Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pre-Trigger Recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
PittCaleb
Aspirant
Aspirant

The system I used prior to Arlo cached a variable amount of video, I had it set to 5 seconds, and when an event triggered recording, the video started from this pre-roll if you will.

I installed my camera's on Tuesday.  I am not catching the 'beginning' of the trigger event, which could potentially be quite useful.  For example, and bad example, I am cathing the snow plow driving across the screen.  But it only shows the 'end' of the plow, missing the beginning of the event.

A 3 or 5 second buffer would be a great addition to the recordings.

PittCaleb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PRO does have a slight pre-record buffer... but not what your thinking. ( the Q cameras go back about 5 seconds as they are always recording )

The pre-buffer on the PRO works a bit different ( TMK ), in that the trigger event ( motion detected by the dual PIRs ) instantly starts recording before sending a notice to the base ( unlike the older Arlo )... the base then responds back and the camera sends all stored and the normal video.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PRO does have a slight pre-record buffer... but not what your thinking. ( the Q cameras go back about 5 seconds as they are always recording )

The pre-buffer on the PRO works a bit different ( TMK ), in that the trigger event ( motion detected by the dual PIRs ) instantly starts recording before sending a notice to the base ( unlike the older Arlo )... the base then responds back and the camera sends all stored and the normal video.

Morse is faster than texting!
swboss
Aspirant
Aspirant

This doesn't seem to answer the question IMO.  The member is asking if there's a provision allowing him to NOT miss recording of the snow plow entering the frame.  This is especially important as it could very well be a perpetrator's face, a license plate or other evidence.

Thanks. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No, not with the wireless cameras. To get pre-buffer you'd have to have the camera always on, reducing battery life considerably. And since these cameras are only 720p as well as very wide angle, the use to pick up details that aren't close to the camera isn't possible.
swboss
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Arlo Q capable of this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes, the Q pre-buffers the video so you get a few seconds of video prior to what actually triggered the recording. The only catch is if you subscribe to CVR (continuous video recording), the videos in the library lose that pre-buffer but of course you can use CVR to see those few seconds. I'd prefer that the videos still have​ the pre-buffer but...