Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Houltoneer
Follower
Follower

It’s late January in Northern WI. Temps can consistently reach below -4F operating limitiations. Can I leave device outside in -15F or greater without damaging? Noticed device quit working around -4F. At what temp will device begin to operate again? Does it need room temp to warm back up, or will it operate again at lets say 2 degrees? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No harm, no foul. The camera will start operating again on it's own when it warms up. I don't know how much hysteresis is built in but I think a few degrees above -4F will allow the camera to operate again. I have one offline right now due to cold and will be watching to see when it recovers.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No harm, no foul. The camera will start operating again on it's own when it warms up. I don't know how much hysteresis is built in but I think a few degrees above -4F will allow the camera to operate again. I have one offline right now due to cold and will be watching to see when it recovers.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was wondering about this myself.  Glad I don't have to bring them in.

Cold ArloCold Arlo

JimV0319
Aspirant
Aspirant

Really looking for the operating range, temperature wise.  My cameras are easy to take down and I would prefer that to waiting until noon each day for the things to turn on.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is up to -9 here and one out of the three cameras is working again.

JimV0319
Aspirant
Aspirant

Found the manual on the Arlo site.  Range for my Arlo is -4 to 113F.

It is currently -8 where I live. 

I guess just a minor annoyance of not having a live powered  camera system which would likely have a built-in heater for the camera.  Since it is probably <-4 just a couple of days a year, I'll deal with it.  If I was in need of 24x7 camera communication, Arlo wouldn't work for me.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depending on your needs, a Q camera might be useful since it can detect motion through a window.

jimci1234
Tutor
Tutor

I have  cameras outside.  It is -23f and only the camers that is pulgged in with the battery removed is working. So maybe the answer is if possible plug the camera in. However, I have not tested it with the battery in and plugged in yet. 

JimV0319
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the lithium battery is the culprit.
I specifically bought these cameras to run off a battery...no easy way to bring power. For all the positives, I can deal with no camera 1% of the time.
Stay warm, -22 where I am!
Club1820
Star
Star
Same here in Chi-Town