Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Every morning for the last week my Android app informs me the base station needs to be updated. Each of the five cameras is disabled and displays a button to Update. If I press one, the app exits.

If I go into the base station settings I can update from there, but it never seems to. After a few minutes the message goes away.

Thoughts on how to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

My problem is now resolved, hope everyone else’s also. It had to do with base stations having participated in Firmware Field Trials (sometime earlier) and running on a specific firmware version.

Thanks to Shayne for helping us with this issue.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have seen this too.... 2 days in a row but not today.

In settings, go to base and toggle to allow the update... it should do it overnight.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

I've gone into the settings for both the web app and the Android app, and under the base station settings, I see no "toggle" for allowing updates to firmware. It's telling me there are no firmware updates. Here is my version: 

Screenshot_20201024-183401 (3).png

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok same version...

when you see the update message on the screen.

It’s. Settings/ devices / base / device info/ then should be an orange triangle which says firmware update...click on that then click on ok to update

Morse is faster than texting!
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for responding again.

Regarding your suggestion for the update, that is the process I have been following every morning for the past several days.

The app shows "Firmware updating" for about minutes, the lights flash a bit on the base station, then the app appears to go back to normal. Next morning, I have to do it all over again. The firmware has shown the same version the last 5 days...

I THINK my version is the latest. If it is, something is triggering an update command. If it's not the latest version, then the update is obviously not working.

Annoying. I may have to delete the app and reinstall at this point...

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same here....

have two Pro Stations and they alternate (each day) prompting for the update, then......nothing happens and same process next day over again.

Strange thing is, base stations have different firmware version showing, probably one must’ve updated already while the other hasn’t.

Clemens63
Guide
Guide

Similar problem here. For the last 4-5 days, I've received notice that the base station firmware needs updated.  Either on the notice (which initially appears on the camera views) or via the Device/Settings section, I've selected to update firmware.  Nothing happens, and it remains on the old version.  So then in a future start-up, I get the message again.  Frustrating, as despite the firmware upgrade, it then works for a day and then goes back to an issue the next day.

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

That's exactly how it's working for me. I even tried to "add" another camera, which forces the base station to look for updates. It reported it found an update, started "installing", then 5 seconds later was done.  Same version.

It's interesting it's not a universal camera. I wonder if it's the older models only like mine...vmb4000r3.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Ok Arlo enough of this already, it’s been over two weeks now this is going on. Is it possible to screw up every other firmware upgrade this way, who/which department is responsible for this and why is it being ignored ?

Something new every day, they never stop surprising us.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Paul_FCCL

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue with your base station. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary
Do Arlo developers or customer support monitor this community?
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary
Shane, how do we contact support if not under warranty?
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ShayneS :

thanks for providing the case #’s, but after two attempts (got disconnected during first chat session) nothing worked.

Support people must be going over a script of preset instructions to help with a failed firmware update, asked to go through the basic steps, but this is different. They asked for a screenshot of the error message, while there’s no error message, after you explain that over it becomes frustrating.

Last, I was asked to reset the base station......re-add all cameras and of course re-do all arming modes. Chat session disconnected again.

Did all that........(stupid of me) and we’re back to the start of the vicious loop again.

How else can this problem be brought up to the technicians who can actually fix this problem?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Boss281 

Were you able to resolve this problem?

I still haven’t, finally gave up after so many attempts with support. I’ll just deal with the daily annoyance caused by the update prompt, far less aggravating than going through all this nonsense.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @Paul_FCCL

Do you happen to have the most recent active case number I can review?

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary
No, I haven't. It's five minutes of annoyance every morning. I am curious: what base station version do you have?
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ShayneS :

last case #42035376 got disconnected from that as well. Last question I was asked was to perform a speed test of my internet (i do have a high speed 150 Mbps and test result came to 199 Mbps) and upload screenshot, just as I got disconnected. Maybe my internet speed is too fast? 🙂

Attached is the screenshot.

it appears to me they’re on the wrong track if that’s the type of question they ask.

Thanks for your help.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Boss281 :

my current base station firmware is # 1.16.3.3_3572_b349f52 and the one trying to update to is # 1.16.4.0_3616 which barely flashes its info when attempting to update.

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary
Yeah, same version issue. Is this the vmb4000 base station?
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Boss281 :

yes the VMB4000r3

i have two of them, the other one has a completely different firmware version and it hasn’t been trying to update at all.

KKS-Col
Luminary
Luminary

I read through this thread this morning (10-31) and I, too, have been experiencing the same thing. I was hoping someone had an answer, but obviously not.

base firmware is 1.16.3.3_3572_b349f52 and the cameras firmware is 1.125.15.0_35_1191

I click on the response to update but nothing happens. I look at Device Info, Firmware and it states “No Updates Available”.

I am using an Apple iPad, iOS 13.7

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Just a note I've started receiving the email suggesting I mark this solved. As of yet is it NOT solved (11/2/2020)

KKS-Col
Luminary
Luminary

Not solved. It still asks for updates every morning.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I have been seeing  it too for a number of days.

Allowing the update or power cycling the base does not solve the issue.

Seems to possibly be isolated to anyone who are field trial users. 

Arlo are aware of it.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

My problem is now resolved, hope everyone else’s also. It had to do with base stations having participated in Firmware Field Trials (sometime earlier) and running on a specific firmware version.

Thanks to Shayne for helping us with this issue.