Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
419hamden
Tutor
Tutor
Since around 2pm eastern time camera we not recording or sending notifications. All settings are correct and I can view live video.
90 REPLIES 90
stinman
Tutor
Tutor

How about sharing what happened,how it happened? Did you do anything or did it just start working because I got mine packed up for return because I believe I got one with a defective camera. But we all had some kind of issue like this, you gave us no explanation on how it got fixed? I'm dieing to know, or did it just fix itself? Thanks  I also see your post is from 10/20/19, I bought mine that day and it never worked, I build PC's, gaming PC's, set up networking in homes and small businesses so I know how to set these type of things correctly Thanks if you respond

stinman
Tutor
Tutor

I did all that for you! I re-set it all again 2 times to no avail , I have tried many different things, my orange motion detection light don't even come on at all on 1 of my cameras! It's the Arlo VMS4230p which has the VM?4500 base Station. It's on it's way back to Best Buy. I believe there is a defect in the camera

Fmickey
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was getting video clips after installing Arlo, but with the upgrade it appears that I need a subscription to do so. I subscribed for the basic 7-day service, but no clips are being recorded, and I can find no way to change any related setting. Help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nothing is needed - the updates didn't change anything. What mode is being used - Armed or a custom mode?

Old-dirty
Star
Star
Starting a day or two ago I noticed that my powered arlo pro 2 camera was not recording any more. Live feed was fine, it just didn’t seem to be picking up any motion.

I played around with the settings and what I’ve noticed is that if any activity zone exists, the camera will not detect or record anything. If I delete all of the activity zones then the camera picks up everything.

Any idea what’s going on?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Old-dirty wrote:

I played around with the settings and what I’ve noticed is that if any activity zone exists, the camera will not detect or record anything. If I delete all of the activity zones then the camera picks up everything.

There have been a couple of similar reports here. 

If you create new activity zones on those cameras, does the recording then work properly?  Some folks have found that it does.

Old-dirty
Star
Star
I deleted all zones and started again, recreating what I had before. It went back to not recording.

Strangely, I deleted a third time and created 2 zones instead of the usual 3. I then got a few recordings but for movement outside of the activity zones, but still nothing from within the activity zone which there should have been. I’m not sure what’s going on there, I’ll investigate more tomorrow when it is light again.

In short, no, deleting zones and re-drawing them doesn’t solve the problem.
Old-dirty
Star
Star
An update:

Activity zones are still not working as they should, but after a weekend of playing around with them I’ve found that having only 2 zones seems to work mostly as intended. It’s at least now picking up motion where I want it to, and mostly ignoring motion outside of that area (but not always).

However, if I add the third, yellow, activity zone, then all motion is ignored, wherever it takes place.

This is a problem as I’m trying to cover a curved area and since the pro 2 as it allows for rectangular zones it makes covering the area effectively with just 2 shapes impossible.

Anyone else seeing this or know of a solution?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Old-dirty wrote:

Activity zones are still not working as they should, but after a weekend of playing around with them I’ve found that having only 2 zones seems to work mostly as intended. It’s at least now picking up motion where I want it to, and mostly ignoring motion outside of that area (but not always).

However, if I add the third, yellow, activity zone, then all motion is ignored, wherever it takes place.

That's useful to know. @JamesC: is this a known issue?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue is currently being investigated. I provided the following statement to the community within this thread Oct 31st. 

"The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community."

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

ShayneS 

Arlo Moderator

This issue is currently being investigated. I provided the following statement to the community Oct 31st. 

"The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community."

Where (which forum) would I look at to see the notification that you refer to as being posted by you on Oct. 31st regarding this issue? Thanks for letting me know, as I want to see what resolution was accomplished and when.

SecBust
Star
Star

I am still having this issue.  All activity zones are deleted, and I did have some success with rebooting the base station, but now, no matter what I do, the camera will not detect motion and record.  I can go live on the camera.  

oattao54
Tutor
Tutor

I've had the same problem since last week.

oattao54
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Mine are working again when I remove all activity zones. So activity zones are the problem for this is so called no recording and no video in library. Again thank you alexmereness.

SecBust
Star
Star

Arlo are aware of this fault.  I have just live chatted with one of their consultants who has confirmed that the engineers are working on the issue.  Apparently the range of cameras affected are the Pro, Pro 2 and Arlo Q.  According to the consultant the only temporary fix at the moment is to re-synchronise the camera and only use armed or disarmed mode (ie no custom modes).  The fault is not limited to only those cameras which had activity zones enabled.  Apparently they are going to let people know by email when the fault has been fixed.

This means that there are probably people out there with Arlo systems right now who are unaware of the fault and are relying on their cameras to detect motion for security and other reasons.  Arlo should be notifying people of this fault so that they can take appropriate precautions.  This is a major fault Arlo — a security camera which does not detect motion is not a security camera!

alexmereness
Star
Star

No, I have not contacted tech support. To be honest, in reviewing everyone else's complaint about the same issue, it seems almost silly to work with tech support to be told to reboot my hardware, repair cameras, etc. Notifications and cloud storage work fine now. As long as activity zones are not active. This seems to pretty clearly be larger issue than just my system. For now, I do not trust activity zones. Hopefully this issue gets resolved. If not, I'll be switching to another system. Paying as much as I have for a security system that has a glitch and doesn't record really seems like a big problem. Hopefully your Devs are on top of this. 

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice
SecBust 

Guide

Arlo are aware of this fault.  I have just live chatted with one of their consultants who has confirmed that the engineers are working on the issue.  Apparently the range of cameras affected are the Pro, Pro 2 and Arlo Q.  According to the consultant the only temporary fix at the moment is to re-synchronise the camera and only use armed or disarmed mode (ie no custom modes).  The fault is not limited to only those cameras which had activity zones enabled.  Apparently they are going to let people know by email when the fault has been fixed.

This means that there are probably people out there with Arlo systems right now who are unaware of the fault and are relying on their cameras to detect motion for security and other reasons. 

>>>>>> Arlo should be notifying people of this fault so that they can take appropriate precautions.  <<<<<<
This is a major fault Arlo — a security camera which does not detect motion is not a security camera!

I more than completely agree. I Upvoted your post and hope everyone else does. Arlo alerted people AFTER things have been fixed and the damage has been done is just plainly stupid. Would start a new thread WARNING people and hopefully it would get enough Upvotes for Arlo to wake up. While I am a newbie here I understand from some old timers that Arlo can be responsive BUT often only after there has been an outcry from community.

Mavila503
Aspirant
Aspirant

I own a Arlo Pro Base Station and (2) Arlo Pro Wire-Free Cameras. I have had them for about a year and they have been working just fine until the last update on 11/07/2019.

I have both cameras plugged into AC so they're constantly charged. I normally keep them on GeoFencing mode as I like the system to arm as I leave my residence. A lot of the times when I reenter the zone, they fail to disarm causing several notifications on my phone to let me know they're seeing motion as I enter my residence. I never seen this as a problem and in fact this is how I realized they stopped recording in the first place. 

Since finding out that they stopped recording I have called and spoke to (2) different technicians that instructed me to remove the camera batteries, removing and then re-syncing the cameras, resetting the base station, etc. We were able to get the cameras to identify motion as the IR lights now turn on when motion is detected however, they're still not recording or sending notifications. I am able to live stream and manually record videos. I called back and spoke to a third technician who had me create a custom mode however, they still will not record. 

Based on the above facts, I strongly believe that the update that was pushed out on 11/07/2019 was the cause of my cameras no longer recording. I would just like them to record and notify me, again.

Version: 2. 10.0_26060 (released on 11/07/19)

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the status on this problem? Arlo promised to only inform people when it is fixed which as I stated before seems uncommonly dumb as for those who are NOT even aware of the issue the damage to their security will have already happened. Regardless does anyone know the status of this issue? And if so from where did you get your information? Thanks.

SecBust
Star
Star

I lodged a fault on Tuesday 19 November.  You won't be surprised to hear that my fault is continuing, and I have not heard anything back from Arlo.  Moderators, have you followed this fault up with Arlo?  There could be hundreds of people affected, they just think their cameras have not detected motion.  My camera with the issues won't even make a manual recording so this is some-sort of cloud-based issue, not a physical hardware fault.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Mavila503

Do you happen to have activity zones created for these camera(s)?

Mavila503
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I've always had activity zones set. They've always worked until now.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mavila503 wrote:

Yes, I've always had activity zones set. They've always worked until now.

There is a known issue, particularly if you have three zones set for a camera.

Try deleting the zones, and see if the cameras record normally.  If that resolves the recording problem, then recreate your zones (but don't create more than two right now).

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Geofencing has stopped working .  Hopefully Arlo/Netgear knows and is working on it.  

Johnny1005
Apprentice
Apprentice

I discovered that when I set Activity Zones to my Pro Cameras, I get push notifications only. Videos do not record.

With the Activity Zones active and during darkness, I walked in front of the cameras while armed. I could see the glow of the infrared lights.  I received push notifications. Still there are No recordings.

Upon removing the Activity Zones, the armed Pro cameras operate normally and recording is achieved.

I'm providing information as the cameras are different hardware versions with the same firmware version and your field for, "Model" for this report lacks models for selection.

Camera's Hardware/Firmware:
H14/1.092.0.24_985
H15/1.092.0.24_985

All are synced to:
Arlo Pro3-2k Smarthub
Hardware - VMB4540r2
Firmware - 1.121.1_200_38596b4

I'm looking forwared to a solution to this problem. Activity Zones are needed.