Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro3 detects motion but does not record

Discussion stats
CarlsJr
Tutor
Tutor

I bought my 5th camera today which is a Pro 3.  i have it connected to my base station and see it.  The issue is that it detects motion but does not record it.   ALL 4 of my other cameras are Pro2 and they have no issue in recording.  What am i doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new firmware version was released for vmb4000 and vmb4500 base stations that resolves this issue. Please check your base station firmware version to be sure you received the automatic update. For more information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Base Station VMB4000 - 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851 - 2nd January 2020

Arlo Base Station VMB4500 - 1.15.0.1_3092_d878851 - 2nd January 2020

JamesC

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57
CarlsJr
Tutor
Tutor

the other odd thing is that when i click on the camera for live view i get the error that the device is unable to connect, try gain later.  but yet all my Pro2 camers have no issue.  

my internet speed is 60mb and my wifi is is solid..

i have setup zones and that didnt help.  still no recording  of video when the camera detects motion.  I can see the motion icon turn yellow when i move around .

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@CarlsJr wrote:

I bought my 5th camera today which is a Pro 3.  i have it connected to my base station and see it. 

Did you add it to an existing Pro 2 hub? Is that the VMB4000?

Do you realise that the technology and recording system have changed? The Pro 2 hub does not provide the full capability for a Pro 3 camera. This may give you some insights into what you can expect.

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

More important, Pro 3 cameras no longer come with free seven-day cloud storage. You have to pay.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem with my Pro 3 camera.  It will detect motion, IFTTT triggers work, but nothing gets recorded to the library. This started to happen after the IOS update from 2 or 3 days ago.  My Pro 2 cameras work fine.  My HUB is VMB4000r3, firmware 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd

CarlsJr
Tutor
Tutor

I find it really stupid that i can add the Pro3 to my pro2 system and does everything but record.  So do to a incident that happened Friday night i really needed this 5th cam to cover a blind spot so I took it back to Best Buy and got a Pro2.  its up and recording.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sacornel,

Are you using a custom mode or the default Armed mode? Check your rules to make sure the Pro 3 is set up to record when motion is detected.

JamesC

annlou
Star
Star

I'm also having the same problem with my Arlo Pro 3. It worked fine for more than a month and then stopped working yesterday. I restarted the base twice still nothing. Then I realised it's recording to my usb flash drive connected to my base but not sending a notification or recording it to the cloud.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@annlou wrote:

I'm also having the same problem with my Arlo Pro 3. It worked fine for more than a month and then stopped working yesterday. I restarted the base twice still nothing. Then I realised it's recording to my usb flash drive connected to my base but not sending a notification or recording it to the cloud.

Is the trial subscription still active?

annlou
Star
Star

I have a trial subscription until February 2020.

annlou
Star
Star

Please report your issue to Arlo Support. They say I'm the only one having this issue when clearly I'm not.

mdechgan
Guide
Guide

I’m having the same problem.  Added a Pro 3 to the VM4000r3.  The Pro 3 isn’t recording to cloud.  Can live stream but no library recordings.  Checked the USB drive and the recordings are there, but not uploading to cloud even with the premier subscription.  About a few hours away from returning the camera for a Pro 2.  

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
I am having the same issue that started this week. I don't have a USB drive hooked up to see if it was reacording there or not. My trial is also up I'm February. I had a similar issue the first week but I deleted all activity zones and it was fine but that hasn't worked this time.
annlou
Star
Star

You should call Arlo Support. They are sending me a new camera by Fed Ex because the said my Arlo Pro 3 camera isn't being recognized by the cloud as having a subscription.  Let's hope the new camera is ok. Your best bet is to call them because they said I was the first to report the problem and they don't seem to read this forum even though I told them several times others are complaining here.

annlou
Star
Star

I received the Arlo Pro 3 replacement camera and it still doesn't work. Contacted Arlo Support again, they said they now realize there is an issue and their engineers are work on it!

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
Spent an hour with them today and they couldn't fix my issue so they are replacing my camera. They sounded like they were aware of the issue but still didn't have a solution
annlou
Star
Star

You'll find that the replacement won't work either unless they come up with a solution by then. I wonder how much money they're willing to waste sending out replacement cameras to temporarily appease customers and stall for time.

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
Kind of figured when I saw your previous update. Hopefully they can fix it if not it is an expensive dummy camera
mdechgan
Guide
Guide
I returned my Pro 3 for a Pro 2 and it works beautifully.

The problem is the Pro 3 can’t upload to cloud with the VMB4000 base unit even with a subscription. One can live stream it and record it locally but I guess the Pro 2 base unit is incapable of uploading 2K to cloud. The fix may be to change the firmware to upload the Pro 3 in 1k but then that defeats the purpose of buying a Pro 3 camera. Its gonna need a smart hub.
annlou
Star
Star

My Pro 3 camera worked fine for a month with my old base until Dec 16th. I think they made some changes that caused it to stop working.

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
Same here. Something changed the last couple of days.
J007
Guide
Guide
SAME problem ! Pro3 detect motion but no record in library, I’m on 4000r3 Base , so disappointed
J007
Guide
Guide
My PRO3 work prefect on 4000r3 base from Oct - Dec 15th , yes work prefect it upload 2K videos saved in library and also received nearly instant notification (just like my Pro2 camera )

Until 12/15 they came out with a **bleep**ty firmware for our 4000r3 and once updated , Pro3 no longer working.

So the problem is clear enough , is not the hardware on both (since it worked fine for 2 months) and we need to report to Arlo let us downgrade firmware to previous THATS IT
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is everyone who is reporting this issue here experiencing this only when the Pro 3 camera is connected to a VMB4000 base station? Is anyone experiencing this when the Pro 3 is connected to a different base station/SmartHub?

Thank you,

JamesC

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
I am using the VMB4000 base station.
annlou
Star
Star

Seems like it is only happening with  VMB4000 bases. They stopped working with the Pro 3 after Dec 15th.

I found this on another thread.. It works but It means we have no 2k on the cloud.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-3/Arlo-pro-3-not-recording-to-library/m-p/1747148/highlight/t...

Mike_Bellucci 

Tutor

This worked for me-

The only new thing I did was I toggled on auto zoom & tracking.  ((settings >my devices > (Arlo Pro 3) > Video Settings > auto zoom & tracking)).

The Arlo Smart motion alerts (ie People, animals, vehicles etc ) are also on.

The Arlo Pro 3 in my system is now properly sending notifications and motion triggered events are now showing up in the cloud library.  The only caveat is the Arlo Pro 3 now tracks any movement which may not always be desired. 

I personally believe this is a backend issue with the Arlo Cloud Services.  

Discussion stats