Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Bigtrev
Tutor
Tutor

I have 3 pro 4s and a hub. 

Since my intro subscription ran out I intend on utilizing a USB as I initially intended. I have the USB set up and it shows that storage space IS being used up. If I access the USB on my CPU the information shows up but not in library when connected to my wifi. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I've spent about 8 hours on this problem solving and forum tralling with no avail. Help, I guess?

Screenshot_20220907-210553.png

Screenshot_20220907-211227.png

Screenshot_20220907-211218.png

125 REPLIES 125
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor

I'm getting error "Videos stored on SmartHub are not available. Please check your connection settings". 

It says Learn More, but clicking on this just goes to the Arlo home page. This error has shown up in other conversations on this page and I have read ALL of them and done all suggestions. This error has been ongoing for a couple months. 

I have tried:-

• Turning on and off and signing in and out of the account/app
  • Removing and re-adding the cameras to the App. 
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the app on 3 difference devices and trying logging in on different devices. 
  • Checked for updates. 
  • I have a modem and a Deco Mesh wi-fi booster - therefore 2 networks in the house. I have made sure my phone and the Arlo hub are on the same network - I've tried both networks. I have rebooted both modems
  • I have checked to SD card and the footage is being downloaded and is without fault onto the card
  • The cameras are working without issue.

I dont know what else to do! 

Please advise

Dannybear
Master
Master
Is your system set to record to the cloud or local storage. Is the library set for viewing the cloud or local storage?
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your question. Sorry I didn't clarify this. 

It set to record locally. We can only watch the videos - when they were working - when we were home on our home network. We dont pay for the subscription and I haven't set up port forwarding. 

The library is set to local storage as well. 

Thanks in advance for any response. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
What camera resolution are you recording, not sure if the app can play 2 or 4K recordings if hevc is not supported.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062189/Which-devices-are-supported-for-HEVC-4K-or-2K-playback
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor
I’m using iPhone Pro Max 12, which is up to date and the newest version of the Arlo app.
Under video settings in each camera local 4K streaming is off.
Is this what you mean ?

Dannybear
Master
Master
I was hopeful it was something like this.

Another problem is lack of permissions for access of your network in the arlo app phone settings.
See

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Direct-Storage-Access-Stopped-Working/m-p/1853917#M81838
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor

I checked the app and the Local Network is on. I noticed that Background App Refresh was grey out, so I checked fixed those settings as well. Still the same. 

I really appreciate you getting back to me with ideas... hopefully one will work soon!

Dannybear
Master
Master
I have run out of ideas, you don’t have VPN installed?
You should bite the bullet and start a subscription to get arlo support via the app. You can always drop it once the issue gets resolved. If it’s arlo firmware related it may take 6 months though.
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor
Ok. Thanks for your help. I appreciate you trying. I’ll think about the subscription.
AbcSecurity
Initiate
Initiate
It’s embarrassing that this is marked as the solution. If that’s all Arlo offers, the real solution is to ditch Arlo and move to one of its many competitors.
Adamdanw
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I totally agree. I didn't want this marked as a solution as I was hoping others could offer advice, but once its a solution it was closed off.  I spent a bit more time reading chats like this about the same error and trying suggestions, before I purchased a subscription (as I didn't want to do this). As a last ditch effort, I completely un-installed and unplugged everything. Started like it was new out of the box. Put Base Station online first, ran firmware updates etc then re-installed each camera in turn. It turned out to be SUPER important to turn on the base station THEN plug it into the Ethernet Cable - as per the instructions. I think because it was all set-up, I was simply turning the base station off or re-setting it, leaving it all plugged it. Doing it this way changed everything and it all started to work again! Hope my very lengthy struggle helps someone!

Manny59
Tutor
Tutor

Hi ,

I have the same issue and will attempt to carry out a full reset and see if that resolves the issue.

If I had my way again Arlo would not have been the system I would have selected!1

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

I'm a "plus one" for this issue. It only started a couple of weeks ago, and now I can't access anything on my VMB5000r3. I've tried everything except for the full uninstall/reinstall as this poster did in the end.

The interesting thing is that my Pro camera successfully saves to the Cloud, even thogh I've my configuration set for local storage. However, any video from my Ultra cameras isn't saved anywhere (I don't have a subscription). Something has definitely changed on the back-end.

Very frustrating.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@punchbuggy wrote:

The interesting thing is that my Pro camera successfully saves to the Cloud, even thogh I've my configuration set for local storage.

This is expected, as the Pro came with 7-day cloud storage.  Though you can configure local storage, there is no way to turn off cloud storage.

@punchbuggy wrote:

However, any video from my Ultra cameras isn't saved anywhere (I don't have a subscription).

Have you removed the SD card and connected it to the PC?  Often this problem is about accessing the videos (they are still being stored).

FWIW, I see this issue on one of my VMB5000s, but not the other.  I do have a subscription.

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

Thanks Stephen (Hmm, I remember you from my EVA9000 days..)

I'll correct my comment on the Ultra cameras not saving anywhere, as I see storage usage on the internal SD card growing. Problem is I suddenly can't access it from my local network, whereas I could up until a few weeks ago.

So, were you confirming that you have this error on one of your VMB5000 basestations also? Did it start appearing recently also? As a moderator, have you reported this formally yourself?

Djzgfx
Guide
Guide
You’re not alone. I recently started having this issue out of nowhere. I’ve tried everything except a full reinstallation as if it was brand new from the factory.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@punchbuggy wrote:

Thanks Stephen (Hmm, I remember you from my EVA9000 days..)

Long time ago...  FWIW, I have one still in service.

@punchbuggy wrote:

So, were you confirming that you have this error on one of your VMB5000 basestations also? Did it start appearing recently also? As a moderator, have you reported this formally yourself?

Superusers don't have mod privileges here. 

Not sure at this point when the problem started, but it has been months at least.

I have reported it, and was recently told it still is in Arlo's queue.  They are assuming my problem is a bit different, since it only affects one base (and both have the same settings).  Which would make it a lower priority I guess. Since I do have a subscription, it's not something I really need.  

AbcSecurity
Initiate
Initiate
My update is similar to adamdanw’s. Big thank you Adam for underscoring the importance of plugging the Ethernet cable first to the smart hub and then the power cable. I removed all the devices from my account, reset the smarthub, and then added the devices back one by one. Now I can see the recordings in the library that were recorded from local storage.

Something also to point out is that when you are looking for the local recordings in the library section of the app, click on the top link to “cloud” in the Library section. From there a dropdown menu opens and the option to select local storage becomes visible. It’s not very obvious to do that, and maybe some users are missing it.

Good luck everyone!
Manny59
Tutor
Tutor

Ok he we go again , had it all working after some tedious now forgotten processes , it last 1 month max before it reverted to the old message of unable to access stored videos. Follow Adam’s advice and reset and updated  everything to no avail. I don’t have subscription, get offered 99c per camera by Arlo but it only lasts for 3 months before going to $14.99. 
I can feel a Eufy coming on. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bigtrev wrote:

Since my intro subscription ran out I intend on utilizing a USB as I initially intended. I have the USB set up and it shows that storage space IS being used up. If I access the USB on my CPU the information shows up but not in library when connected to my wifi. 

FWIW, I generally suggest enabling direct access when the trial is still active.  

When you select the library in the app, are you seeing "Cloud" at the top center of the screen?  Try pressing on that, and see if you get an option to select the base station.  Select it, and let us know if you can access the recordings (or if you get an error).

Bigtrev
Tutor
Tutor

Screenshot_20220908-073108.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any chance you're on Android 13? That seems to be the issue - I have the same result.

Bigtrev
Tutor
Tutor

Though I do have a Google Pixel 5 which runs android, I haven't found any information that's that is a known issue? Or have I missed something. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bigtrev wrote:

Though I do have a Google Pixel 5 which runs android, I haven't found any information that's that is a known issue? Or have I missed something. 

Android 13 launched in mid-August, and there are some Arlo app issues that haven't yet been fixed.

What version of Android is your Pixel 5 running?

Discussion stats