Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I have a 3 camera Arlo Pro 3 system.  2 cameras work as expected. 
Camera 3 just stopped detecting motion and connecting to video feed.  On the "Position your Arlo Camera" step of the ios Mobile add device screen, the "video bandwidth just spins and says connecting.  I am within 2 feet of the base station. 

I have connected Arlo support, we tried all official ideas. drop and re-add device. Factory reset.  I have purchased a new battery.  All have yield same results. 

I am reaching out to community for some possible ideas.  I am 3 weeks past my warranty date, how convenient.  So I am left with buying a new camera, or finding a ad-hoc fix for this.

I am open to just about anything.

78 REPLIES 78
TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I have also disassembled the camera as well. Nothing looks broken or stuck. I was also hoping by disconnecting all the components it might force a reset when reassembled. Nope!

Honestreviewer
Guide
Guide

NOPE!!! Arlo tech support is absolutely terrible. They give a 30% discount on a $200 camera. So let's do the math

1st camera $200 now a paper weight. Second camera $200- 30%= $140. Total spent for ONE WORKING CAMERA $340...UMM,Arlo, explain how the consumer benefits from your faulty product(s). They should have a class action brought against them. Lost a customer big time. Doorbell did the same thing. BUYERS BEWARE... GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY!!!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bandb87 wrote:

Same problem here.  Did anyone have success fixing it?

Are you saying that none of them will livestream?

1. What model base do you have?
  2. What have you done to attempt to fix it?  (remove/reinsert battery, restart base, ???)
TheLoneXY
Star
Star
Arlo Pro 3 camera.
No live video, no motion detection. claims to connect to base, but doesn't operate or reflect config changes.
I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get it to work.  removed every wire and connection, soft reset, hard reset, new OEM battery, different wifi, different location, NOTHING.  It is a paper weight.

Firmware
1.20.7.0_1335_cf4d59a
Hardware VMB4540r2

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TheLoneXY wrote:
Arlo Pro 3 camera.

Sorry - I was asking @bandb87,  who stepped into your thread.  Generally I quote the post I am replying to, in order to help avoid confusion.  FWIW, I wish people would start their own threads - even if they think their problem is similar to someone else's.   

BMCool
Guide
Guide

If Arlo doesn't pay attention or care about an issue with 3 pages of responses, why would they have any heightened level of concern over 30 individual posts?

I think these multiple response threads with multiple people with the same issue help in getting the word out on social media so consumers are aware of the very real problems with this hardware and this company.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BMCool wrote:

If Arlo doesn't pay attention or care about an issue with 3 pages of responses, why would they have any heightened level of concern over 30 individual posts?

I think these multiple response threads with multiple people with the same issue help in getting the word out on social media so consumers are aware of the very real problems with this hardware and this company.

Not sure what your point is here.

I'm just saying that when multiple people with a problem are posting on the same thread, then follow-ups always get confusing.  Often people with the problem aren't sure who is being asked what.  And users like me who are trying to help find it hard to track what the various posters have already said.  All that just adds to the frustration.

Hutch4Photos
Initiate
Initiate

Same exact problem as everyone else.  Before buying another (or switching systems) anyone find solution?

ld_olin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looks like I am another number in the books. I have my camera set to record and not notify me so I did not notice the one camera of my 3 was not recording. I went through all the same steps with trying to reset with no good results. My still image on the screen shows an image from 75 days ago and yes my warranty is up as well. 

This is my second arlo system and was a major upgrade from the original arlo in video quality. One thing though is my original arlo cameras still work! All 4 of them 8 years later! I am a bit upset about this and do plan to switch to a different camera solution. If anyone has a proven camera recommendation that does not require running wires all over please reach out. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ld_olin wrote:

Looks like I am another number in the books. I have my camera set to record and not notify me so I did not notice the one camera of my 3 was not recording.

Did you check the subscription status?

KiwiArloUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

No Luck

tried this 4-5 times

Erick_Gables
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, just stuck. it happened right after the firmware update. tried resetting all the way to the router and tried to set it up on my neighbors house and still the same thumbnail from 16days ago. grrrrrrr

I even tried creating a new account just to isolate the software app problem. the UI on the account is different but the same version yet the problem is still the same. thumbnail stuck on live view, cant perform "camera positioning" 

BMCool
Guide
Guide

As much as I hate to be the barer of bad news, you might as well hang up any idea of getting meaningful support from Arlo. At most they're going to offer you a 30% off a new unit purchase and think they're patting themselves on the back for offering it when the reality is they know there's an issue with their hardware and they have zero intention of fixing it or replacing it when it goes back.

If your cameras are still functional now, have a plan to move to another vendor before they go out on you. They WILL go out on you, and no, Arlo will NOT honor its warranty let alone stand by the reliability and stability of their offerings.

This is a terrible company. Stay far far far away. 

dresoccer4
Guide
Guide

completely agree with the above commenter. There are dozens and dozens of accounts on these forums of the exact same problems happening. Arlo has been aware of this hardware issue for many years now but refuses to admit there's a problem. Probably because that'd force them to actually do something about it. 

Instead the "support" on here runs people through the same troubleshooting steps that they know won't work, then if you're lucky will offer up a small discount on the same faulty product. It's a perfect use-case on what not to do as a company. 

djmeister
Initiate
Initiate

same issue pro 3 cam not connecting. problem is they don't fix it or offer you a replacment people will stop buying them thats why they have the pro 5 trying to fix the problem but get payed for it end of story really.

jinsk
Initiate
Initiate

Hello Arlo, I have 2 Pro3 camera's that packed it in like everyone here.  3 months past warranty and after a firmware update they just stopped live video.  Reset everything, Install, and no video bandwidth connection and clicking sound.  Judging by the "JOY" expressed by the community, its obvious you don't care one bit.  And to suggest we buy a new camera is just ludicrous.  Believe me, just as soon as one of the other 2 remaining camera's quit, I will be going to another system.  WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOU TO STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT?

HEY COMMUNITY, do you have any recommendations for a competing product that works and is supported by the vendor?  I am shopping!

BMCool
Guide
Guide

They're not going to, it doesn't matter when your warranty was up. If it was in warranty, they'd find some other excuse of why they won't replace it either blaming the store you bought it from or saying some "special arrangement" with Amazon or something disallows them from replacing it.

This company doesn't care about their customers past the point of sale. They want to sell the hardware, maybe a high end package, but once you give them money their desire to deal with you stop there.

I've got my existing kit working along side a Eufy solution I picked up after Arlo left me out on the cold, works much better with HomeKit and as the Arlo camera die I'll just replace them with more Eufy cams. So far I haven't had one break on me to see if they'll pull an Arlo yet but so far so good. 

Stevie15
Initiate
Initiate

I am having this problem with my pro 3.

I have done factory reset several time and also resync several times. I disconnected the hub and reconnected.

The camera is synced with the base but won't play the video. If I press play it just shows connecting over and over

Stevie15
Initiate
Initiate

Didn't work for me 

LB213
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue, nothing works to fix this. This happened to me 2 years after use

Pslaboch
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same thing.  Rebooted, Removed, reinstalled, Renamed.  Says it is connected to the base, but the video is frozen from three days ago.

dresoccer4
Guide
Guide

you're out of luck. that means the camera is borked. i'd recommend switching to Ring or a different brand at this point. Arlo will provide no more support for defective items unfortunately

Pslaboch
Tutor
Tutor

I don't find that to be true.  When I am in Armed mode, my other two cameras record but now the third one, with the "frozen thumbnail" says offline.

ForKyleigh
Initiate
Initiate

All three of mine seemed to die at the same time.   Seems a bit strange for that to happen.  I didn't see this thread till after I spent 5 hours with them work through different things.  They kept blaming my internet.  Well, I jumped through all the hoops they put in front of me to no avail (obviously at this point).  What is interesting is that the EOL (end of life) policy does not apply to the Arlo Pro 3.  So there should still be updates, etc.  That would lead me to believe that they should be able to take care of whatever is plaguing the Pro 3 cameras.  

My camera's still seem to record when they see motion.  Very randomly will it ever get recorded to the hub though.  All three of mine happened at once I believe.  That would make me think software/firmware update could fix the problem.  Sounds more like planned obsolescence to me.  Do we have any attorneys in the group?  I'm not a tech guru, but it seems like there are enough folks that have issues that there could be a case made from this.  Heck, I will pitch in towards a retainer.

Pslaboch
Tutor
Tutor

I have the three camera Pro 3 with base and it is just over a year old and two of the three cameras are doing the same thing.  I have done all of the resets and restarts and still frozen on an image.