Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Lost Local Storage Access

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Prior to latest Arlo Android app updates I was able to access my local storage connected to Smarthub using the Arlo app - this was working perfectly, there have been no other changes to phone or home network.

When I go to Library page I no longer see the options (above the date) for selecting cloud or local storage.

I have all app settings turned on for local storage and USB Device 1 is 'Ready'.

I have removed USB device and confirmed that files are being recorded there.

If I enable port forwarding in the app, the cloud/local storage selection (above the date)  will show but when selecting my local storage it attempts to connect but will always deliver the 'Try again' error.

If I leave port forwarding enabled and close out the app, the cloud/local storage (above the date) no longer shows when I open app again.

If I toggle port forwarding in app, cloud/local storage (above the date) will once again show and once again deliver the 'Try again' error when attempting to connect to local storage.

I have loaded latest Arlo app on 3 phones on same home wifi network and I get identical results with all.

Please note - port forwarding does not need to be enabled when accessing local storage on same network as Smarthub - it was not necessary before when this was working for me before and it is clearly explained in Arlo's instructions.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
dcfox1
Master
Master

I just updated and had to hit library a couple times for it to give option but it did work. Just to clarify i hit library at top when in library. 

Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not get anything at the top when in Library to hit unfortunately - screenshot shows what I see at top when in Library. 

app-library-screenshot.pngsettings-screenshot.png

dcfox1
Master
Master

Your pics didn't go through. its right  above " april " on iphone. after i updated it just said library till i hit it. Just went back and checked and ow does says cloud or smarthub like it used to. 

Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that is where it used to be for me on Android app.

I can make it appear for one app session only if (as I said in OP) I enable port forwarding. If I close out app it will be gone again until I disable and re-enable port forwarding.

I appreciate your help but comparing iPhone to Android app is not valid.

Pic attached.

app-library-screenshot.pngsettings-screenshot.png

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea I didnt realize the two were that different. 

vnorred
Guide
Guide

I have the exact same problem.  I am accessing local storage from my 2 Galaxy S7 phones.  Never had a problem before.  This actually started a day or so ago.  There is no Smarthub or Cloud area to press above the library anymore.  There must have been a firmware update that screwed this up.  The only thing shown at the top is April.  There must be lots of others with this same issue.  Why is everyone silent?

vnorred
Guide
Guide

I just checked my phones again and it is magically working again.  It is functional now like it always was before  a day or so ago.  Who did what?  No, I did not reboot my phone.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@vnorred wrote:

Who did what? 

Someone hit the server with a rubber hammer?

They are always messing around at their end.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish I could say the same that mine magically started working again but it has not.

vnorred
Guide
Guide

After testing this for a day, the best I can say is that it "mostly" works.  When it is not working, i.e. not showing the cloud/smart hub button at the top of the Library screen, then when I turn port forwarding ON it starts working again.  That is as you said.  But then I turn Port Forwarding OFF  and it continues to work.  At least "mostly" as I said before.  I am still working on getting my VPN remote access to work so I do not want port forwarding on.  This issue is a real aggravation.

Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just confirmed my suspicion that Arlo broke local storage with their app updates - installed an older version of Arlo app (from March 04) and local storage is now working 100 percent, same phone same network. I am still waiting after many days for a response from Arlo Support on this problem.

local-storage-working-with-app-version-2.13_27035.png

vnorred
Guide
Guide

Glad to hear you are back in business.  Mine on my Galaxy S7 seems to work 90% of the time so I can tolerate it for now.  However, your comment interests me.  I see my Arlo app was updated on April 5.  I did not know you could revert to an earlier version, i.e. April 4.  How did you do that and how do you prevent it from updating automatically again?

Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is possible to install app APKs (packages) from other sources. There are security concerns with this and it is not really recommended - would just be better if Arlo tested more thoroughly before releasing 'updated' versions.

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-allow-apps-installation-from-unknown-sources-on-android-9-pie/

You can turn auto-updates off in Google Play, that gives you control over which apps are updated and when. (manual updates)

arlo-app-apks-apkmirror.com.png

Ricer
Aspirant
Aspirant
Almost a month later and my Android Arlo app was still not giving me the option to access my Local Storage. I did confirm that I could get this to work if I installed an older version of their app, but this is not really a fix as one should always keep apps up to date of course. Arlo Support promised me that their engineering team in the US was looking into this but all I got from them was endless repeating of their same questions to me. What is worse is that they did not communicate directly with me, but through Support in the Phillipines - not that these are not good knowledgeable people but if ever you want to degrade information, pass it through anther party. Here is what I did and it finally somehow solved this issue: Updated Arlo app to latest version, confirmed phone connected to same wifi network as SmartHub and confirmed also that Local Storage was not shown as accessible from app, even after phone reboot. Rremoved SmartHub from my account. Reinstalled SmartHub, allowed FW update check, reinstalled all cameras. Checked to see if option to choose Local Storage available in app, it was not, even after phone reboot. Later that same day checked again, Local Storage now accessible and working properly. Many days later and Local Storage is still fuctioning correctly and consistenly on latest version of Arlo Android app.
Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation