Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Camera on Arlo Base Interference

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I picked up an Arlo Pro camera to replace an Arlo Wire Free camera at the front of my house. The original Arlo works well but as it looks down the length of the driveway, I thought I'd grab a Pro camera for the improved motion sensing (plus rechargeable battery)

The first thing I noticed was how much better it 'sees' at night.

But what I've found is that the Pro camera is subject to much more interference. The video is blocky, freezes for a second, or has large green patches. I've tried changing the channel on my router to have the base follow it and change to a less crowded channel and have tried 1, 6, 11 and auto. I've reduced the power output of the 2.4GHz band on my Orbi router to 25% though it doesn't appear to have reduced much according to wifi analyzer.

The Pro camera is on exactly the same mount that the original camera was on and has full wifi strength on the indicator.

I guess my question is whether I can expect any clearer a video from the Arlo Pro base station? I may have to relegate this camera to a different part of the house. Does this camera have an less video bandwidth with some of the original bandwidth allocated to audio?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oops. I just saw an entire massive thread dedicated to this. Guess we can close my one

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Pixelated-video-Arlo-Pro/td-p/1168123

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's not likely to be a base issue. How far is the camera from the base and what kinds of obstructions does the signal pass through? What is the house construction? Can you move the base closer, at least temporarily?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

That's what I was hoping to not hear (about the base)

It's the closest camera to the base. There is a brick wall for the signal to pass through but again, the original arlo camera in the exact same position had no issues and the signal strength is 3 full bars. I can't get the base any closer without a long ethernet cable and power cord running down the hallway. The base is now in the most central part of the house in a cupboard as I had an electrician come to install power points here and route my fibre optic internet to here

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that the Pro camera somehow has a weaker signal. Temporarily place the camera inside the brick wall to see if that makes a difference.  It's possible that a small difference in the camera location (perhaps inches) could make a big difference.

Of course, you could swap the camera at the store or open a case with support here.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I've swapped it to the lowest traffic area of the property. The original Arlo back in place is far clearer. Haven't tested out the Pro in its new position though. I'll look at a swap at the store if it isn't up to it in its new position. Thanks

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oops. I just saw an entire massive thread dedicated to this. Guess we can close my one

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Pixelated-video-Arlo-Pro/td-p/1168123