Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Jay-
Tutor
Tutor
I connected an arlo solar panel to my pro2 camera. It looks like it’s working fine. However, Red battery lightning bolt icon(“battery is charging” icon) is showing on arlo app. Why is it red? Something wrong with it?
I removed and reinstalled app. But it’s still red icon on the app. Please help me.
12 REPLIES 12
GeoLea
Aspirant
Aspirant

What does it mean when the battery charging icon is red?  It's on an outside camera attached to a solar panel.

Screenshot_20210904-104426_Arlo_2.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GeoLea wrote:

What does it mean when the battery charging icon is red?  It's on an outside camera attached to a solar panel.

It means that the camera isn't charging at the moment.

That could be because

• the battery is already full
  • the panel isn't getting sun
  • the temp is too cold for the battery to charge

GeoLea
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Stephen. Saturday was the first time I have seen the red icon and it was red again on Sunday. I note that it was very overcast on Saturday and Sunday. Also, I had just updated the Arlo app (Android phone) on either Friday or Saturday, so I’m guessing these may be new icons they introduced in the update.

Just to confirm, is it safe to always leave the solar panel plugged in to the camera, even when the battery is at 100%? It’s not going to ‘overcharge’ and damage the battery? I have only recently added the solar panel, and since then the battery level has remained pretty consistently at 100%.

Dannybear
Master
Master
There is similar thread below that suggested the icon colour is normal.

I would have thought that a red status indication is a flag to say that the device is operating outside of design range and needs investigation.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Using-Wasserstein-solar-panel-to-charge-my-Pro-2-but-seeing...
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GeoLea wrote:

Just to confirm, is it safe to always leave the solar panel plugged in to the camera, even when the battery is at 100%? It’s not going to ‘overcharge’ and damage the battery? I have only recently added the solar panel, and since then the battery level has remained pretty consistently at 100%.

Yes, it is safe to leave it plugged in all the time.

Choosing a red icon color for a normal status was (IMO) a poor choice on Arlo's part.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, it's a new UI change that wasn't announced nor has the documentation been updated yet.

Jay-
Tutor
Tutor
So, everything is normal. No need to worry, right?
Thank you for your reply.
Jay-
Tutor
Tutor
Ok, I’ll read them all. Thank you!
GeoLea
Aspirant
Aspirant

Totally agree, red is typically used as a warning.  Thank you!

Kaveman
Tutor
Tutor
Have my 3 Arlo pro cameras hooked to solar panels. Up until anout a week ago everything worked fine. But now my battery icon is red with a red lightning bolt when at 100%. Never was like this before. Was this changed or is something wrong. I tried unplugging the panel and plugging back in and taking out the battery and putting back in. Nothing works. This is all support had me do. Everything is still working fine, just dont know about the RED icon. Only turns red once the batteries get to 100%.
Screenshot_20210908-154549_Arlo.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kaveman wrote:
Everything is still working fine, just dont know about the RED icon. Only turns red once the batteries get to 100%.

Arlo changed the UI to let you know that the battery isn't charging.  So nothing is wrong (although I think they made a poor choice when they decided on a red icon for normal status).   You will also see this also at night, or when it's too cold for the battery to charge.

They put out a knowledge base article on the change yesterday - https://kb.arlo.com/1179176/What-do-my-Arlo-camera-s-battery-level-icons-and-notifications-mean

Kaveman
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you. I knew about the icon when its cold but was just confused a tad bit because it isnt cold around here yet lol. Thanks so much for replying.
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation