Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
LexCo61
Guide
Guide

Is anyone using the Arlo Pro 4 (or even Pro 3) with an Arlo Total Security Mount (VMA5100-10000S)?  My Arlo Pro 4 is mounted fairly low, and with the magnetic mount it could easily be removed.  I bought a Total Security Mount thinking this would provide some added protection, but for me it just doesn't fit well.  I tested it before mounting it on a wall.  I can insert the camera in it easily enough, but I can't release it (using a small hex key that comes with it).  It barely releases from the housing and not nearly enough to grab the camera and remove it.  I can only get it out by shaking it, violently.  This almost, sort of works if I'm sitting in my living room, but if this was mounted to a wall, the only way I'd be able to remove it from the housing is to take the entire housing down, and even then I'd still have to shake it very aggressively.  That's simply not a workable solution.  I've had an open case with Arlo support since early December, and I've been assured it's been escalated to engineering, but I get zero response from Arlo about it. I've even sent a video of me trying to remove it from the mount housing and asking if that's normal, but no reply from Arlo.  Meanwhile the mount sits in a box in my house because it's effectively useless outside.   Arlo did previously send me a replacement mount, but it behaves the same way.  

So I was just wondering if there are others out there that have tried this combination and if it's been a successful approach for you.  

46 REPLIES 46
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Getting the camera out of the housing can be an issue due to the weather seal. I don't have the total security mount but the regular cases can do the same thing. Sometimes I can use fingernails to pry the camera out but I've also resorted to shaking the camera out. One thing I haven't tried is a light coating of a suitable grease on the seal or case to see if that would help.

LexCo61
Guide
Guide

That's a valid point regarding the normal housing, but at least with the normal housing it releases enough to get your fingernails in.  My camera won't release far enough in either of the Total Security Mount housings to even get my fingernails in to try to pry it out.

mwlg
Guide
Guide

The Arlo Pro 4 security mount is completely useless.  The Arlo designer that developed this product needs to go back to school.  Problems include.

1. The provided Allen wrench is too short and the handle should have a screwdriver like round handle of a larger size so we can actually turn the locking screw comfortably.
  2. Security mount is a misnomer.  Anyone with the correct size Allen wrench can steal your camera in a less than minute.  After trying to use the useless tool provided I went to my local Lowes and purchased an Allen wrench which is actually usable.
  3. The baseplate of the Security mount is secured with 3 self tapping screws.  I can easily remove the entire unit with camera using a putty knife.

There are other problems but I don't want to waste my time when no one will do anything.  Basically the Arlo Security mount is a $50.00 hunk of useless plastic.  When one is paying $210.00 each for an Arlo 4 the security mount should be secure. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mwlg,

This feedback is noted. I will pass this along to the development team.

JamesC

pedigal
Aspirant
Aspirant

How will we know if the development team makes changes based on customer complaints?  I was all set to buy the Pro 4 but stopped in my tracks reading about this ongoing security mount issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pedigal wrote:

I was all set to buy the Pro 4 but stopped in my tracks reading about this ongoing security mount issue.

The Pro 4 uses a standard thread, so there are many inexpensive third-party mounts what will work.  So if you aren't happy with the security mount, there are lots of other options.

mwlg
Guide
Guide

Having alternate mounts from 3rd party vendors does not excuse Arlo from selling a defective security mount.  Arlo sold me a product which is defective.  They should accept that their product is not fit for purpose and either refund the money people have spent or manufacture a product that works.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mwlg wrote:

Having alternate mounts from 3rd party vendors does not excuse Arlo from selling a defective security mount.

My reply was directed to @LexCo61 - who wouldn't normally get a security mount with his camera purchase.

I was not attempting to minimize your feedback.

J48CT
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the Total Security Mount VMA 5100-10000S is effectively useless.  Turning the notched base of the mount counterclockwise easily removes the camera in three turns, leaving the base which cannot be removed without destroying it.  (The base, which is screwed into the wall, has an internal plastic ratchet that prevents the top of the base from being turned counter-clockwise and removed once it has been clicked in).  A  complete waste.

GB1019
Initiate
Initiate

Hey how about the fact that ordering the 2 pack of Pro 4 cameras only contains ONE screw mount and one magnetic mount, which the latter is completely pointless using logic. 

I'm miffed that this is how they sell these packages. Do you ever buy a pair of shoes and only get a single lace to go with your right, or left foot? What about the other foot? OH, you have to go back and buy another lace? Seriously Arlo? So irritating.  How does this make any sense? (off soapbox)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

On the plus side though, the magnetic mount is great for magnetizing screwdrivers.  Just stroke the screwdriver lovingly from handle to tip repeatedly with the Arlo magnetic security camera mount for a minute or so, and screws will 'stick' to the end of the screwdriver.  Very handy.  Thanks Arlo 👍

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GB1019 wrote:

one magnetic mount, which the latter is completely pointless using logic. 

Sorry, I'm not following your logic on this.  FWIW, I use both mount types myself (actually about half of eacy type).

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote:

@GB1019 wrote:

one magnetic mount, which the latter is completely pointless using logic. 

Sorry, I'm not following your logic on this.  FWIW, I use both mount types myself (actually about half of eacy type).

The concept of a magnetic mount for a security camera, with the camera mounted lower than 10ft or so off the ground (as per Arlo instructions) mainly appeals in countries where crime levels are extremely low or where everyone has guns and laws are written in such a way as to make thieving a dangerous activity.  In Ireland or the UK, the idea of mounting a security camera on a magnet within range of a thrown rock or a person holding a stick is laughable, at least in and around a city.  It's similar to the way a pickup truck with an open flat bed only works in the US and a few other countries.  Very few pickup trucks are sold in Britain or Ireland because anything you leave unattended in the bed of the truck would just get stolen.  Here, a camera on a magnet outdoors just seems silly.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote: Here, a camera on a magnet outdoors just seems silly.

Obviously there is a risk of theft.  But a similar risk is there with the normal screw mount - it takes just a few more seconds to take it down.  Though that does assume you can reach it.  

FWIW, I agree that a pack with one total security mount + one magnetic mount would be strange.  I haven't seen a mix like that.

Note @GB1019 didn't say what 2-pack he purchased.  The packs I've received don't include the total security mount - but often do include a mix of magnetic and ordinary screw mounts.  So I  assumed that is what he purchased (despite the title of the overall thread).  

GB1019
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased the standard 2 pack from Arlo's website. When speaking with the support chat, they stated that it was standard to only include 1 of each types of mounts.  From a product standpoint, this makes absolutely no sense to me. @StephenB if you're stating that this was provided in error, then I need to contact support again as I was given wrong information. Thanks for your insight! Have a good day.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GB1019 wrote:

@StephenB if you're stating that this was provided in error, then I need to contact support again

No, I'm not saying that.

It IS usual for Arlo to mix magnetic and normal screw mounts in their bundles.

But the main thrust of this topic is the "Total Security Mount" - which is NOT the normal screw mount.  I haven't seen a bundle that includes one Total Security Mount, and one magnet mount.

Did you get a bundle that combined the total security mount with a magnetic mount?

mwlg
Guide
Guide
This thread seems to no longer be about my original comment. That being the complete lack of security of the secure mount. That is still the case.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mwlg wrote:
This thread seems to no longer be about my original comment. That being the complete lack of security of the secure mount. That is still the case.

I agree it's moved in a tangential direction.  @JamesC did pass along your feedback to the development team, which is good.  Still, it sounds like it needs to be completely re-engineered - not sure if we will see that happen or not.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote: Here, a camera on a magnet outdoors just seems silly.

Obviously there is a risk of theft.  But a similar risk is there with the normal screw mount - it takes just a few more seconds to take it down.  Though that does assume you can reach it.  

Agreed - the screw mount isn't much better which is why people want and buy the 'total security' mount.  In my case I bought 3rd party screw mounts which are a little more solid in terms or resisting small impacts from rocks (they're much they same but they 'lock' the angle of the camera more solidly than the original screw mount), mounted some cameras much higher then recommended, and tried to mount cameras such that they were hard to see from a distance.

When I was planning my Arlo purchase I searched for mounts or enclosures that would help protect the cameras, even going so far as to google cheap bird houses that I might be able to modify to protect and hide cameras, but didn't find any options that would suit my purpose.

I am getting off-topic but I suppose my point is that the 'one size fits all' approach taken by Arlo is not ideal.  Including one magnetic and one screw mount in a 2 camera pack, and selling an expensive 'total security' mount that is (apparently) unusable and neither prevents theft in any meaningful way nor protects the camera from damage, perhaps highlights a need for an 'accessories team' or similar.  Arlo camera hardware is, broadly speaking, very good, but a range of accessories to suit a range of climates and security circumstances would be extremely useful.  Quality accessories at a good price should be viewed as a way to promote camera sales and raise customer satisfaction, not an afterthought.

I, for one, am still looking for a convenient way to keep rain off the lens on my Pro 3 Floodlight.  Is the camera waterproof? Yes.  Does the camera work well in a city where it rains at least once in the course of over 250 days per year? No. Wet lens. Camera no see. Blurry burglars. No security. I need a well-fitting piece of plastic to keep rain off the lens please, and others need better ways to keep their cameras safe from vandalism and theft.  Those who need a way to prevent their cameras from being stolen need better options, designed by people who actually understand crime and security.

If Arlo is a toy company they should state that clearly on the website and refrain from giving potential customers the impression that they sell quality security products.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
I suppose my point is that the 'one size fits all' approach taken by Arlo is not ideal.  Including one magnetic and one screw mount in a 2 camera pack, and selling an expensive 'total security' mount that is (apparently) unusable and neither prevents theft in any meaningful way nor protects the camera from damage, perhaps highlights a need for an 'accessories team' or similar.  Arlo camera hardware is, broadly speaking, very good, but a range of accessories to suit a range of climates and security circumstances would be extremely useful.  Quality accessories at a good price should be viewed as a way to promote camera sales and raise customer satisfaction, not an afterthought.

Yeah, I agree there is a missed opportunity here.  More options for outdoor power would also be good (including hard-wiring to the mains).

@Retired_Member wrote:

I, for one, am still looking for a convenient way to keep rain off the lens on my Pro 3 Floodlight.  Is the camera waterproof? Yes.  Does the camera work well in a city where it rains at least once in the course of over 250 days per year? No.

RainX (or a similar product) on the lens helps some.  But likely not enough in your climate.  This is particularly challenging with the floodlight, due to its form factor.

Having an alternative mount with an integrated weather shield might work (though wind-driven rain would still be a challenge).

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RainX (or a similar product) on the lens helps some.  But likely not enough in your climate.  This is particularly challenging with the floodlight, due to its form factor.

Having an alternative mount with an integrated weather shield might work (though wind-driven rain would still be a challenge).

Many thanks for the suggestion re. RainX - I'll look into it.  Wind-driven rain is indeed a problem though there's little that can be done about that with any security camera.  The shape of the Pro 3 Floodlight is the problem as it's too big to be sheltered under the eaves of most houses here.  There are good 3rd party solutions to shelter other camera models but not the Pro 3 Floodlight.  It's bizarre to me that Arlo, with their European headquarters based in Ireland, sell products that are so ill-suited to real world usage in Ireland.  'Lets sell security cameras that you stick to a magnet and lets make it extremely difficult to keep them dry!'.  Bizarre.

XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

Yes our mount has been successful (after fixing a manufacturing fault which rendered it useless!). The "key" fits nicely to remove the camera and also the mount.

It's pretty obvious that the only security offered is for the opportunist burglar with a hex fitting. Something proprietary would have helped.

RichardGUSA1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm still confused here.  I am in the middle of trying to install the Arlo Total Security Mount so that my $300 Arlo cameras are secure but the problem is the ball adjustment to set the angle of the camera just screws off.  How is this a security solution at all?  Am I missing something or is this completely misleading advertising for this product?  It looks to me there is an internal screw missing that would stop it from turning but the screw is not in the packaging or the instructions.  This isn't something that should be provided as feedback to development, this is a please explain to Arlo, can we get someone from Arlo to actually respond to this?  I purchased 4 cameras and 4 mounts bsed on the advertised secure mount.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RichardGUSA1,

For more information on how to install the security mount, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062332/How-do-I-use-my-Arlo-Total-Security-Mount

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation