Device Warm Up After Sub Zero Temp

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Highlighted
Houltoneer Follower
Follower

It’s late January in Northern WI. Temps can consistently reach below -4F operating limitiations. Can I leave device outside in -15F or greater without damaging? Noticed device quit working around -4F. At what temp will device begin to operate again? Does it need room temp to warm back up, or will it operate again at lets say 2 degrees? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

No harm, no foul. The camera will start operating again on it's own when it warms up. I don't know how much hysteresis is built in but I think a few degrees above -4F will allow the camera to operate again. I have one offline right now due to cold and will be watching to see when it recovers.

All Replies
Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

No harm, no foul. The camera will start operating again on it's own when it warms up. I don't know how much hysteresis is built in but I think a few degrees above -4F will allow the camera to operate again. I have one offline right now due to cold and will be watching to see when it recovers.

Rueg Apprentice
Apprentice

I was wondering about this myself.  Glad I don't have to bring them in.

Cold Arlo.JPGCold Arlo

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
JimV0319 Aspirant
Aspirant

Really looking for the operating range, temperature wise.  My cameras are easy to take down and I would prefer that to waiting until noon each day for the things to turn on.

Rueg Apprentice
Apprentice

It is up to -9 here and one out of the three cameras is working again.

JimV0319 Aspirant
Aspirant

Found the manual on the Arlo site.  Range for my Arlo is -4 to 113F.

It is currently -8 where I live. 

I guess just a minor annoyance of not having a live powered  camera system which would likely have a built-in heater for the camera.  Since it is probably <-4 just a couple of days a year, I'll deal with it.  If I was in need of 24x7 camera communication, Arlo wouldn't work for me.

Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

Depending on your needs, a Q camera might be useful since it can detect motion through a window.

jimci1234 Tutor
Tutor

I have  cameras outside.  It is -23f and only the camers that is pulgged in with the battery removed is working. So maybe the answer is if possible plug the camera in. However, I have not tested it with the battery in and plugged in yet. 

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
JimV0319 Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the lithium battery is the culprit.
I specifically bought these cameras to run off a battery...no easy way to bring power. For all the positives, I can deal with no camera 1% of the time.
Stay warm, -22 where I am!
Club1820 Star
Star