Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 56 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
My arlo pro 2 night vision is terrible. It records, but the video is so dark, it's useless. Is this typical?

The entire point of having cameras is to protect my property--esp at night. Is there any way to improve the video? Will lightening/brightness have any effect??
Thanks
56 REPLIES 56
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The IR LEDs on the Pro2 are good out to about max 20 ft ( pir is good to a max of 25ft )...

IR lighting runs on the inverse sq law... light falls off quickly for distance

can you post shots?

yes, any external lighting can help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
20 feet? I'd be good with that. But every night video is a fog. You cant see anything.
No shots to post, I deleted them. You literally cant see anything but fog.
Highly disappointed in this camera.
Daylight, the video us great. At night, it's worthless.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

here's a pro2 night shot...

small stump in center is 25 ft away or so cam is 6ft high

PROnight.jpg

Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not getting that good of a video. I'd be thrilled with that quality. It's seriously nothing but fog.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

here's last night ...raccoon ( not as sharp )

vlcsnap-2019-06-16-13h11m57s635.png

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you compare to other cameras? 

Or contact Arlo support for possible warranty

Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does adjusting the brightness level make a difference?

I have an Arlo Pro on another property, the night vision is excellent. The pro 2, at least on mine, is nonexistent.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It may, but prob not... test it

the Pro , IMO, has always been better in the dark over the P2

Monkey_501
Guide
Guide

you mentioned fog in a previous post. Is there anything close to the camera. Reflection for IR light can be very bright off of anything close including the wall or guttering.

Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
No. There's nothing in the kens--i checked. My saying "fog" was meant to mean I saw nothing on the video but the IR "darkness".
USMC4EVA
Aspirant
Aspirant
So as a fairly new owner of Arlo Pro 2 ( never owned any other models) when I first installed the cameras the night vision was useless as seen in the picture. Browsing around this forums I came to the conclusion that it was possible that the silicon covers might had something to do with the bad night vision. Needless to say, the silicon covers were covering the IR lights making the image foggy and completely useless. I cut off all the excess silicon that was in the front of the camera and my night vision works great now.
Iss
Guide
Guide
I am getting the same problem on one of my cameras after the latest firmware update.
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

so i just installed my Pro 2 outside and at night its horrible, its dark and its grey. I walked back there and still cant see much. When i toggle the night vision on and off it looks exactly the same. this sucks.. I have an Arlo Q inside and i can see everything great and clear in middle of the night...

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

just hooked mine up outside and same exact issue.. pissed off. I have a Q inside the house and when it is pitch dark it looks amazing.. customer service wants me to send photos but what good is that going to do? from the forums here it appears its a design flaw

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

Brightness makes zero difference, and strangly enough, when i toggle the night vision off on my phone the picture looks exactly the same...no difference

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

how close to gutter downspout will not be an issue? I just see grey fog as well but my camera is mounted roughly 8 inches from the gutter

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

i have no covers on my camera, its naked... and its all grey and washed out still

Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
Do what I did. Return the Pro 2. And get the Pro model. The night vision is much better.
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

i threw away the boxes already

Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
Depending on where you bought the camera, that may not be a problem.
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
Best Buy. But what would I buy in its place ? I would downgrade options with the Pro and I’m sure they won’t exchange with an Ultra as it’s a different base. If I got the Ultra, would my Indoor Q sync up with it too?
Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know nothing about Ultra.

The Pro has much better night vision. What good is a security camera that cant be used in the dark. I'll sacrifice some other options to have night vision.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @elykoj

Have yo tried to reboot your camera or remove & re-sync it to your base station? The Arlo Q does not sync directly to the base station, but it will appear within your account on the web & mobile app as it currently does.

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I’ve tried all those suggested options and none helped.
Discussion stats
  • 56 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation