Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I connect to the Arlo Base to cellular instead of slow DSL wired internet?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
emoze
Aspirant
Aspirant

is there a simple way to direct connect the VMB400 Base to use ATT cellular (which has 5G antenna 2 blocks from my house )?

have VMB400 base & 4 arlo wifi cameras plus 1 arlo Q+ all connected via slow DSL  via a NetGear DGND3700v2  results of which is arguably not close to  real time when it comes to checking alerts from thousand miles away via iPhone

i am not concerned about the bandwidth use for the few times i might need to see the cameras from far away since i pay for unlimited cellular

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emoze wrote:

is there a simple way to direct connect the VMB400 Base to use ATT cellular (which has 5G antenna 2 blocks from my house )?

You'd need to get a mobile broadband router (or hotspot) with ethernet out for the base.  AT&T does offer the Netgear Nighthawk M6, but it is pricey.

emoze
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK - looked up the Nighthawk - not clear to me how it can RECEIVE signals from ARLO base via ethernet cable & then transmit them to cellular - nothing in reviews suggest using it that way 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emoze wrote:

OK - looked up the Nighthawk - not clear to me how it can RECEIVE signals from ARLO base via ethernet cable & then transmit them to cellular - nothing in reviews suggest using it that way 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR6110/MR6110_DS_ATT.pdf

1G Ethernet Port
Distribute Gigabit Internet speeds at home by connecting your
wired devices to the 1G Ethernet port.

It's a LAN port, the same as you would find on a traditional ISP router.   When you connect it to your base, the base will reach the Arlo Cloud over the internet through the mobile router (hotspot).