Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro does higher % mean it will pick up from further away?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Parrya
Follower
Follower

for the motion sensitivity level, is higher the % mean it picks up more form further away? or does lower the % ?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Distance doesn't change but the sensitivity to IR changes does. The higher percentage means more sensitive.

BobRB
Tutor
Tutor

I too need to understand the sensitivity a little better also.  It was mentioned its an adjustment of the IR sensitivity. But, when you increase the sensitivity does that mean it will sense objects further away? Also, I have some palm trees nearby. Even though their not physically in the cameras view, the shadows of the palms moving in the wind seem to trigger an event. If I crank down the sensitivity to not trigger on these shadows, then it seems like I lose the area of my front porch where I want to have an event if someone or something moves onto the porch.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would take testing to see if distance actually changes with the sensitivity setting. I don't believe it would since I don't get far away trees causing false triggers. However, if the shadows are within the ~25 foot stated range of the camera's sensor, I'd certainly believe their motion with the sun's IR seeming to move due to leaf/branch movement would cause a trigger.

The best solution, which may be difficult to achieve, is to eliminate as much scenery as possible, focusing soley on the area of interest.

Timmay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoiler
"It would take testing to see if distance actually changes with the sensitivity setting."
Maybe the Netgear team could just tell us if that is the case based on their testing and design.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

"Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free, and Arlo Go cameras trigger when the infrared technology detects an object that is warmer than the surrounding environment."

The range of motion detection will remain the same, increasing sensitivity allows for more subtle changes in the environment to trigger recordings.

How does the motion detection feature work on my Arlo cameras?

JamesC