Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 3 Pro Base station dropping off network

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
chrismnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I bought an Arlo 3 pro kit with two cameras recently. Since then the base station has dropped off around 6-7 times (in less than 24 hrs that I have noticed). It will disconnect for a period of time and does recover by itself - though this seems to take 15-20 mins.

The unit won't respond to ping or ARP when it's down. It's like either its network stack has hung, or the whole unit has hung and some sort of watchdog is restarting it after an elapsed time.

I have raised a ticket with support. Anyone had similar issues. I have a Arlo VMB4540r2 - there appears to be no way to get any logs from the base station that I can find.

I see all sort of issues with these units reported around (Arlo in general) and now wondering if I have made a poor decision, for the money these should be top-of-the-line units IMO.

Would prefer a fix vs a return, so I will see what their support team come back with, but thought I would check with the community as well!

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chrismnz,

When you experience this, what is the behavior of the LED on the SmartHub?

JamesC

chrismnz
Aspirant
Aspirant
LED is flashing orange.

I’ve also noted the prior to the unit going offline the ping times (over the local lan) start to climb from sub millisecond up to between 300-1000ms then after a while it goes offline. I think it must just be a faulty base station.
chrismnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Support have RMA'd the base station. However it cost me $25EUR to do so. As it is intermittently faulty Arlo would not issue an advance replacement.

Really disappointing that I have had to pay more for a faulty product that was expensive enough to begin with. 

Arlo technical support didn't know what a switch was either which is pretty bad in for a technical support team supporting a product that relies on a network. Really disappointed in the whole product experience.

@JamesC I am not sure if you are an Arlo employee but the user experience here hasn't been the best (a shame as the product seems to work well when its working).

Edit: After a few discussions Arlo are refunding the $25EUR - some saving grace.

6Cams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 6 camera Arlo Pro 3 with the Arlo Base Station that came along with it.

It is very painful to see that the connection is lost to the Base Station for no apparent reason and comes back again. There is an Amber light in the Base Station and the camera will not be functional during that time. If there is some activity that needs attention, the cameras will not capture it and will render the whole Arlo System useless. It is not worth the money to purchase Arlo, if it does not work reliably.

My Arlo is hardwired to the Internet Modem / Router.

How can we possibly know when Arlo stops and when it starts back again?

I have discussed this issue with the Customer Support last week and they said that they are working on it.

We need a resolution to this at the earliest.

chrismnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have connected my base station to a remotely controllable power switch. So I can power cycle it when it goes offline.

It's interesting to hear you are having the same problem, as the support team mentioned they had not come across this problem before. It is good that it recovers, though it takes 10 minutes to do so from when it fails.

I hope the replacement base station solves the issue, else it's all being returned!

6Cams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. How do you know that your base station is offline in the middle of the night to power it on (reset the power)?

chrismnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

You don't! It's not a great solution but at least I can get it going again if I notice its offline.

Usmaak
Star
Star

This has happened to me a few times that I've noticed.  The latest was today.  It started blinking orange for no reason, and then went back to blue.  I don't spend a lot of time in the room that the base is in but I've noticed that sometimes all of my cameras will be offline in the app and then come back a minute or two later.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation