Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed a 3 cams arlo pro system at my mother's house since Dec 18.  I noticed a repeat pattern that after i recharged and re-sync the 2 outside cams on Friday, they work fine with strong signal and good battery indication through out the whole weekend.  Then starting Monday, they went off line and the batteries drained (flashing amber when re-insert the bat).  This cycle has been going twice now.  The base seems to work fine.  If the internet service is slow for some reason, will it affect the batteries? 

Thx

9 REPLIES 9
Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Amati5 wrote:

I installed a 3 cams arlo pro system at my mother's house since Dec 18.  I noticed a repeat pattern that after i recharged and re-sync the 2 outside cams on Friday, they work fine with strong signal and good battery indication through out the whole weekend.  Then starting Monday, they went off line and the batteries drained (flashing amber when re-insert the bat).  This cycle has been going twice now.  The base seems to work fine.  If the internet service is slow for some reason, will it affect the batteries?  

Thx

Oh, i forgot.  The system is always on disarmed mode. We just use the cameras to monitor the house.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

What do you mean by “discharged”?  I know they were charged fine and showed full for 2 days (sat and sun), then all of a sudden, drained (or you can say “discharged”) on Monday.  My question is what drained or discharged the outside batteries.  From the link you attached, it says battery status is not accurate if temp is below 60 and it’s has been above or near 60.  I didn’t have a chance to check the status because they were off line but I know they were drained because I replaced the inside camera’s bat with these batteries and the inside camera went off line, too.

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update:  it has nothing to do with weekdays.  I recharged and re-sync them on Monday night and everything was fine with strong signal and 100% bat indicator.  I even moved the cameras inside the house  (but almost the same distance, about 25 feet from base).  Tuesday night both cameras' batteries drained. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That tends to imply something is interfering with the signal to the cameras, likely near the base since both cameras are doing the same thing. Just to be sure, the cameras aren't next to each other, are they? Try moving the base away from the router and check to make sure that no wireless device of any type that uses the 2.4GHz band is near the base.

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

There was a Medical Guardian device sitting on its charging station next to the base which I had suspected.  It uses both GPS and WiFi to locate its position.  I moved it about 10 feet away but it didn’t seem to make a difference.  The third camera is sitting about 10 feet away from the base which never had a problem.  This old house also doesn’t have drywall but the older type if that makes any difference.  I took a pic of the spec of the Medical Guardian.  It doesn’t seem to use 2.4 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree - the Medical Guardian doesn't seem to be the issue.

My house is lathe and plaster, too, and I have no particualr problem although it can cause more issues than drywall. Try swapping a camera with that one you don't have problems with - that will tell you if it's the camera or location.

It's possible a system reset would be the cure but no guarantees.

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did swap and it is the locations.  The drained cameras are only about 20-25 ft away and one of them doesn’t even have a wall in between.  This house has no other WiFi devices.  Does the base has to be plugged directly to the router or it can communicate wirelessly.  If not, I can try to move the base to different locations.

I have 5 cam system at my 4000 sq ft home and most of them about 40-50 feet from the base, going through many walls and it has been working perfectly for about a year even though the signals on some are very week, just one bar.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wireless doesn't necessarily mean WiFi. Cordless phones and even microwave ovens use 2.4GHz. There are other devices, too, but you'd have to just check around to see what may be doing this. 

The base must use Ethernet to connect. It's the camera to base connection that uses the dedicated WiFi.