Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SirV
Star
Star

When I download a file that has been recorded why is it not in HD. Quality is awful, VLC says its 640x354

Recording is set to best quality

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like there's an issue with something in your networking between the camera and the servers.  A slow/poor connection will cause the resolution to drop automatically.  It can also cause poor quality video in the first place.

What are your WiFi indicators showing? What's your upload speed measured by speedtest.net?

SirV
Star
Star

Wifi indicators are showing full strength on both cameras:

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 13.42.16.png

My broadband speed is not an issue

Wifi speed:

6121517654.png

Wired speed:

6121527321.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the images yet - they have to be approved.  Since I can't see them, I only note that you metion both wired and wireless speeds - were these to speedtest.net or measured internally?

Also, it may not be the speeds themselves but something else that's interfering with the WiFi signal between the base and camera.  Anything that uses the 2.4GHz band, not just WiFi, can be an issue.  Does this happen on all cameras or just one?  If you swap cameras around temporarily, does the issue remain with the camera or position? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is also the settings for Best video,  optimized video , and Best Battery...check those and change and SAVE , then change back to best, SAVE

SETTINGS>VIDEO SETTINGS

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
SirV
Star
Star

speedtest results links

Wired

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6121527321.png

Wireless

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6121517654.png

I see now a Netgear09 device on my network which must the base, can it be logged into?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No. the bases have no access

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I want your connection! My 25Mbs down and 2Mbs up just sucks.

So, your connection to the Internet isn't the issue. That rather leaves either an interference issue or a bad camera. Temporarily place the camera elsewhere, maybe near the router, to see if that makes a difference.
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary
How and where are you downloading the files to? I believe the iPhone an iPad downsample files in certain circumstances when downloading. If you are not downloading to a PC or mac can you try that? If you are can you tried a different player? Could be that your VLC is not recognizing the codec correctly. Do you have local storage attached, if not could you drop a USB stick on there and see how that footage looks.?
I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

SirV wrote:

I see now a Netgear09 device on my network which must the base, can it be logged into?

Can you see this in you WiFi list or actually attached to your Network, if the latter then I would block the mac address via your router but it is proably just something that has latched on to your wifi rather than actually connected to it. It is nothing to do with Arlo.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

MarkC wrote:

SirV wrote:

Can you see this in you WiFi list or actually attached to your Network, if the latter then I would block the mac address via your router but it is proably just something that has latched on to your wifi rather than actually connected to it. It is nothing to do with Arlo.

@MarkC   Mark... just want to let you know that the Arlo base /Arlo Pro base DO broadcast the SSID and do show up in a routers listings as they are assigned an IP

older bases use to show as different names like NTGR VMB xxxxxx ,  but lately they have shown up just like mentioned ( change was made by Netgear so they wouldn't stand out as camera routers

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac wrote:

MarkC wrote:

SirV wrote:

@MarkC   Mark... just want to let you know that the Arlo base /Arlo Pro base DO broadcast the SSID and do show up in a routers listings as they are assigned an IP

older bases use to show as different names like NTGR VMB xxxxxx ,  but lately they have shown up just like mentioned ( change was made by Netgear so they wouldn't stand out as camera routers

Thanks,  yes I realise they are assigned an IP address and broadcast the SSID. Think my question was worded badly, I should have asked where it as visible (on the router itself or in File Explorer) as I have never seen it under my Network places unless I looked directly on the routers connected devices. It read to me as if it was attached to the network rather than appearing as a WiFI Network and also no mention of it being looked at via the connections on the router. Hope this makes sense lol, still my bad though 🙂 

Thank you for clarifying. 

SirV
Star
Star

I see Netgear09 as a SSID,  If I do a network scan I see it as vmb4000 Netgear.

If I turn off the base station both these items disappear.

My broadband connection is pretty amazing, proper fibre all the way into the property.

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

SirV wrote:

I see Netgear09 as a SSID,  If I do a network scan I see it as vmb4000 Netgear.

If I turn off the base station both these items disappear.

My broadband connection is pretty amazing, proper fibre all the way into the property.

Smiley Happy My concern was that you actually saw it attached to your network in file file explorer etc. That would have concerned  me a  little, that is all.

Yeah, great connection, I max out at 250d/l and about 40u/l 

SirV
Star
Star

I'll check on a Windows PC later, tend to use Mac's