Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I have a 3 camera Arlo Pro 3 system.  2 cameras work as expected. 
Camera 3 just stopped detecting motion and connecting to video feed.  On the "Position your Arlo Camera" step of the ios Mobile add device screen, the "video bandwidth just spins and says connecting.  I am within 2 feet of the base station. 

I have connected Arlo support, we tried all official ideas. drop and re-add device. Factory reset.  I have purchased a new battery.  All have yield same results. 

I am reaching out to community for some possible ideas.  I am 3 weeks past my warranty date, how convenient.  So I am left with buying a new camera, or finding a ad-hoc fix for this.

I am open to just about anything.

78 REPLIES 78
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have a 12 month warranty so pursue support for a replacement or try swapping at the store.

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I am 3 weeks past my warranty period.  GO FIGURE!

sta998
Initiate
Initiate

did you find a fix for this mine is doing the exact same thing and just recently happened to me its almost like the camera has bad software as the base station can see and add the camera.  My camera is also recently out of warranty.  If this is happening to several people its sounding more like something they may have broke with a firmware update or something. If this happen to have happened to lots of people that are out of warranty perhaps a class action suit  may be in order if they bricked cams and then the fix is just trying to sell new cameras

TheLoneXY
Star
Star
Unfortunately I was not able to fix or diagnose the issue. I tried every possible fix. Short of unscrewing the camera enclosure. I just ordered a new essential one using a 30% off code Arlo gave me because I was out of warranty by 2 weeks.

I went back and forth with Arlo fighting for a exception, but got nowhere. I have 3 cameras and it was the only one that was acting up. I may disassemble the camera enclosure as it sounds like something is clicking in there when motion is detected. Maybe it is something I can fix. But if it doesn’t work after that then it’s going I’m back in the box and will sit in my closet.

As for the class action, it isn’t worth the effort for a $90 camera. Now if all my cameras did it then maybe. Problem is there is nothing we can do to prove what the cause is.

I’d say contact Arlo for a 30% off code. That’s all you are going to get.
dresoccer4
Guide
Guide

I'm extremely frustrated because I'm having the EXACT same issue. I was about to start a new thread but then found this one. I'm also JUST out of warranty. 

I just did a hard reset on the camera, power-cycled the base station, then re-connected it all again. Everything was successful...except for 1 strange thing. The image is a frozen still shot from 3 months ago!! Yes, the only image being transmitted from the camera is when we had a snow storm last February. 

IMG_7907.jpg

Even then in the main menu this is what it's showing. Even more strange is, the camera was working fine a month ago, so this isn't even the last image it saw before it started freaking out. 

IMG_7908.jpg

This is obviously a defective camera and I doubt anyone will be able to fix it from here. All i can hope is Arlo does the honorable thing and replace it. A single year guarantee that a product will work is pretty telling on their confidence in their product. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dresoccer4,

We've had other reports of the outdated thumbnail image. This isn't a camera hardware issue and the development team is currently investigating these reports. We'll provide an update as soon as we know more.

JamesC

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I hope that you will find something.  I have kept the camera, just in case, but I have replaced it for my production use as it didn't work.  Hope you find a glitch somewhere in the code/configuration.  I would love to re-activate it for use.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TheLoneXY wrote:

I hope that you will find something.  I have kept the camera, just in case, but I have replaced it for my production use as it didn't work.  Hope you find a glitch somewhere in the code/configuration.  I would love to re-activate it for use.

To be clear - the camera should be recording, and if you just go into the library for the camera, you will see thumbnails for all the recent recordings (and of course see the recordings).

I get that is an extra step, but I think it is an overstatement to say it doesn't work at all.

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

Understood. 
Though my issue had 2 parts: thumbnail and the fact that the camera was unable to connect to Base.  We tried EVERYTHING to get it to connect and it refused 99% of the time.  It did connect 1-2 times manually, but then NEVER detected motion or was able to connect to it via LIVE.  It was almost like the sensor went bad.

dresoccer4
Guide
Guide

Mine wasn't recording. The thumbnail was frozen from a recording from 3 months prior and was not recording. I would get alerts about movement, but that's all.

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

Mine has a thumbnail, 73 days ago.  I got the camera to connect just now, but it will not connect to video feed, in any area of the application.  Nor will it detect motion.  I believe my issue is hardware related.  It occurred 2 weeks after warranty ended, and Arlo threw their hands up and said "not my problem", "buy a new camera".

DieHardJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having this issue. Except in my case I get the occasional motion alert but there is no video associated with it. The motion activated light comes on occasionally as well.

dresoccer4
Guide
Guide

yes this happens to mine as well

rsantu11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got  a set of 4 cam Pro3 and got exactly same problem as above. and out of warranty . 

Initially, one camera isnt connecting  and other one does record the video but when you click on live its just blank.

Tried everything and then when i reset and wanted to add all the four back to the hub....  now both of my camera does not add to the base and its stuck "position your camera " showing an month old image.

ARLO find a solution please ....

ZIllion27
Initiate
Initiate
I have the exact same issue. 1 of 4 cameras stopped working when solar panel failed and battery went to zero. On replacing with a fresh battery the issue started of spinning wheel on “connecting”with old thumbnail being the only think visible and no new recording despite motion detection working.
Foojucat
Initiate
Initiate
I take it a solution has not been found for this issue? I am out of warranty for 3 months and now find that one of my 4 cameras is exhibiting the same problem described here. Camera is discovered, but no video connection. Video bandwidth screen continues to spin on a now 7 day old image. Multiple resets and a new battery have not fixed the issue.
ProteanCharm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue.  Worked great for months, and now broken for three days.  

I have:

two Arlo Pro 3,

four Arlo Pro 2,

and two Arlo Pro original cameras.

The Pro 3s are connected to a Pro Base Station 4540, and the rest are on the VBM 4000 

and out of no where, the Pro 3 stops sending video.  Just spins for hours.  I have tried multiple ways to get it to work.  Remove/ Add; tried the VBM4000 (still same no video), reset.  Nothing has worked.  

gschabes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just had my first, probably identical issue to most of the above: base recognizes device, gets some telemetry, but cannot stream the video. Solution: a refurbished Pro 3.

I hope my other 5 stay in function.

hkbugs
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have exactly the same issue after move location.. arlo pro3, 4 of my cams only 1 still working . been reset few times, change base station , even change internet connection and change modem.. all not work.  can connect to cams but cant stream any video.. i think there is some bugs in pro3.. i use pro 2 never have such issue.

so disappointing 

Garlic2022
Star
Star

Factory reset camera

Reboot arlo base

Reboot wifi

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

That sequence of things has been tried time and time again.  I have tried doing it on my own, with Arlo support on the phone, nothing worked.  When the camera detected motion you can hear a clicking sound of the shutter/lens (guess) trying to engage, but nothing is displayed or recorded.

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

I haven't turned the defective camera on for about 9 months, maybe there is a Firmware update that has resolved this issue. I am not holding my breath.

TheLoneXY
Star
Star

Is there an update to this?

Honestreviewer
Guide
Guide

This is EXACTLY what is happening to my Arlo 3 camera. It must be their software. I am showing an old image, it won't do live video and the battery is new. Internet connected. A clicking noise and it does not work. Arlo has enough people complaining about this same issue, so it's no coincidence.