Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro sensitivity trigger

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
jalm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added a Pro to my setup which includes other Alro cameras. There are three cameras in the front of our house, and i have rules set so that when any of them sense motion they all start recoding. I also have it set so that the camera that triggered the recoding sends a push notification. 

The pro is mounted near our front door which is inside an entry hall. It look at the door on the side and a cross section of the entry hall. I note this as there is not a view from here to moving trees, sidewalks, or the street. About the only the think they moves in this area are people and any leaves that have blown into this area. 

Ever since adding the pro the triggers have been incredibly frequent. I now have the pro at 70% sensitivity on all rules, and no audio triggers. The alerts seem to come in waves. as soon as there is motion (and often when there appears to be no motion) i receive mutiple follow on triggers (e.g., like 3-5 alerts and recording after everything is quite and still) and then the system seems to settle down. 

How can i stop this? i can keep dialing back the sensitivity, but i dont understand what would be tirggering the sensor in the first place. It seems like a bug. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's been a recent firmware update that addresses this.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
The Pros do have digital, improved motion detection.... they could be a lot more sensitive than your original Arlos. Did you have sound detection on originally? Today they had major notification issues, maybe that attributed? I have a Pro set to 75% on my porch but it doesn't trigger by leafs or wind, only cars now and then and of course people.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You could try to remove and re-add the camera as well. How is the battery holding up?
jalm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have always had sound off, and this issue has been going for the last few days - basicly since i got the extra camera.  I guess i could try reducing the sensitivity further. The battry has been holding up fine. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I noticed some of my dangling Xmas lights were blowing slightly in the wind yesterday and it triggered motion, it was almost unnoticeable but it was definitely that, turning down sensitivity fixed that. But of course you don't want it down too far as it would negate legit movement and defeat the purpose. Move sensitivity down by fives each time and see how it goes. If you get a spot that stops all your false alarms, then test to make sure motion still triggers for people movement
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of what the camera sees.  Maybe a link to the video would be useful (use the sharing icon when viewing the video).

lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

I live in a high wind area.  I used to have motion detection camera that trigger on pixels change and I have to set the sensitivity to really really low to get it to not give false alarms as I have so many plants and flowers outside at the porch.   Now with the Arlo Pro IR, it have not gave out any false alarm yet even at 80% default sensitivity.  I am guessing the moving plants do not have any heat signature?

For OP, maybe it is something you can't see on the video that gives out heat and move?  A bird made a nest?  A bat?  A rat inside the wall?  Christmas lights?

jalm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0007.PNGAttached are two photos, one of the stream of notifications. The somewhat strange thing is this should have fist been triggered by the garage camera (totally out of site from the front door camera). The rest of the notifications where the follow on ones that are the issue. The second is the view from the camera. This placement is the same as a prior gen 1 Arlo which didn't have these issues. 

Ive removed the front door camera and then re added it. I have it removed from the cascading rules so it will only record on this camera if it seems motion. I'll see if that makes a difference. I also left this camera out of the rules for a while and things seemed to work just fine with the other two camera. They both fired ones when there was motion and then didn't repeat. 

jalm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_0020.JPGIt's definitely something with this camera. We tripped it and it fired, and the continued to fire three more times after all motion had stopped. I've now dialed back down the sensitivity to 60%. We'll see how that works. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Can't see the pics yet since they have to be approved. However, the multiple videos from one motion event was fixed for me with camera replacements. Open a case to start the process.
newArloPro_user
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact issue with my Arlo Pro, and I went through 2 returns with Amazon already. The current one would record 2-5 videos after the initial motion detection. It was working fine initially then it started having this issue. Could this be fixed through firmware update or do i need to return it again?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

newArloPro_user,

Can you confirm you still see the same behavior when audio is disabled for the camera?

Consider disabling or reducing audio sensitivity and test to see if you get the same results:

How do I change the audio sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Audio Settings > toggle off speaker and microphone

Any change in behavior recently?

JamesC

newArloPro_user
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still experience the same issue. It seems like this is not an isolated incident. Many people experience the same issue with their Arlo Pro.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update with more information as soon as I can. We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. Just one camera out of 4 does this.
Jimmaa22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue, one of 2 pro cameras is way to sensitive, it drained the battery in one night. Have dialed sensitivity down to 40%, but you need to be pretty active to set it off now.

Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having a problem with the motion sensor. Just got a second arlo pro it worked as expected the first night. It tonight the. MOtion sensor is getting triggered approx. every 30 seconds. I checked a few of the recordings and nothing is there but those pesky gnats flying around.

ive since moved the affected camera indoor and have it about 10" from a wall staring at a storm trooper funky pop thng that doesn't move of course. As I'm writing this I just got another false positive. 

Not gonna bother calling tech support. but support should be aware that it appears a "large" batch may be defective. 

Time to fill out a return on amazon

sjf17x
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue... as well as another.  Have had my Arlo Pro cameras for about 3 weeks.

Issue #1 - False positives. One of my cameras face the front of the house/driveway.  I had over 200 captures one night for seemingly nothing.  I have dialed back the sensitivity to 40% and am still experiencing recordings when nothing seems to be moving other than a nat once in a while. Have already had the battery completely die in that camera.  

Issue #2 - Just started experiencing this... After I re-charged the battery, I get no readings for the entire night... no recordings, nothing.  I get up around 4:45AM and always come downstairs to check the camera's.  I'll go live on the same camera (as mentiond above) to see what's going on.... then bam as soon as I stop viewing live, I start getting recordings every second - again, of seemingly nothing.  It's almost like the camera went into sleep mode and as soon as I view it live, it wakes up and starts with the false positive recording.

Arlo a lot of users are experiencing this... we need a concrete answer as to what we need to do.  I'm almost at the point of giving up and returning the $700 system.  I have no clue if it's going to record when needed or just keep giving false positives.  We need a better answer than "we're looking into it."  For the price tag you're selling this system at, this shouldn't be an issue.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has identified the root cause and is able to reproduce the issue. I will provide an update once I have more information on a fix.

JamesC

dycrone
Aspirant
Aspirant
So far, these are the facts

- Only on Arlo Pro
- Only happens at night - Infrared
- One event or live view triggers it (if it's not triggered, then it may not happen whole night)
- Once it happens, it will send alert even if there is no activity (pointing to a wall with 1% sensitivity will still trigger)

Would love to know if this is a hardware issue or a firmware issue
Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is great news!!! hopefully now that RC has been identified a solution can be tested and sent out for a FW update. as a tech myself id be curious to know what was discovered as the RC (Root Cause).

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Chastasam: we don't know if it's fixable by a firmware update yet, could be hardware related.
smoothoperator
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hope this fixes my issues as well. Just installed yesterday.

MotorCity
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with my patio camera....comes in waves and nothing but an occasional knat.

live view seems to trigger the wave of false alerts.

My driveway camera seems fine.

are you all returning these, hardware issue?

Chastasam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Motorcity:  I have a replacement coming from Amazon supposed to be delivered Friday. I seriously doubt this is something that cant be fixed with a firmware update as I don't have this problem with the Arlo Pro that was included with the Base station. The problem is only with the Add-On camera whic btw is also an Arlo Pro.