Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 54 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
gmace001
Guide
Guide
I have an odd issue where at night, there are times when no motion is detected and the floodlight will turn on by itself and stay on until I discover it and turn it off. It’s really annoying because even though I have it plugged in, the light being on at full blast for a while starts to drain it. It makes no sense to me why it will just randomly turn on and stay on, since there’s not even an option for that!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update was just deployed that should resolve this issue. To receive this update manually, please log in to your Arlo mobile app and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your floodlight > Restart. After the floodlight comes back online tap Device Info and Firmware to start the update. Otherwise, the update will install automatically overnight as long as your floodlight is online.

You can find the release information here: Arlo Floodlight FB1001 - 1.070.19.2_20_d19c2ceb 8th October 2020

JamesC

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try removing and resyncing the floodlight.

gmace001
Guide
Guide
I tried that. This is actually my second floodlight because the first had dust under the lens cover causing blurriness. I even bought a brand new Netgear Nighthawk router for better range, which provides a strong signal at all times. It’s just so random and annoying. Going to bed and realizing the light has been on for an hour is really bothersome and I’m sure the neighbors aren’t happy.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap at the store (again) or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Have had this issue too. It's plugged in so not a big deal but still annoying as it goes off right by my bedroom window.

Also, I have Smart alert settings for people only and I still get bugs and spider webs triggering it at like 30% sensitivity 

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Discovered I have the same issue this evening! Very annoying, looks to be a flaw with the product, hoping Arlo knows about this issue and release a firmware update!
gmace001
Guide
Guide
I hope they do something because it works pretty well now except for that. The fact that it can be on for hours is troubling and could be shortening the life of the lights and battery.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Agreed. Now makes me worry about what my floodlight is doing in the middle of the night while I sleep! Might have to put it in its lowest brightness if it keeps happening to avoid disturbing the public or my neighbour...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I will reach out to each of you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

I should add that mine seems to do it when I open the app to go in and arm another base station the floodlight is not connected to.

Soon as I open the app, the motion guy goes off and the light turns on. There's nothing triggering it as it does this every time at night when I open the app.

HVLaxRef
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Seems to be better since I turned the device on and off.

richard203
Aspirant
Aspirant

yep mines happen last time and i have to reset the base station and the light to turn off.

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
No base station required for mine but I have powered on and off device, even restarted the home router as the Arlo had stopped detecting motion, has been working fine since and light staying hasn't happened since. Will continue to monitor.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Oh great....now I suddenly cannot connect to live view, just hangs on connecting...

Restarted device from app, restarted my router, looks like it has stopped detecting motion since this afternoon.

The only thing left to try is taking out the battery...what a pain...not had this camera long and a few issues already developing!
HVLaxRef
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't seen those problems. My issue of the light not turning off after the set minutes has gone away. I disarm and arm my camera every 3 or 4 days. Should not have to do that. Arlo needs to find a fix and issue a firmware update.

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Ok turns out the Internet was playing up which explains my last issue.

Back to the light issue, yesterday night with heavy rain, this kept triggering the light to come on frequently which made the wife temporarily disable the camera!

The camera is set to only recognise people and cars so why is the motion of water triggering it off?

Does the sensitivity need to be adjusted? I have it setup to only recognise People and Cars coming on the driveway, every other smart alerts switched off.
HVLaxRef
Aspirant
Aspirant

At least your camera is still working. Yesterday I disarmed mine as we were doing yard work in front of of it. I was not able to re-arm the camera. I decided to remove and reinstall the camera.  I can't get the camera to read the QSR code. This is a good product when it works. But there are way too many frustrating issues with it. I made a post about my issue and am waiting for replies. Good luck with your issue.

pent
Guide
Guide

Might be a little off-topic but I have found that disabling the battery fully charged LED indicator helps to stop bugs from coming up close to your camera + setting off the light / recordings.

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
You have a point, I normally leave my fully charged indicator light on, I will switch that off, see how it goes, thanks!
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
The issue has happened again, it doesn't help that UK is getting torrential downpour of rain at the moment which is not helping matters but light turned on again without recording any detected motion, stayed on for at least 30 minutes before the wife manually switched it off. Logs and screenshot from the app has been sent and hopefully passed onto to developers to review.
gmace001
Guide
Guide
Mine did it last night with no rain. We hadn’t had an alert for hours and my wife said “That light is on again.” Something needs to be done. This is clearly an Arlo software issue and it needs to be fixed. I’m getting tired of having to babysit this thing. I sent in all the information that was requested as well.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Ok this happened again in the early hours of the morning, checking my other cameras, it showed the Arlo floodlight was on for at least 30 mins before the wife moaned about it again and had to switch it off manually.

Agree with other members that I can't just babysit this camera at night, my 2 face neighbours complain about every little thing, I fear their knives are sharpening behind my back!

Arlo, I do really like this camera, best security camera I have ever owned but this little bug\issue is starting to cause me grief, please find a fix as soon as you can!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update was just deployed that should resolve this issue. To receive this update manually, please log in to your Arlo mobile app and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your floodlight > Restart. After the floodlight comes back online tap Device Info and Firmware to start the update. Otherwise, the update will install automatically overnight as long as your floodlight is online.

You can find the release information here: Arlo Floodlight FB1001 - 1.070.19.2_20_d19c2ceb 8th October 2020

JamesC

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Unfortunately when I try to update I get the error "Error triggering base station update".

Please advise?
gmace001
Guide
Guide
I keep saying yes to the update but nothing happens. Then it will ask me again a few minutes later.

Edit: Finally got it to go through. Fingers crossed. At the very least, thank you for keeping us in the loop and working on this issue.
Discussion stats
  • 54 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation