Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
svtdriver
Guide
Guide

I got an alert today from Amazon regarding the Arlo Pro outdoor power adapter (VMA4700).

"The NETGEAR  has informed us that the product  Arlo Outdoor Power Adapters (Model No. VMA4700) may have an issue with the connection between the adapter and Arlo Pro cameras may allow water to enter the camera. When this happens the camera may stop charging, cease to work, or overheat. If you believe your purchase is impacted, please stop using the product. NETGEAR has informed us that they will provide additional information to customers."

My question to NETGEAR, is there a replacement cable forthcoming? How would you be contacting me? Through Amazon?

Thanks!

31 REPLIES 31
g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary
Greetings from Amazon.

We have recently learned of a potential quality issue regarding the following product that our records indicate you purchased from Amazon:
Arlo by NETGEAR Outdoor Power Adapter - Arlo Pro Compatible (VMA4700)

The NETGEAR has informed us that the product Arlo Outdoor Power Adapters (Model No. VMA4700) may have an issue with the connection between the adapter and Arlo Pro cameras may allow water to enter the camera. When this happens the camera may stop charging, cease to work, or overheat. If you believe your purchase is impacted, please stop using the product. NETGEAR has informed us that they will provide additional information to customers.

For more details on what you should do, please contact Amazon Customer Service at https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with this information.

The safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.
addertay
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wonder if there is going to be a newer model

dchbbc
Initiate
Initiate

I received the same email. I've only had my Arlo Pro 2 for 2 days and had to call about this. I have to say, the help is horrible. I don't care what country someone lives in but if you don't understand what I'm saying, can't complete a sentence and don't know anything about the product, you shouldn't be answering a help line, only to repeat back everything I say. (end of rant)....I called twice and was told that there was nothing wrong with the adapter. I don't want to use it no since I don't believe that Amazon made up the email. I email Netgear also so maybe there will be a response. I'll post if I get a reply.

addertay
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just purchased 2 from Amazon and I had only tried 1 of them. That one will need to go back as it was sometimes showing that power was not connected on the camera. I also had a power drain that may have been from having to use the camera inverted with the power cable. It only had 1 bar on Wireless connection and being outside in the cold it was loosing charge fast even when it was showing power. I may return both and just use the cameras outdoor on battery. Since disconnecting the cable I have not seen an unusual drop in battery percentage. 

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
I get the feeling that the waterproof connection is an excuse for a more serious flaw. What about tick-tock clicking sound when charging, or the never fully charged battery? Hope it’s not the beginning of a Samsung style recall of the the Galaxy Note cell phone due to exploding batteries. Took a lot longer than expected to release the outdoor adaptor last year (was listed as “coming soon” for like 6 months), only now to find that it was flawed.... Arlo is trying to save money by cutting quality, and now its biting them....
offthewagon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh great. I just purchased this for my new cameras, that just arrived. I received the same notice. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't plug these in. Changing the battery pack is a pain in the neck (I have 2  cameras currently). I will have to look at other cameras (i.e. Nest, Logi Circle 2, Ring) if I can't use these without power.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's all supposition with no proof.

svtdriver
Guide
Guide

I have been using this cable for some time without any issue. Granted, I'm not in a very wet state. Worse case, the camera breaks. Better than getting out a tall ladder to replace the battery. 

dchbbc
Initiate
Initiate

So I wrote Netgear about this and they wrote back telling me that I couldn't use an indoor adapter outside. They obviously can't read since I told them it was their outdoor adapter, which I do not find on their site for sale. Did they pull it off the market?

They also said they have no information saying there is a problem with the adapter and want me to send them proof of the letter.

This is not a good start for me with customer service.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

That's all supposition with no proof.

Don't be so naeve or dismissive of peoples issues. I've had nothing but problems with my Arlo Pros' and charging; I always thought it was the camera, so it' wouldn't be unjustified that actually its a problem between the camera and the power adapter.

The proof is in the email from Amazon, they wouldn't send it without good reason (and to two people none the less). Whos to say this isn't contributory to the below?

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

In response to the question the OP raised to Netgear, then this is also not unsurprising. I've never come across such as mis-informed, poorly constructed support channel as I've had with Netgear. You get different responses, from different people on different days, and from different parts of the organisation. Communication is NOT their strong point, whereas taking your money is.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seems lots of people are getting this same mail.

Not that it will ever happen, but there needs to be a formal announcement from Netgear on this. @JamesC

This is product recall territory.

It also has the possibility to damage the camera itself and lots of these people that have 'not a genuine arlo charger' issues could be related.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
I bought the outdoor power cables but not fitted yet still on batteries.

Was planning to this weekend and have contacted the Arlo team, sadly these always seems as hopeless as this forum help wise from Arlo.

JEEP2001
Initiate
Initiate
Just put some goop or silicone around the plug.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that this can void your warranty.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Don't forget that this can void your warranty.

Wondering whether either power adapter or camera warranty would actually apply and get full replacement of a damaged camera by Netgear.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just had a call from the customer services team at Netgear to follow up on a different issue (probably one of the most helpful people so far I've come across in Netgear), but it was interesting to note in my conversation that although this hasn't been raised internally and she would follow up herself as it's in their interest to, that when these type of issues are flagged the Community Team (JamesC, Brad et al) have an obligation as employees of Netgear to raise repeat issues or concerns (just as this is) into the engineering team at Netgear.

I'm not convinced this happens personally, so the question here is what is the community manager doing about this (and other issues)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul_FCCL wrote:

Wondering whether either power adapter or camera warranty would actually apply and get full replacement of a damaged camera by Netgear.

I would think that damage caused by proper use of a Netgear device to another Netgear device would be covered with no issue.  If someone has an issue like this that's not resolved satisfactorily, yell loudly both here and using your case.

aandreol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

Just a note of caution, I had exactly the issue described on Amazon's email.

The Camera and the Power Connector burnt.

Pls see pictures attached.

Opened a case with Netgear help desk, wating for a resolution.

[]s

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wow! Haven't seen that before. I had an issue with water getting into the camera connection and causing corrosion but nothing like this.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Paul_FCCL wrote:

I would think that damage caused by proper use of a Netgear device to another Netgear device would be covered with no issue.  If someone has an issue like this that's not resolved satisfactorily, yell loudly both here and using your case.

Yes I couldn’t agree with you more, that’s how it should be.

aandreol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeap! Check-out Amazon's cutomer review on this item. There is another picture very similar with my case.

His description is eaxcatly as mine, the camera and the power adapter connector burnt.

Amazon removed this item from the store and I got the message below.

[]s

Greetings from Amazon.

We have recently learned of a potential quality issue regarding the following product that our records indicate you purchased from Amazon:
Arlo by NETGEAR Outdoor Power Adapter - Arlo Pro Compatible (VMA4700)

The NETGEAR  has informed us that the product  Arlo Outdoor Power Adapters (Model No. VMA4700) may have an issue with the connection between the adapter and Arlo Pro cameras may allow water to enter the camera. When this happens the camera may stop charging, cease to work, or overheat. If you believe your purchase is impacted, please stop using the product. NETGEAR has informed us that they will provide additional information to customers.

For more details on what you should do, please contact Amazon Customer Service at https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with this information.

The safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon
www.amazon.com
armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Aandreol, that’s a badly burnt usb plug. Think there is more to it than a bad “waterproof” connection. Hope you get it replaced.

We’re you running the camera in CVR mode when that happened ? Just wondering if a constant, long-term, high power power current flow triggered the burn ?
aandreol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

No CVR mode, only the basic plan with short video storage.

[]s

Adriano

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

aandreol wrote:

Hi 

No CVR mode, only the basic plan with short video storage.

[]s

Adriano

Was this with Arlo Pro or Arlo P2 camera?