Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification by Oct 31st, 2020 to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Unable to enable "Record Locally" in the Storage Setting ( iOS App)

Reply
Discussion stats
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nigel-T wrote:

It doesn't give me the option with that error message - won't even allow you to turn on local storage.

 


Often thumb drives have two partitions - a small one which holds some optional security software, and a large one which is for main storage.  That small one can get the base station confused.

 

Try connecting the thumb drive to a Windows PC, and then open the Windows Disk Manager ("create and format hard disk partitions").  Click on every segment shown for the thumb drive, and then select "delete".  After that, create a new partition (Windows tends to call them volumes), and reformat it as fat32.

Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Hi , thanks to Nigel-T who wrote that it works with a regular HHD. I tried with an old 2.5 HDD and yes, it works. The base saw the disk and I 've formatted using the interface. It's a very good news.

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor
I had format both regular HDD and SSD using PC as well as via smart hub, but to no avail. Please help.
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Hello, I use an old 2.5 HDD with USB connection and I plugged it to the the base. I used the IOS application. The disk has been recognized as a recording device and I 've formatted it directly by the application and now it's working. It's all I can say. 

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Arlo hubs seem to be picky about the USB drives they accept, especially external hard drives.

 

As @StephenB says, partitioning can be a killer. But that is just a part of it, especially when trying to use drives that need external power.

 

It would help to have a database of drives that are known to work with Arlo hubs. Likewise, reports here of issues could use the same information.

 


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't own a Windows PC, though Mac's Disk Utility does pretty much the same thing. I already looked with that to see if there was anything weird like that going on and it only shows one volume in there.

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

any update on the issue of SD card <16GB error?

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same for me, re-partitioned and re-formated the USB drive using the Mac Disk Utility, tried different formats (FAT32, etc.), could not get it to work 😞

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Arlo hubs seem to be picky about the USB drives they accept, especially external hard drives.

 

It would help to have a database of drives that are known to work with Arlo hubs. Likewise, reports here of issues could use the same information.

 


I’m new to Arlo, but it seems to me accessing a properly formatted USB drive shouldn’t be an issue in 2020. Plus the comments from folks whose drives were working but now are not seems to indicate an Arlo bug...

Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Nigel-T wrote:

I’m new to Arlo, but it seems to me accessing a properly formatted USB drive shouldn’t be an issue in 2020. Plus the comments from folks whose drives were working but now are not seems to indicate an Arlo bug...


True, but, as explained, one person's "properly formatted" may not be the same as everyone's.

 

A Sandisk 256GB seems to me to be an obvious one to support. Sandisk must be one of the most widely used chips around? Is this a USB drive or a card in a holder?

 

Did you ever tell us which version of the app you are using? Or what happens with the browser interface?

 

Can you also dive on there and see it you can spot the firmware version on your VMB4540?

 

My  VMB4540  is playing up something chronic. Starting with the above bit.

 

 


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Nigel-T wrote:

I’m new to Arlo, but it seems to me accessing a properly formatted USB drive shouldn’t be an issue in 2020. Plus the comments from folks whose drives were working but now are not seems to indicate an Arlo bug...


True, but, as explained, one person's "properly formatted" may not be the same as everyone's.

 

A Sandisk 256GB seems to me to be an obvious one to support. Sandisk must be one of the most widely used chips around? Is this a USB drive or a card in a holder?

 

Did you ever tell us which version of the app you are using? Or what happens with the browser interface?

 

Can you also dive on there and see it you can spot the firmware version on your VMB4540?

 

My  VMB4540  is playing up something chronic. Starting with the above bit.

 

 


A bit more digging on the disk/format side, and it appears there is a fixed hardware partition - Mac disk utility shows the usable space in partition 2 (the FAT32 volume), but you can't get at partition 1. I suspect it's something to do with the disk controller (Sandisk Extreme 500 - SSD that's rugged(ish) and about 30% smaller than a 2.5HDD).

 

I've tried the iOS and browser manager with the hub, same result, though the browser does show almost 200MB of used space not visible in iOS. The format option is not available either.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 10.28.59.jpg

 

Firmware is the latest AFAIK: 1.16.1.3_495_1a608c1

 

I'm able to format regular HDDs on the hub, no problem. Still sounds like an Arlo bug though - when something works (as others here say) and the only thing that changes is the firmware - then things go wrong - it is perfectly reasonable to suspect the firmware...

 

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Hello,

After reading the last messages, I 've tried with success to use a old 2.5 western digital external disk. But as I read a message about formatting , I check the USB key used before the firmware change and I saw two partitions on it. Under Windows10 I remove the EFI partition (see on internet for that using a disk manager or diskpart with caution) and format the key again. Now I've got only one partition and it's working again ...  Miraculous. I hope this can Help

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ChrisP33 wrote:

 

But as I read a message about formatting , I check the USB key used before the firmware change and I saw two partitions on it. Under Windows10 I remove the EFI partition (see on internet for that using a disk manager or diskpart with caution) and format the key again. Now I've got only one partition and it's working again ...


Thanks for confirming that. It is a well known "feature" of USB drives. Arlo dislikes partitioned USBs.

 

The same issue also affects other USB functions, such as ReadySHARE on Netgear routers. They also gag at partitions. Can Ethernet NAS work with partitioned USBs?

 

Quite why people expect Arlo to fix issues with is USB drives is beyond me.  But it is always easier to blame someone else than to fix stuff so that it is compatible with Arlo.


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Hi Michael. I confirm with a flash disk, only one partition must be on the disk and it's working now. But I disagree with you about Arlo. All was working before the update of March 31th. I like their system and the IOS App, it's simple to set up following the instructions but... the fact the disk must have only one partition is not as so simple you want to say for everyone. We are not all computer engineer. If I plug a disk or a USB key in the base, this should work. Don't forget that the format option is present in the app so it must format the disk with the good option. 

 

For everyone, you must format your device with only one partition (remove the EFI partition in case ). I did it using W10 under virtual machine 😞 (I'm a Mac user) and the disk management to be sure only one partition is on the disk. I format in ex-Fat (no more simple format in Fat32 under W10) and it working with all the devices I've tried. 

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Quite why people expect Arlo to fix issues with is USB drives is beyond me.  But it is always easier to blame someone else than to fix stuff so that it is compatible with Arlo.


You shouldn't take things personally on Arlo's behalf...  I saw it was working before the update in other posts, and after the firmware change it stopped. I've been in IT a long time and basic troubleshooting is to begin with what just changed. I'm new to Arlo and this issue aside, I'm liking the experience so far.

 

Good to know about the single partition thing, thank you.

 

Off to investigate hidden partition removal now... they are there for a reason (which differ by device) so will report back if find out anything new 😁

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nigel-T wrote:

Off to investigate hidden partition removal now... they are there for a reason (which differ by device) so will report back if find out anything new 😁


Many drives include some built encryption software that can secure some (or all) of the user's files.  That's stored on a small partition.  This has been the case for some years now. 

 

I've never had a problem deleting that partition and reformatting the thumb drive (or USB hard drive/SSD).

 

On the main point, it would make sense for Arlo to change the base firmware to detect the largest partition on the drive, and just use that.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same error others are -  local storage error sd card < 16gb

Please correct this or provide no charge cloud storage.  I've tried 4 different hard drives, all between 500 GB and 2 TB.

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

It's been a few months, any update on this issue?

Thanks,

Christophe 

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor
Have had my Arlo 3 for 6 weeks and just realized it was never recording local videos. Same error as these folks reference. My usb drive is 5TB and brand new......not a happy camper, hope there is a firmware update for this.
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
My usb drive is 5TB and brand new......not a happy camper, hope there is a firmware update for this.

 


Way larger than any drive capacity I have seen reported here. Most experience has been with 256 GB and smaller. Sometimes people stretch it, but that far?

 

A 5TB drive would probably be big enough to record events for a few centuries.

 

I can't see Arlo creating an update to accommodate a giant leap like that.

 

 


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor
The error says drive smaller than 16GB - which it clearly is not. It was on sale at a Costco and I use it to backup other data also. I would expect if there is a max size limitation, support team should be able to point to that clearly at should state an error that is logical. In following this thread, I hoped a firmware patch would enable accurate recognition of anything xxx Gigs or larger in size.
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
The error says drive smaller than 16GB - which it clearly is not. It was on sale at a Costco and I use it to backup other data also. I would expect if there is a max size limitation, support team should be able to point to that clearly at should state an error that is logical.

Absolutely. Arlo has to accommodate users who don't want to get involved in the intricacies of USB storage without having to plough through manuals. Such a warning seems like a good idea.

 

Here's a bit from one manual:

 

Warning:  Do not use the base station to format storage devices with more than 2 TB of storage capacity. The base station formats storage devices using the FAT32 file system, which supports a maximum of 2 TB of storage space. The formatting process reduces the capacity of larger storage devices to a maximum of 2 TB

 

It doesn't say what happens with self-formatted drives, but it does drop a hint or two. Later manuals also refer to FAT32, but you are right to moan about Arlo's confusion. They talk about what the hub will format, not what it accepts.

 

USB size is a regular issue that certainly needs better explanations.

 

I am surprised, though, that you didn't check that your USB drive worked as soon as you installed it rather than waiting 6 weeks. I hope you caught this issue before it caused you any real damage.

 

 


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor
Appreciate your feedback.
I did note the 2TB language and was comfy if the unit reduced size to that amount. My fault was I never even activated the local storage - I assumed (that word!) that a good drive, once plugged in, would auto execute the local storage. It literally was yesterday that I scrolled further down and found the selection option and the error. I am not 2 mos into my 90 day trial of the cloud storage so ha e no issues - just want to get this resolved promptly and move on. I am otherwise very happy with my triplet of cameras.
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
Appreciate your feedback.
I did note the 2TB language and was comfy if the unit reduced size to that amount.


It doesn't work like that. Arlo hubs hate drives with partitions and will refuse to play ball, another point that needs to go into any KnowledgeBase article.

 


@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
My fault was I never even activated the local storage - I assumed (that word!) that a good drive, once plugged in, would auto execute the local storage.


The other thing to consider, and to set up, is the difference between local storage, and direct storage access:

 

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

 

"DSA" is a new tweak, introduced when there was outrage following the death of free cloud storage in perpetuity. Before DSA you had to remove the memory and use a PC to access the recordings. With it you can access the local memory with a mobile device.

 

Lots of things about USB that Arlo needs to explain more clearly. Lets see if we can persuade them to write a decent KnowledgeBase piece.

 

 


Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor
Noted - I have a couple of smaller drives at home so will consolidate their info to the 5TB drive and use the 320GB drive for this need.
Agree there needs to be a KBase article updating all this stuff.
I am debating the need to pay $10/mo for cloud storage and would have no debate if I can get this working properly.
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Discussion stats