Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing broken with iOS 13. Need to open app and it figures out my location changed.

markjericho
Star
Star

After updating to iOS 13, my geofencing no longer works. Shocking. Geofencing is the most unstable feature in this product. I find I need to open the app and then it figures out my locations has changed. Come on Arlo, does anyone test this stuff there?!?!

294 REPLIES 294
85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Count me among those who are having geofencing issues.  As of yesterday, geofencing no longer is correctly reporting the location for my wife, my son, and me.  It either shows us as Unavailable or shows Out of Zone when we are at home.  Everything was working fine until yesterday (maybe a day or two earlier).  Nothing has changed as far as I can tell.  This is particularly frustrating because I had geofencing problems earlier this year.  Without geofencing, my Arlo system is absolutely useless as a security system.

85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been running the beta of iOS 13 for awhile.  My wife and son were not running the beta.  I didn't have any geofencing issues.  I don't know when my son updated to IOS 13 (or if he is still on iOS12).  However, I updated my wife's iPhone to iOS 13 this past weekend.  All the sudden, geofencing isn't working properly for any of us.  Yesterday, we were all home but Arlo showed us all as Out of Zone.  At one point, it showed my wife's and son's locations as Unavailable.  

Arlo, this is extremely frustrating!  This is the second time in six months that geofencing has stopped working properly.  I don't want cameras inside my house turned on when I am home.  At this point, I might as well go back to Nest.  I've NEVER had an issue with geofencing with Nest.

hikinman
Guide
Guide

I have been in contact with Arlo "Technical support".  They really don't have "Technical Support", it's more like customer service, and they look at a script.  

The last "tech" I spoke with said that the support team had fixed the geofencing issues.  Clearly they have not.  It took at least 3 or 4 calls/chat sessions, and waiting on hold for literally hours for help.  They eventually sent me a survey for the engineering team (at least that is what they said) and said they would be back with me in 48 hours....that was last week.

The support is pretty awful for this product.  I'm extremely surprised how awful the support is.

steveomac
Guide
Guide

Another issue that has started happening is that it keeps changing my address location, randomly.

Went on chat with support today and if upgrade to IOS 13.1.2 this will solve the issue

Will update tonight and let you know what happens

Whatarussh
Star
Star

Here we go again. Geofencing was down for nearly 2 months not that long ago. The worst software testing on the planet! Our system went crazy some time last night. Doesn't recognize our iPhone X is home, not sure if it will see our iPhone 8 as it hasn't been back in the home zone since the trouble started. We have restarted the iPhone X, cycled the allow location Always  on and off and reset the the base stations, none of these have got Geofencing to recognize that the iPhone X is in the zone. Alpha, Beta, test test test then release, PLEASE!!!

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is the fact they sell it as a security system though AND do so little testing.  Using terms like "true peace of mind".  They are really just expensive and very average IP cameras.  At this point those little stickers that come with the kit for your door are an invitation to rob you due to the pathetic reliability.

Koin
Guide
Guide
I’ve given up on geofencing within the app. As a work around, I’ve been using IFTTT paired with Life360 to keep a basic geofencing setup going. Doing this far more restrictive than the native app’s geofencing (e.g. you can’t select custom modes), but might get everyone by until Arlo sorts themselves out. The Arlo app is broken and I doubt we will see any improvements until they start investing more time and money in it.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not a bad idea.  IFTTT has decent geofencing.  But seems that integration is also currently broken.  When trying to connect the service IFTTT reports "Cannot connect the service" after performing the auth on Arlo's servers.  😂  Not sure they have software QA tbh.

Oh and now I am getting spam solicitations as DMs on the Arlo community, of the personal nature..... bbahaha.  Woeful.

Koin
Guide
Guide
I can’t believe it but you’re right, Arlo’s not working on IFTTT now too. What a joke.
Whatarussh
Star
Star

Update to my earlier post. Geofencing doesn't recognize our iPhone X or iPhone 8 being within the zone. Previously checked location is Always on, rebooted both phones and base station. Have a friend with Arlo Pro 2 having the same issue as well. Considering the word is out that IFTTT users are also having the issue indicates that the root cause is likely in house at Arlo. Would be nice if Arlo would communicate with their customer base when these events take place, the silence is very unprofessional and is really bad for customer relations.  

hikinman
Guide
Guide

I asked for an update to the case on 10/8.  Yesterday Arlo customer service called me, had me do troubleshooting i've already done (because Arlo service says that the geofencing issue is resolved).  I asked for an update based on the previous troubleshooting and survey I took, but they said they needed another 48 hours to get back to me on an update.

I'm not entirely sure what is happening inside of Arlo, but something is definitely wrong. 

dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like Geofencing is broken again for unkown reason since late late week~early this week.

All Shared Devices's Location status no loner visable on Geofencing setting page (see attached screen capture)

All iPhones all on iOS v13.1.2

All iOS Arlo App version 2.9.1(1134), Release 19 Sep 2019

My Samsung Note 8 is on Android Arlo App version v2.9.2_25930, Release 23 Sep 2019

Went through the usual device reboot, chaning mode & remove/add devices on Geofencing setting page .... bla bla bla all the usual trouble shoot steps after two days, and still no go.

I've check all shared devices's Location Services are all set to "Always"  & Back Ground App Refresh to "On"

Something is broken again on the serivce side I bet!!!

steveomac
Guide
Guide

its been 2 days now on the new OS update and thus far it seems t have cured the issue.

Ugly_Bloke
Guide
Guide

I too am getting the automatic Geofencing not working on iOS 13 with the new app.   When I open the app it then updates.   I missed an incident on my front drive this morning due to the system not automatically arming when I left my home!  This has worked perfectly for two years but nothing but trouble since the new app and/or iOS 13.  

ChuckDoherty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like many others, I too have geofencing issues since upgrading to the new app and iOS13 on my iPhone 8. It will not recognize my location unless I open the app and bring it to the foreground.  I submitted a trouble ticket 5 days ago and received an automated reply that I would hear back "within 1-2 business days" and since then, nothing.  Chat is useless and is simply someone going through a script of steps that I have already taken.  I am most disappointed with Arlo's lack of addressing what seems to be a commonly-reported problem.  Arlo: if you reply to this, please reply with an actual solution, not simply "did you contact support?" because I DID contact support, to no avail.  Does a solution to this problem, which seems to affect many users, even exist?

Civilized
Aspirant
Aspirant

good for you taht it works

Still problem for me with Samsung s10 + on latest os and patch level with the latest arlo client and

EVERYTHING updated, and all iphones on latest ios.

GEOFENCING I STILL NOT WORKING FOR ME

VictorJetz
Guide
Guide
I have the most updated IOS and still having issues with Geofencing. So not sure why this thread was marked as “Solution Posted”. Clearly this continues to be an issue on the Arlo/Netgear end and not Apple iOS. Please fix the issue with Geofencing
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our development team is looking into reports where the Arlo app needs to be opened to determine your location. Once we hear more information or update, we'll be sure to update the community here.

Talktotone
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep, I too am having the same issue. Definitely related to the IOS 13 update.

I am running 13.1.2 with the latest app on an XR and geofencing seems to work just fine, however, the "location in/out notifications' feature does not work.

My wife is running 13.1.2 with the latest app on an 8+. Arlo does not recognise when she moves location. However, once you launch the app on her phone it instantly picks up that we're out of the house and arms the system. 

Both phones are set up with background refresh and share location set to always. Have deleted and reinstalled the app, have done all the usual BS trouble shooting suggested. The error is with Arlo. Come on team fix this.

Tomwebb81
Tutor
Tutor
I’m running 2 iphones, one geo fencing seems to work but my wifes does not and it says in zone when she is well out of zone.
Worked fine before the ios13 upgrade.
85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thursday evening, I (in the following order) rebooted the Arlo Base Station, deleted the Arlo app and all data from my iPhone XS Max, rebooted my iPhone, and then reinstalled (and configured) the Arlo app on my iPhone.  At that point, Arlo correctly recognized my status as being In Zone and then Out of Zone when I left the house Friday morning and as being In Zone when I returned Friday evening.  Yesterday morning, I deleted the Arlo app and all data from my wife's iPhone 7 Plus, rebooted her iPhone, and then reinstalled the Arlo app.  Within an hour, Arlo was correctly recognizing when she was In Zone  and Out of Zone.  Earlier today, I deleted the Arlo app and all data from my son's iPhone X, rebooted his iPhone, and then reinstalled the Arlo app.  Shortly thereafter, Arlo correctly recognized him as being In Zone.  Prior to all this, Arlo either said each iPhone's status was Unavailable or incorrectly reported the status as being Out of Zone.  Hopefully, this has resolved the issue for me, but only time will tell.

85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thursday evening, I (in the following order) rebooted the Arlo Base Station, deleted the Arlo app and all data from my iPhone XS Max, rebooted my iPhone, and then reinstalled (and configured) the Arlo app on my iPhone.  At that point, Arlo correctly recognized my status as being In Zone and then Out of Zone when I left the house Friday morning and as being In Zone when I returned Friday evening.  Yesterday morning, I deleted the Arlo app and all data from my wife's iPhone 7 Plus, rebooted her iPhone, and then reinstalled the Arlo app.  Within an hour, Arlo was correctly recognizing when she was In Zone  and Out of Zone.  Earlier today, I deleted the Arlo app and all data from my son's iPhone X, rebooted his iPhone, and then reinstalled the Arlo app.  Shortly thereafter, Arlo correctly recognized him as being In Zone.  Prior to all this, Arlo either said each iPhone's status was Unavailable or incorrectly reported the status as being Out of Zone.  Hopefully, this has resolved the issue for me, but only time will tell.

FYI, my wife is running iOS 13.1.2.  I am running the latest beta of iOS 13.2.  I'm not sure what version of iOS 13 my son is running other than it is NOT 13.2 beta.

steveomac
Guide
Guide
Update, it worked for a few days, but now gone back to not working with my wife’s and sons phone.
We were all out of zone yesterday and it said they were in zone.
The only way to update the zone is too open the app every time.
Whatarussh
Star
Star

As hopeless as it seems I continue to try different things to get Geofencing working again but just like the previous GF failures the problem resides at Arlo. We have rebooted base stations and both phones (iPhone 8 Plus and an iPhone X), un-installed and reinstalled the App, turned location on and off, set it to Always, tried with when using App, nothing has worked. We'll be at home and the App will see us in the zone on the map yet GeoFencing still indicates we are away and the cameras are triggered and firing. Lets put some effort into this Arlo and please communicate with us. PLEASE!!

Talktotone
Apprentice
Apprentice
After rebooting the base station and logging out both phones I have monitored GF over the past couple of days and it appears to be working as designed. I have 2 x iPhones both on 13.1.2 with the latest app. Both phones are logged in as the primary account and this seems to work.