Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
huttler
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo Pro3s come with a 5V 2.0 amp charger. Why won’t an after market charger with the same rating charge the camera? The camera battery only needs 4.4v to charge (as printed on the battery).

Even my old rotten Pro1s that require a 9v charger (7.2v battery) will work with other chargers as long as they’re rated at 9v 1.8amp
6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't know if an after market charger will work,... not sure if there is some sort of sense unit in camera for "their" charger.

The more current just makes the charger a bit faster.

You would just have to try the 3rd party charger.

As to the old Pro1 charger with 9v... They used a dual voltage qualcom type charger for that camera. ( puts out 5 and 9v )

The battery will not charge on a standard 5v usb charger with battery at 7.2v ( needing at least 8.4 or so to charge fully )

This was later changed in the P2( and newer ) to just 5v with circuitry in the camera.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

I am using a 25 foot charging cable with a 3rd party charger on an outdoor camera.  It has worked just fine.  I have charged with it and am using now as a continuous power source.

huttler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know. Can you refer what brand you used?

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

I bought theses from Amazon

25ft/7.6m Weatherproof Outdoor Charging Cable with Quick Charge Adapter

huttler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks! That's a pretty good deal

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jsaus63304 wrote:

I am using a 25 foot charging cable with a 3rd party charger on an outdoor camera.  It has worked just fine.  I have charged with it and am using now as a continuous power source.

Same here.

I have used various third party adapters (fast and slow) to power and charge different versions of Arlo cameras.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation