Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 3 how many camera can be connected to a hub without subscription

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
FunkySri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, Is it possible to connect 6 camera to a single hub with Arlo pro 3 without any subscription plans? And how many days the recording is store considering the memory is enough? Do we get notification of person/animal/vehicle without subscription?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FunkySri wrote:

Is it possible to connect 6 camera to a single hub with Arlo pro 3 without any subscription plans?

Yes

@FunkySri wrote:

And how many days the recording is store considering the memory is enough? 

No cloud recording at all. 

USB/microSD storage is possible.  Arlo says you should assume 2 mbps per camera on the uplink - if you assume that rate (which is conservative), you can get about 150 hours of recordings on an 128 GB  USB stick.  Which is a lot of motion recordings.  

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) you can use direct access to local storage.  Otherwise you will need to eject the storage and review it in a PC.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Direct Access isn't as convenient as the subscription:

• no manual recordings 
  • recordings not accessible from my.arlo.com
  • no friend account access
  • no thumbnails
  • can be difficult to get remote acess set up.

@FunkySri wrote:

Do we get notification of person/animal/vehicle without subscription?

No. 

You also lose cloud activity zones.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FunkySri wrote:

Is it possible to connect 6 camera to a single hub with Arlo pro 3 without any subscription plans?

Yes

@FunkySri wrote:

And how many days the recording is store considering the memory is enough? 

No cloud recording at all. 

USB/microSD storage is possible.  Arlo says you should assume 2 mbps per camera on the uplink - if you assume that rate (which is conservative), you can get about 150 hours of recordings on an 128 GB  USB stick.  Which is a lot of motion recordings.  

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) you can use direct access to local storage.  Otherwise you will need to eject the storage and review it in a PC.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Direct Access isn't as convenient as the subscription:

• no manual recordings 
  • recordings not accessible from my.arlo.com
  • no friend account access
  • no thumbnails
  • can be difficult to get remote acess set up.

@FunkySri wrote:

Do we get notification of person/animal/vehicle without subscription?

No. 

You also lose cloud activity zones.

FunkySri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for you reply. I think without subscription, its like I have go and manually check the video.

I read somewhere on internet that only 5 cameras can be attached to a hub without subscription, but thats not the case.

I am planing to buy, does it pretty responsive in terms of notification and realtime view (with subscription)?

Please suggest me if Pro3 is good or I should look for pro 4 or Ultra?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FunkySri wrote:

I read somewhere on internet that only 5 cameras can be attached to a hub without subscription, but thats not the case.

Some old cameras (rolled out before 2018) offered 7 days of free cloud storage if you had 5 (or fewer) cameras.   That's probably what you read.

@FunkySri wrote:

I am planing to buy, does it pretty responsive in terms of notification and realtime view (with subscription)?

Please suggest me if Pro3 is good or I should look for pro 4 or Ultra?

I do have a subscription.  I find that the that notifications come in quickly.  There is some lag (up to several seconds) on the real-time view - and it does vary in ways that are hard to understand.  I find the performance is good enough to monitor, but I think the delay is too long for the 2-way communication feature to be very useful.

The only difference between the Pro 3 and the Pro 4 is that the Pro 4 can connect either to your home WiFi or a base.  The Pro 3 requires the base.  I find them both to be quite good.  The ultra is better (somewhat larger field of view, 4K, and audio has wind noise suppression).  But it also costs more. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation