Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro sensitivity trigger

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
jalm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added a Pro to my setup which includes other Alro cameras. There are three cameras in the front of our house, and i have rules set so that when any of them sense motion they all start recoding. I also have it set so that the camera that triggered the recoding sends a push notification. 

The pro is mounted near our front door which is inside an entry hall. It look at the door on the side and a cross section of the entry hall. I note this as there is not a view from here to moving trees, sidewalks, or the street. About the only the think they moves in this area are people and any leaves that have blown into this area. 

Ever since adding the pro the triggers have been incredibly frequent. I now have the pro at 70% sensitivity on all rules, and no audio triggers. The alerts seem to come in waves. as soon as there is motion (and often when there appears to be no motion) i receive mutiple follow on triggers (e.g., like 3-5 alerts and recording after everything is quite and still) and then the system seems to settle down. 

How can i stop this? i can keep dialing back the sensitivity, but i dont understand what would be tirggering the sensor in the first place. It seems like a bug. 

41 REPLIES 41
sjf17x
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I assume it's best just to hold on to what we have and wait for a possible update rather than go through the hassle of returning?  

Just to update, I had turned my sensitivity down to 10% - woke up to find 360 recordings from 11:30PM-5:30AM...yes, that would be 1 recording every minute.  And a half-dead battery.  That's a change from the past week where I had zero recordings throughout the night, and it was only until I hit the live view button where I started getting the false recordings in waves.  

dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant
sjf17x - is yours Arlo Pro too?
sjf17x
Aspirant
Aspirant

dycrone wrote:
sjf17x - is yours Arlo Pro too?

Yes.. had it for 4 weeks this Sunday.  All firmware is up to date.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, where did you set the sensitivity?  It has to be done in your modes/rules and ensuring that you save the setting.

After checking that, I'd power cycle the base and reinstall the batteries to reset the cameras.  What happens then?  If still happening, put the camera(s) in a dark place with no movement.  If they still go off, there's an obvious issue.  You can possibly swap the system at the store or open a case by contacting support - it's a hardware problem.

dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sensitivity 1% and pointing the camera to the wall still triggeres the issue.

I had issue with one of them then I tried the following test on other 3 of them 2 days ago. 

I did Live stream at night on other 3 and one of them started to experience the same thing.   You can do this test to see if your product(s) is affected.

My bet/hope is that this is a firmware issue with certain Arlo Pros.

Arlo product team is very good so I am certain that they will come up with a solution soon.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Very likely a hardware problem. My cameras were replaced which solved the prob!em. Others have said the same.
smoothoperator
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set my sensitivity down to 45% on our front entrance camera last night. It cut down on the false alerts. that was coming down from 50% though.

Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok Just got my Replacement Arlo Pro from Amazon. I added the Camera to the Base Station and then placed the camera in a cupboard and not a minute later did it start to trigger every 30 seconds.

This is a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT. My other Arlo Pro, that was part of the kit, doesn't exibit this behavior. I can only assume that the Add-on cameras are made/assembled elsewhere or the components are from a different supplier than the kits.

From what I've read on these threads, the problem is only with the Arlo Pro. I should return everything, but like I said the Camera in the front of the house doesn't exibit this wacky behavior.

What is NETGEAR going to do if this problem can't be Fixed with a Firmware Update. These cameras and the kits aren't cheap and its a shame this problem was discovered sooner.

The ball is now in your court Netgear. You've duplicated the problem in your labs so there's no denying it.

dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Chastasam,

Mine was part of the kit so I don't think this is limited to add-on cameras.
We can start to gather the serial numbers to see if there is a correlation.

Did your issue happen during the day?
Mine (2 now) only happened at night.
Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

dycrone:

The original add-on camera started at night only. I returned it to Amazon and they sent a replacement. I got the replacement today just a couple hours ago. the replacement did the same thing and it was during the day, but since i had placed it inside a cupboard and closed the door it was dark, because of the darkness, you could say that, as far as the camera is concerned, it was night. but for you and I it was around 1pm.

im just bummed that the Arlo Pro's are having this problem because i would really like to have another for the back yard, but looks like that wont happen for a while at least.

MotorCity
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same.

I bought the Arlo pro(1cam) w base station. Then bought a pro add-on camera, which is the one having the false triggers.

I guess I'll return and try again, but I'm considering just returning everything and going with another brand. 

I just don't want to keep messing with something that I pay a premium for, that should work properly, out of the box.

Jimmaa22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem seems to have gone for me now, I just tried reseting sensitivity back to 80% after a battery charge and things have been pretty stable for last week now. I can't remember whether the battery completly discharged or having done anything special. I seem to recall deleting my rules and reentering them, maybe that helped?

Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just Curious if this issue has been resolved. I'd Like to get an Additional Arlo Pro, but I don't want to have to return it because of this Sensitivity Issue. I've Already returned the Previous Arlo Pro that I had.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's been a recent firmware update that addresses this.

CKevin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having a very similar problem and I hope some of the other users can help. I moved a Pro camera from an indoor camera to my front porch viewing my driveway after our cars were broken into. Now, frequently but not all the time, the camera keeps triggering over and over again with little motion other than wind blowing dust around. Several mornings I've woken up to over 600 notices in my inbox from the night before. I put the sensitivity all the way back to 25% and am still having the problem. Today it triggered over 300 times between 9 am and 1 pm. You can see the shadow of my flag in the daytime view, but that is unavoidable and I hoped putting sensitivity down to 25% would address that, but apparently not. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Make sure it has the latest firmware. Power cycle the base. If none of that helps, open a case with support.
dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have more than 1 camera?

If yes, change the camera with a different one that doesn't have the same behavior.

If the issue follows the camera, then try different things others suggested then call support.

If the issue stays with the location, there may be something else that may be going on in that location. 

Do you have motion as well as sound or just motion?