Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Simonpwood
Follower
Follower

I can’t afford to run solution batteries drained within 4 days. Base statIon and 3 cameras non more than 5m away from baseball show good Wi-fi signal. What’s going wrong can’t afford. £2500 per year in batteries

55 REPLIES 55
schmulyank
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. I do not use cloud activity zones.

2. Seven to 10 brief recordings of 30 seconds each are made at most each day.

3. No poor camera base connection. In fact, I just put the camera 10 feet, line of sight, from the base, and the iPhone right next to the camera.  I hit the arrow (the "connecting" dialogue appeared and whirled around without connecting.  Signal was three bars. Battery was 83% at the time.  Do you have any other ideas?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@schmulyank wrote:

1. I do not use cloud activity zones.

2. Seven to 10 brief recordings of 30 seconds each are made at most each day.

3. No poor camera base connection. In fact, I just put the camera 10 feet, line of sight, from the base, and the iPhone right next to the camera.  I hit the arrow (the "connecting" dialogue appeared and whirled around without connecting.  Signal was three bars. Battery was 83% at the time.  Do you have any other ideas?

Fast Power Drain is either due to the camera doing a lot of streaming, or the camera needing to continuously resync with the base.  Streaming doesn't seem to be a factor for you, though the iPhone "connecting" issue suggests that resync might still be a cause.

However, some folks have reported connection issues with the iOS app (which likely isn't creating power drain).  So I would suggest looking at the live stream with a PC web browser (https://my.arlo.com) the next time the iphone stalls on connecting.

Another possibility on the power drain is that the battery needs to be replaced.  About how old is it?

Retired_Member
Not applicable
1 of the 3 brand new Pro 3 Cameras battery is dead after working for 4 days at full charge. The other 2 are at 60% charge. Even after plugging in dead camera it will not charge. Any suggestions??
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
1 of the 3 brand new Pro 3 Cameras battery is dead after working for 4 days at full charge. The other 2 are at 60% charge. Even after plugging in dead camera it will not charge. Any suggestions??

Try this: https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

If that fails you could try exchanging the entire system with the seller, or you could contact support.

fallenidol
Tutor
Tutor

Okay, so I had the base station sitting in on a window ledge and I believe what was happening is that the base station was overheating when the mid-day sun hit it and was turning off for a period during the day. Obviously whilst the base station is off the cameras continually try to re-establish a connection back to the base station which uses up the battery more quickly. I've moved the base station slightly (only a few centimetres) so it doesn't catch the direct sun and the problem has gone away.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fallenidol wrote:

I had the base station sitting in on a window ledge and I believe what was happening is that the base station was overheating when the mid-day sun hit it 

Thx for sharing that - it's not a scenario I'd run into before.