Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to enable "Record Locally" in the Storage Setting ( iOS App)

Discussion stats
karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor

The first 3 months with the complimentary cloud storage was flawless.

I was unable enable the "RECORD LOCALLY" button  in the iOS app, which I could during the first 3 months.

How is that so? Must I subscribe to record the files locally?

60 REPLIES 60
ChristopheC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone actually managed to get it to work?

I tried 3 different USB drives I own and none of them works. At this stage, even if I am not happy about it, I may buy a new drive instead of waiting for Arlo to fix the firmware... but if I can't get a recommendation I am definitely not buying a random drive on the chance if may work. 

Maybe add to the knowledge base wish list a list of drives certified to work? 😉

Srbarnes4ever72
Tutor
Tutor
Did yours work prior to the firmware update in March? I purchased my Arlo in May so only had the latest firmware, but others indicate it worked fine prior to that.....if so, this should be a rather simple revision to a subset of the firmware base for those with the issue...and frankly should not require a list of approved devices - just a minimum and maximum size.
ChristopheC
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Srbarnes4ever72 

No, I purchased mine in April which I believe was after the firmware update so never managed to get it to work 😞

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
Noted - I have a couple of smaller drives at home so will consolidate their info to the 5TB drive and use the 320GB drive for this need.

Consensus is that 2 TB is the upper limit. This is fixed in part by the need to use FAT32 on some smart hubs.

But the more I read this stuff the more confusing it  gets.

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
Agree there needs to be a KBase article updating all this stuff.

I've planted the idea in the appropriate place.

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
I am debating the need to pay $10/mo for cloud storage and would have no debate if I can get this working properly.

Be warned that some people see local storage access as a poor substitute for the cloud service. There are those who get seriously twitchy about the need to use port forwarding or to have your own VPN.

And no thumbnail previews on the local access.

And you cannot access local storage through the browser graphical user interface, which is the killer for me. That's a much requested feature. Maybe one day.

I'd experiment with it before making your mind up.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
dcfox1
Master
Master

@ChristopheC 

You ask about what works I have a Cheap 32GB Scandisk thumbdrive that works fine. I just use it for back up since it is a lot more of a hassle compared to a cloud plan. 

Jtlmakes3
Aspirant
Aspirant
Keep getting this error
Srbarnes4ever72
Tutor
Tutor
Well - swapped to a 250G drive I had sitting around - it recognized and requested permission to Format it - everything is working as advertised now.

Looks like that cloud access is more valuable than I realized - but at least I have local storage working.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Srbarnes4ever72 wrote:
Well - swapped to a 250G drive I had sitting around - it recognized and requested permission to Format it - everything is working as advertised now.

That seems to be the sweet spot for people who want lots of long-term recordings.

I have a 128 GB drive that is half full after about a month's recording from six devices. So, I'd expect 256 GB to keep me busy for four months.

Can you imagine how much you could cram into 2 TB? Would the cameras last that long?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
DoubleA
Aspirant
Aspirant
So we still don’t have a fix? <16GB. Useless camera
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@DoubleA wrote:
So we still don’t have a fix? <16GB. Useless camera

A fix for what?

Arlo increased the minimum size of the memory.

Just another user
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Recent firmware releases for the Arlo Base Station/SmartHub have fixed bugs that resulted in this issue. If you're still experiencing issues with local storage, please open a new thread here in the community.

For more information on local storage and the minimum requirements, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

JamesC

Discussion stats