Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible Notification Bug on Apple Watch?

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
diehrdbattery
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently got a Apple Watch Series 6, running watchOS 7.4.1.  Sometimes when I look at a notification (motion, people, etc.) the alert will keep repeating itself in a loop.  I can eventually dismiss it, but it will keep repeating indefinitely.  I can't imaging this is normal behavior?

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

@zacharye

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing? What exactly are the notifications doing? (Are the notifications being delivered back to back multiple times per notification) How are they appearing? I am not able to replicate this issue.

Do you:

• receive the initial push notification on your watch, raise your wrist to view and wrist back down (Press Nothing)
    • Receive the notification raise your wrist, view the initial push notification dismiss (Press DISMISS) the alert, lower wrist?

OS/App versions: 

• Which version of the Arlo mobile app do you have installed on your phone?
    • Which version of Watch OS are you running?
    • Which version of iOS is installed on your phone? 

Normal Push notification behavior will be the following: 

• When a notification is received; if you look at the notification and (Do not dismiss it by pressing the DISMISS button), you will receive a 2nd non audible push notification when the recording lands in to your library. The same flow applies for your iPhone when receiving a push notification. 

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

diehrdbattery,

Does this happen on your phone as well or just the watch?

JamesC

Fullsec
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I have Version 3.2 of the app installed on my iPhone yet I still get 4 notifications for every one event the app logs as motion detected. This is draining my watch battery as well as just ridiculous as it’s been months and still is not fixed yet.
diehrdbattery
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed response.. it is on the watch only.

makersforme
Tutor
Tutor

A month later and still no fix.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been an update that should address this issue with duplicate push notifications. There has been a slow roll out release for Arlo iOS App V3.5. If you did not receive the update or do not have it displayed within the App Store, you may be able to remove & re-install the Arlo app to force the update. 

zacharye
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates on this? I have the latest versions of iOS, watchOS, and the Arlo app installed and the bizarre notification loop is still a problem for me. Apple Watch Series 4, iPhone 12 Pro.

Honigdachs
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Latest iOS and watchOS, but get watch notifications multiple times. They pop up and go and up and go. Takes quite a while to dismiss. 3.5.1 on hub.
zacharye
Tutor
Tutor

Oh by the way it's November and this is still not fixed 👏 👏

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@zacharye

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing? What exactly are the notifications doing? (Are the notifications being delivered back to back multiple times per notification) How are they appearing? I am not able to replicate this issue.

Do you:

• receive the initial push notification on your watch, raise your wrist to view and wrist back down (Press Nothing)
  • Receive the notification raise your wrist, view the initial push notification dismiss (Press DISMISS) the alert, lower wrist?

OS/App versions: 

• Which version of the Arlo mobile app do you have installed on your phone?
  • Which version of Watch OS are you running?
  • Which version of iOS is installed on your phone? 

Normal Push notification behavior will be the following: 

• When a notification is received; if you look at the notification and (Do not dismiss it by pressing the DISMISS button), you will receive a 2nd non audible push notification when the recording lands in to your library. The same flow applies for your iPhone when receiving a push notification. 
zacharye
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for circling back on this.

To clarify, I receive the initial push notification on my watch, raise my wrist to view, and press nothing.

If I do this without lowering my wrist or pressing anything, the initial notification animation plays. But instead of the notification staying on the watch screen like it should, the notification animation just repeats over and over again once per second. It keeps going on and on unless I lower my wrist for a while or mash the crown button a bunch of times. Not even swiping the notification away works — the animation just keeps repeating once per second.

Sometimes it happens every single time I get a notification. Other times it only happens intermittently. I can't test it right now because I've had to disable all notifications due to another issue that popped up this week (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Activity-Zones-Not-Working-and-Double-Notification...).

Re: app version, watchOS version, and iOS version, this issue has existed across many releases since at least early this year. Stable iOS 14/15 releases and beta releases have been affected. I'm currently on iOS 15.1 RC, the latest stable watchOS release, and the latest stable version of the iOS app (3.5.6 (2972)).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@zacharye

Thanks for the detailed information. The multiple notifications you just clarified on was a bug previously and was fixed. Look like it might be back. I tried to replicate this but could not. It may be a difference in Apple watch series.. &/or iPhone iOS. 

is this notification issue occurring with all cameras as well?

Can you try iOS 15.0.2 on your phone and see if that helps? and possibly try to remove/re-install the Arlo app if you haven't already. I'll figure it out.

FYi: the link you shared with the smart notification issue, the team is investigating again & it will be fixed soon. I have updated that thread as well. 

zacharye
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the update re: the activity zone issue — definitely appreciate it!

Re: watch notifications, I remember back when this issue was initially fixed in an Arlo app update. For whatever reason, it was never fixed for me. It continued happening after that update and has never stopped. I can't downgrade my device right now unfortunately, so I can't test on 15.0.2. That said, 15.1 should be released next week anyway.

Re: devices, I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro and an Apple Watch S4. My AWS7 arrives next week, so hopefully that'll be the last I see of this bug!

Thanks for your time 👍

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

That's interesting, I have the series 4 as well with the 13 Pro max and have been running in and out and can't get them to pop like this anymore. Do you mind providing a log and I can have the team investigate it? I can send the instructions. 

zacharye
Tutor
Tutor

If it'll help then sure, happy to send a log

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation