickly it triggered video capture:

image.jpg

alm99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Plasmo,

Which base station is each camera connected to? 

I am wondering if the Arlo Pro will get that responsiveness even with the original base station or if it makes a difference at all since the motion capture is at the camera?

Thanks

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

alm99 wrote:

Plasmo,

Which base station is each camera connected to? 

I am wondering if the Arlo Pro will get that responsiveness even with the original base station or if it makes a difference at all since the motion capture is at the camera?

Thanks

I currently am using the Pro base station.  I sold my original base station on Ebay, so cannot compare base stations.

scottjkohen
Aspirant
Aspirant

anyone know how long it takes in between two video recordings?  for instance, I am able to view the initial video of the mailman walking up my driveway, but then there is no 2nd video of him walking back the other way. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There's the length of the recording and then vthe 15-30 second reset (seems to vary depending on exact circumstances). So the mailman walking up would have to complete the recording, the camera would need to reset and then motion has to be detectability to start a new recording.
watchdog99
Luminary
Luminary

sorry...i was trying to post a still video shot.

watchdog99
Luminary
Luminary
not sure if this helps answer the questions.