Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Audio issue pro3 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
caberto
Aspirant
Aspirant
We just purchased two pro 3 cameras with the pro3 hub direct from Arlo. We also have 3 older arlo cameras and all 5 cameras work fine as far as video.

When testing audio... with me on Android or laptop arlo app, my wife who is at the camera says she can barely hear me and it sounds choppy/muffled, and she hears her own voice being echoed at the camera. On my end she sounds very very faint, choppy, and the audio is very delayed on both ends.

When we do the exact same test with me at the camera and she with the app with her iphone, the audio is crystal clear and loud on both ends, not choppy or muffled, and I hear no echo of myself at the camera.

All other things are equal as far as testing. And we've tested with both the camera and phones in different places, all with the same consistent results. Our wifi signal is excellent thoughout.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
caberto
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just some more info... I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my android and it's the latest release, ensured that the hub and pro3 cameras have the latest firmware.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@caberto wrote:

Any ideas or solutions?

On some phones the microphone volume is lower than Arlo expects, so the audio is weak.  If you use a headset with your phone, you'll find it is much louder.

It'd be nice if Arlo provided a setting to boost the level, but they haven't.

caberto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I don't have any issue with my phone with any other application. In fact, it's usually clearer than my wife's phone; and it also happens on my new laptop with the arlo website, so I don't think that's it. In addition, that would not explain the camera echoing the voice of the person who is at the camera... and the echo does not happen when the person on the app is on the iphone. It's really strange... it's almost like there is some kind of loop going on that causes the echo in the camera and the delay - but it does not happen when using the app on my wife's i-phone - it is crystal clear on both ends when on the iphone app. The issue is only when using the app on my android, or from the arlo website on the laptop.

Our wifi also isn't an issue... we get 230+Mbps downstream and around 24Mbps upstream.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@caberto wrote:

that would not explain the camera echoing the voice of the person who is at the camera... and the echo does not happen when the person on the app is on the iphone. It's really strange... it's almost like there is some kind of loop going on that causes the echo in the camera and the delay

The echo part is likely because you are using the phone in speakerphone mode.

Whenever you are in speakerphone mode, the phone microphone also picks up the sound coming out of the phone speaker.  If that signal isn't removed, you get either feedback or echo (depending on the lag).  The phone itself removes that signal - the process is called "acoustic echo cancellation".  If the volume on the phone speaker is set too high, then the speaker will distort the sound some - and when that happens the echo can't be removed.

If you aren't in speakerphone mode, then there is something else going on.

As an aside, when there is echo in conference call, then the person who doesn't hear the echo is causing it.  It's rather non-intuitive.

@caberto wrote:

Thanks Stephen, I don't have any issue with my phone with any other application.

Understood.  It's still an issue with the Arlo app and some Android phones (notably Samsung).  And other users have reported that it's not a problem when they use headphones.  It's definitely linked to the microphone level in the phone (and not your wifi bandwidth).  Arlo should be able to fix it, but they haven't chosen to.

MADMIKEMIKE
Guide
Guide
trust me its not just you I have it happening to me and have an open ticket and so do many other people. Arlo has a lot of issues. I have a Samsung s10. I have literally put my phone outside while leaving the mic on in the app....to make sure my phone was hearing me....went to the camera....talked into it....and it just repeats everything you say.....I tried multiple phones....
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation