Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Flashzoom
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

I am running into this issue with My Arlo Pro. I have a USB drive plugged into my USB 1 input on my Arlo Pro base.

I have formated within Arlo Pro, and set it to backup all videos, and set auto overwrite, basically anytime 

the available space falls under 5mb, it will auto overwrite.  But here is the problem, whenever the space gets to right about

5mb, it will stop recording onto the USB drive.  So the system NEVER overwrite old video files. it just simplely STOPS recording.   I have try it with multiple USB drives, and monitor it over the period of 3 to 6 months. it will NEVER overwrites the older video files. it just STOPS recording period. which is a problem for me. Because I don't know when it will stop, hence I have no way to know if I have videos backuped or not, unless I check the USB on regular basis, and clean it up manually.  That kind of defeats the purpose of having this function.  I have called support twice, 1st time saying I should try to reset my base unit, and try a different USB drive. 2nd time they haven't really give me a solution yet.  

I wanted to see if anyone else have this problem? or this is just Me with a defective unit?

thanks,

Mike

52 REPLIES 52
discenter9999
Aspirant
Aspirant

FWIW: the Arlo techs included my BS in a test of a firmware mod for this issue, I just checked the 8GB USB stick 30 minutes ago and rewrite is still working as I'd expect, so I belief that an update, once ready for general production, will address the reported issue.

Virote328
Star
Star
I have the arlo pro base station. And the usb overriding does not work for me. I discovered this issue in August when I decided to take out the usb and view old content. I found that the last recording was in MAY.. I also found many old empty folders..

I that that maybe because I viewed the usb in May it messed up the usb.. cause the usb is suppose to only delete content that arlo recorded but if it thinks it isn’t then it won’t delete resulting in the bug.. so I reformatted the usb in the base station and observed it fillling up.

I wanted to see if it would reach the max storage and delete some. But it doesn’t. It says full and no longer appears to save to usb.

Usually when someone triggers the cameras, in the arlo app, the usb icon turns yellow to indicate it is saving to usb.. but now that it is full it doesn’t do that..

Please fix!!

Please allow the tollerace to be higher than 5 MB! Some recordings are larger than that!
tsmcnet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo will not overwrite USB stick because of the 5MB free space requirements

@Virote328 wrote:
I have the arlo pro base station. And the usb overriding does not work for me. I discovered this issue in August when I decided to take out the usb and view old content. I found that the last recording was in MAY.. I also found many old empty folders..

I that that maybe because I viewed the usb in May it messed up the usb.. cause the usb is suppose to only delete content that arlo recorded but if it thinks it isn’t then it won’t delete resulting in the bug.. so I reformatted the usb in the base station and observed it fillling up.

I wanted to see if it would reach the max storage and delete some. But it doesn’t. It says full and no longer appears to save to usb.

Usually when someone triggers the cameras, in the arlo app, the usb icon turns yellow to indicate it is saving to usb.. but now that it is full it doesn’t do that..

Please fix!!

Please allow the tollerace to be higher than 5 MB! Some recordings are larger than that!

. My unit reports a full USB drive but computer shows 10.4MB free space.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved with the latest Arlo Pro base station firmware. You can check the release notes here to be sure you have the latest version: Arlo Base Station - 1.11.9.0_26520 - 14th October 2018

JamesC

Ronsteele73
Aspirant
Aspirant
This has not resolved for me. Firmware seems to be updated. When drive gets full, it stops recording. Also compared to last firmware, the “safely eject” and “ format” button disappear causing me to do a reboot in order to make those buttons reappear.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Ronsteele73,

What version firmware is the base station and camera running currently?

Ronsteele73
Aspirant
Aspirant
1.12.0.0_27099
Vmb4000r3

That’s for the base station
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Ronsteele73,

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

This issue is not resolved for me either. Once the drive is full, it quits recording and does not overwrite.

HW Version VMB4000r3
Firmware 1.12.0.0_27099

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Notrab,

Have you tried to format another USB Drive through the base station? What firmware is the Base station running?

Ajapona
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem. The base station will not auto overwrite. I use the Arlo pro in my shop and my 180GB hard drive gets full in almost every 2weeks. I have tried all I can but it will not overwrite.
Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, and I added the FW above. It's the latest version.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Ajapona,

What trouble shooting steps have you preformed? What firmware is the base station & Cameras running?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Notrab,

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

Ronsteele73
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have not received any further communications regarding this issue. I have also replied to PM
In addition I have included photos of the issue
discenter9999
Aspirant
Aspirant

back on 11/8 when this thread was revived, i pulled my 8GB san disk cruzer and checked the dates. overwrite is working for my BS VMB4000r3, Firmware 1.12.0.0_27099

unhappyarlouser
Tutor
Tutor
same problem, still. every time I look at the usb status it is near full and Disabled even though it is configured to overwrite!!
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Same for me. Once the usb stick fills, recordings stop, no overwriting.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RChobby,

@unhappyarlouser

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue?

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
:
No, I’ve not contacted CS.
I’m still trying to recover from the last times I called CS. Over several phone calls on multiple days, many hours on hold, several email follow ups, for geofencing problems and no solution. When I get a few days vacation perhaps I might try again, but probably not.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RChobby,

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

unhappyarlouser
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I did get a case opened. thanks.

It looks like my 16gb usb memory is nearly full with videos dating back to April.  It looks like it was still getting new recordings up to just a few minutes ago, but the app was showing the USB Memory status as Disabled.  there is an app bug in there somewhere.

The USB memory has over 4000 videos. The strange thing is that June, July, September each only have ONE video (obviously that is wrong) and nothing for August. So I did have a real interruption somehow, or the algorithm that chooses what to overwrite went off the rails.

Mtam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also having the issue of not overwriting. Have latest firmware.

VMB4000r3
1.12.0.0_27099
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Mtam,

Just to make sure, after you connected your local storage driver, have you toggled on the "Automatic Overwrite" feature? You can find this by going to Settings > My Devices > Choose your Base Station > Local Storage. Otherwise, also try using a different local storage driver and see if it still persists.

Mtam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did toggle the "Automatic Overwrite" feature several times with no help. I will try another USB drive and report back. Thanks.